Any interest in another Star Wars game? (Jedi)

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Any interest in another Star Wars game? (Jedi)

Post by Shurijo » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:09 pm

Wookieepedia links for JSC

Canon (not really much more than I've already said):
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jedi_Service_Corps

Legends (not really much more than the canon text)
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jedi_S ... ps/Legends

Jedi Initiate Trials (some small info on what happens if an Initiate fails the trials, doesn't choose, or isn't picked by a JK or Master)
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jedi_Initiate_Trials

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:50 pm

Anyone else interested?

I'm okay running it with 2 players. Additionally, we can use the discord dice roller - if the players use discord - otherwise, I'll roll the dice there for GM/player transparency.

If anyone else is interested and doesn't want to play a Jedi, we can always find room for that character. Also note, during High Republic would also mean lots of species, organizations, etc. that existed prior to Clone Wars and Empire still exist (such as Mandalorians as they were before the Siege). There's also no "known" Sith running around and no Imperial troops for bad guys - the bad guys will be mostly pirates, outlaws, sum, villainy, and wannabe rulers/crime bosses and Dark Jedi because more Jedi means more Dark Jedi as well (and maybe maybe eventually a Sith).

Alternatively, if more people prefer the OT timeline, we can start around Order 66 (after III: ROTS aka Clone Wars) and progress from there.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:18 am

I'm brainstorming a padawan. He's going to be an Arkanian offshoot with the human genes.

I remember being introduced to the FFG system with Edge of the Empire, and I wasn't a fan. I've gotten pretty used to 5e though, so I'd like to try out the 5e homebrew for Star Wars.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Sep 12, 2020 3:21 am

I'll throw my hat in the ring. All of the PCs I've played in Star Wars were regular people, I've never played a Jedi type person.

I'm good with whatever System we go for. I've got a few years of FFG Star Wars experience under my belt, but can learn Saga or whatever as well.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Graven
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Rigger

Post by Graven » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:50 am

I'm super not up on SW lore, but colour me interested
I'm pretty ok with whatever system
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:15 am

Shurijo wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:50 pm
Alternatively, if more people prefer the OT timeline, we can start around Order 66 (after III: ROTS aka Clone Wars) and progress from there.
I'm good with the proposed High Republic setting, but I do have a long-standing character idea that only makes much sense in the aftermath of Order 66.

I should note that my schedule is rather full right now, so I might be slowish in statting up a character.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:55 am

Dark Times (the era between Order 66 and ANH) is certainly the easiest time to DM and play in, and it is fun. A little harder to justify a bunch of Jedi, unless it's a pocket that went to ground. Or if not everyone wants to play a Jedi.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:30 pm

Well, maybe if we play Dark Time era, everybody can just make a secondary non-Jedi character if they make a primary Jedi character ... Eventually, the Jedi PCs will dwindle ...

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:08 pm

By Gal-Stod Slagistrough, AgriCorps Jedi wrote: The final branch of the Jedi Service Corps is the most far-flung. This Exploration Corps considers the whole galaxy its territory, and its members are rarely found in the Jedi Temple (save for ranking Masters, who report to the Reassignment Council). Instead, small ExplorCorps outposts can be found in practically every Republic Ordinance or Regional Depots (ORD), some of them dating back 10,000 years.

These refueling and resupply outposts are used for staging expeditions into the nearby space. The mission of the ExplorCorps is to uncover new planets, artifacts, species, creatures, and hyperroutes, and to assist any innocents they may find in the course of their adventures.

At each ORD base, the ExplorCorps team operates a few long-range scout ships, each light on armament but heavy on sensors and consumables. Members of the ExplorCorps are responsible for making first contact with any species that might join the Republic. It is a huge honor to represent the face of the galactic coalition.

Not every species is friendly at first, so the ExplorCorps sees the most combat of any of the Jedi Service Corps. it also has the highest proportion of Knights and Masters serving in its ranks. Some Masters specialize in the art of Force navigation, a technique that uses outward-directed mediation to smooth the tangles of hyperspace and penetrate territories believed to be off-limits. The ExplorCorps is slowly chipping away at the expanse of the Unknown Regions, one system at a time.

In addition to managing the ORD bases, the ExplorCorps operates a number of praxeum ships. Initiates who move on to a career in the ExplorCorps will sooner or later find themselves aboard one of these mobile training academies, where they can continue their education while helping out with long-term space missions.

The ExplorCorps is affiliated with both the Republic Survey Corps and the Intergalactic Zoological Society. The Academy of Jedi Archaeology is also affiliated with the ExplorCorps, whose members uncover relics and inspections that are then turned over to the Educational Corps for translation.
Praxeum Ship info and blueprints https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Praxeum_ship

ExplorCorps scount ship https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/ExplorCorps_scout_ship

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:52 pm

If you want to know more about the times Graven, here's some helpful info.

BBY = Before the Battle of Yavin (this is like the BC abbreviation for galactic history)
ABY = see above, but "After"
Battle of Yavin: The battle over Yavin 4 in Episode IV: A New Hope (first in Original Trilogy). The first Death Star is destroyed. Victory for the Rebels.

I take "before the prequels" to mean before the first prequel movie begins proper at runtime 00:00, so in that case we are at 182 BBY. Or somewhere around there. I'm not familiar with much outside of the movies and the games, but Kotor 1 and Kotor 2 take place just shy of 4000 BBY. So the Jedi Civil War was a long-ass time ago. Save for those belonging to races with super longevity like the crokes, there's no living memory of it. It likely would be taught in a history class, but to save some folks from spoilers it probably won't be referenced directly.

The High Republic Era was a golden age for the Galactic Republic and the Jedi Order. This is a good era to pick to conjure up conflicts and sinister plots. The Dark Times is the name of a comic series, and another term for the Imperial Era, which succeeded Episode III and ended in 5 ABY. Luke Skywalker blew up the Death Star during the Dark Times.

Dark Times vs High Republic
tbh I think that if we touch the prequels or play after the prequels, they should basically be rewritten. I like Belated Media's what-if reimagining of the events of the prequel trilogy (it is the only one I know, but I think it's pretty neat). Why shouldn't we be able to get away with adding more Force users? Maybe surviving Jedi went back to their abandoned enclaves and ventured out only to find new students to train in secret, ignoring the age restriction because they're desperate for a resurgence or just companionship in solitude. But I'd rather we pick an era where we can more easily justify Jedi walking around in the open, whether that means DM meddling or not.

All-in-all, I'd prefer that we try to keep Force Sensitivity an option if/when we lose characters as the story progresses, and avoid making this a gauntlet.