Star Trek

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Star Trek

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:57 pm

Beam Me Up
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 am

How complicated is the rule system? My brain can't handle anything complex (like GURPS) right now.

Will this be more Star Trek or The Orville? :D

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:27 am

I've never been in a Star Trek game before. Sounds interesting.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by Orvost » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:15 pm

Shurijo wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:30 am
How complicated is the rule system? My brain can't handle anything complex (like GURPS) right now.

Will this be more Star Trek or The Orville? :D
Rule System: The ship-to-ship combat system dates to the late 70s. The character rpg dates to the early 80s. Back then, if you didn't want your game to be a d&d clone, you used a d100 percentile system. The 90s saw an explosion of dice pool systems. The early 2000s saw a proliferation of d20s. Anyway, FASA Star Trek is a 2d10/d100 percentile system. You have stats, you have skills. Most rolls are against an average of a stat and a skill. It's fairly straightforward and there are no tradeoffs: the higher your abilities and skills, the better.

FASA started making content around the time of Star Trek's second movie. They stopped making content about halfway through the second season of TNG. This Star Trek RPG was made by true fans for the sake of fans. They were true to the established cannon of the time and necessity required them to fill out the universe in a way that contradicted subsequent cannon in some areas. Compared to current Star Trek writers, who have complete poetic license and no respect for, or obligation to past cannon, the FASA developers did a supurb job and FASA universe still has many fans in the trekie community.

Atmosphere: My game won't be a commedy. It will hopefully be a little grittier than Roddenberry's idealized, utopian view of The Federation.

Characters: This will be a Star Fleet campaign catered toward human characters. Characters will be department heads rather than Captain or first officer, so to avoid redundant duties, players should decide which role they want to take on:

Communications (damage control)
Engineering
Helm (weapons)
Medicine
Navigation (shields)
Science (sensors)
Security

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:58 pm

I'm generally familiar with Star Trek (seen most TV series, all except DeepSpace9 or whatever that was, and all movies), but I don't know the different terms used for things. Is there a wiki that has all of the weapons, terminals, sensors, medic item, etc. described? Like a player's handbook?

I understand all of the roles, but I'd like to look deeper to see how effective my character concepts might be.

Also, what year will this occur in? I'm a fan of Star Trek: Enterprise years - the early years (when they first made contact with Vulcans and it was basically humans just discovering things and places). Show wasn't great, but I liked those first contacts years.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:48 pm

You guys should use 2d20. Missing out.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:43 pm

Shurijo wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:58 pm
I'm generally familiar with Star Trek (seen most TV series, all except DeepSpace9 or whatever that was, and all movies), but I don't know the different terms used for things. Is there a wiki that has all of the weapons, terminals, sensors, medic item, etc. described? Like a player's handbook?

I understand all of the roles, but I'd like to look deeper to see how effective my character concepts might be.

Also, what year will this occur in? I'm a fan of Star Trek: Enterprise years - the early years (when they first made contact with Vulcans and it was basically humans just discovering things and places). Show wasn't great, but I liked those first contacts years.
Good question. The timeline will be around the time Kirk is Captain of the Enterprise, maybe a few years before. The original series will be the closest approximation to the tech level.

When we get a game thread going, I'll make a comprehensive list of skills in the character creation section.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Sat May 02, 2020 8:18 pm

So how do I make a new game thread? It's been a while since I ran something here.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun May 03, 2020 7:40 pm

Just PM Vardaen or myself the name of the game/forum and a very short description (paragraph or so), and we'll make one for you.

Orvost
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Orvost » Sun May 03, 2020 8:48 pm

PM sent. Thanks, Shurijo.