Any interest in another Star Wars game? (Mandalorians)

This forum for new game announcements, looking for players for existing games, seeking interest in new games, and requesting new games to be run.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:13 pm

Any interest in another Star Wars game? Set around the same timeframe/era as "The Mandalorian" Disney+ show.

The focus will be more Mandalorian focused - more combat, more cool weapons and armor and equipment. You'll be part of Lady Bo-Katan's resistance movement trying to take back Mandalore from the Empire and Imperial Remnants. You'll be going on missions to find or rescue other Mandalorians, acquire weapons and supplies, etc. You may fight against other Mandalorians, the Empire, the New Republic, mercenaries, gangs, pirates, etc.

I envision everyone starting at "knight" level (Mandalorian species and then +150 xp) with some pre-selected gear (basic weapons and armor). You'll not be "Children of the Watch" (the cult the "Mando" is part of in the show), you'll be normal Mandalorians. However, you may determine your own Clan and House customs and traditions (if its a new house/clan). For backstory, you'll need to know how you fit into all of the previous Mandalore history.

Also, I know **any species** can be Mandalorian by creed, but I've never seen a canon instance of any species other than human Mandalorian (in modern era, not counting the original native species of Mandalore), so everyone will be human Mandalorians.

This game will not cross over with the ongoing "Dark Times" (Jedi) campaign, since this takes place around 20 years after that campaign starts.

Things to ponder:

1) Was your clan exiled by or join the New Mandalorians? (32 BBY, about 37 years prior to game start)

2) Did your clan join Death Watch? (20 BBY, about 25 years prior to game start)

3) Did your clan join Bo-Katan in Siege of Mandalore against Death Watch, or did you fight alongside Death Watch against the Republic clone troopers & Bo-Katan? (19 BBY, about 24 years prior to start)

4) If you didn't join Bo-Katan and/or joined Death Watch, did your clan join with Empire under Gar Saxon? (18 BBY, about 23 years prior to start)?

5) Which side (if any) did you\your clan fight on during the "Second Civil War" (Clan Saxon vs Clan Wren and Bo-Katan)? (2 BBY, about 7 years ago)

6) How did you survive and where did you go after the Great Purge? (unknown, about 6 years ago)

7) How did you find the Mandalorian Resistance (led by Bo-Katan) (anytime within last few years)

Timeline
  • 9 ABY - The Mandalorian show starts
  • 5 ABY - ************* Game Start **********
  • 2 ABY – Battle of Endor
  • 0 BBY – Battle of Yavin
  • (Approximate) Great Purge. Empire desecrates Mandalore. Lady Bo-Katan loses possession of the Darksaber.
  • 1 BBY – Tiber Saxon succeeds his brother becoming Governor of Mandalore. Sabine Wren leads Mandalorian strike team to infiltrate Tiber Saxon’s Star Destroyer to destroy the Arc Pulse Generator. Tiber Saxon presumed dead. Ends the “Second Civil War.” Sabine Wren gives Darksaber to Lady Bo-Katan.
  • 2 BBY – Gar Saxon dies at the hands of Ursa Wren (leader of Clan Wren). The “Second Civil War” begins with Clan Saxon (backed by the Empire) against Clan Wren's insurrection joined by Lady Bo-Katan's Clan Kryze, Clan Vizsla, Clan Rook, Clan Eldar, and Fenn Rau (the last surviving member of the Mandalorian Protectors).
  • 2 BBY – Jedi Knight Kanan Jarrus finds Darksaber in Maul’s Dathomir lair. Darksaber given to Sabine Wren.
  • ---
  • 18 BBY – With aid of the Empire, Clan Saxon forces Lady Bo-Katan out of power. Viceroy Gar Saxon rules Mandalore on behalf of the Empire. Empire seizes control of Mandalore via occupation. Imperial Academy of Mandalore established in Sundari. Clan Saxon begins to transform into “Imperial Supercommandos.”
  • 19 BBY - Siege of Mandalore. At the request of Lady-Bo Katan, Ashoka Tano lead a division of the GAR 501st alongside Mandalorian rebels against Death Watch and Maul who rules Mandalore. After defeating them, Lady Bo-Katan becomes Regent of Mandalore.
  • 20 BBY – Aided by Maul, Death Watch conquers Mandalore. Using Maul’s criminal enterprises to create mass panic, Death Watch comes to Mandalore’s rescue promising to protect them. Satine arrested. Pre Vizsla becomes Prime Minister and Mand’alor. Betraying Maul, Pre Vizsla arrests Maul. After escaping prison, Maul challenges Pre Vizsla to combat, kills him, takes the Darksaber, and becomes Mand’alor. Maul kills Satine. Maul reappoints Prime Minister Almec to serve as puppet leader. Death Watch splinters with Lady Bo-Katan (Satine’s sister) leading the resistance which begins another Mandalorian civil war.
  • 20 BBY - Mandalorian economy struggles due to a lack key Republic supply routes. Prime Minister Almec establishes black market with smugglers. After smugglers’ tea supply unintentionally mass poisons Mandalorian children, Almec arrested and sent to prison.
  • 21 BBY - Mandalore declares neutrality in Clone Wars. Death Watch attempts to take back Mandalore with Separatist assistance. Death Watch assassinations continue and evidence links attacks to the Confederacy.
  • (Approximate) – Some exiled clans unite to form Death Watch. Death Watch opposes the pacifistic New Mandalorian government. Death Watch secretly led by Concordia’s Governor Pre Vizsla and Satine’s sister Bo-Katan. Pre Vizsla has Darksaber.
  • 32-35 BBY – Mandalorian Civil War. Warrior clans and insurgents fight against the New Mandalorian pacifist government led by Duchess Satine Kryze of House Kryze. Qui-Gon Jinn and Kenobi protects Satine from bounty hunters. At end of war, Satine rules Mandalore and warriors clans are exiled to Concordia (moon of Mandalore).
In case you need more "Mando lore," here's some shows available on Disney+ in case you haven't already seen them or if you'd like to rewatch.

TV Shows order (watch top to bottom)
  • 21 BBY - Clone Wars Season 2, Episode 12 “The Mandalore Plot”
  • 21 BBY - Clone Wars Season 2, Episode 13 “Voyage of Temptation”
  • 21 BBY - Clone Wars Season 2, Episode 14 “Duchess of Mandalore”
  • 21 BBY - Clone Wars Season 3, Episode 5 “Corruption”
  • 21 BBY - Clone Wars Season 3, Episode 6 “The Academy”
  • 20 BBY - Clone Wars Season 4, Episode 14 “A Friend in Need”
  • 19 BBY - Clone Wars Season 5, Episode 14 “Eminence”
  • 19 BBY - Clone Wars Season 5, Episode 15 “Shades of Reason”
  • 19 BBY - Clone Wars Season 5, Episode 16 “The Lawless”
  • 19 BBY - Clone Wars Season 7, Episode 9 “Old Friends Not Forgotten”
  • 19 BBY - Clone Wars Season 7, Episode 10 “The Phantom Apprentice”
  • 19 BBY - Clone Wars Season 7, Episode 11 “Shattered”
  • 3 BBY – Rebels Season 2, Episode 13 “The Protector of Concord Dawn”
  • 2 BBY – Rebels Season 3, Episode 7 “Supercommandos”
  • 3 BBY – Rebels Season 3, Episode 15 “Trials of the Darksaber”
  • 3 BBY – Rebels Season 3, Episode 16 “Legacy of Mandalore”
  • 3 BBY – Rebels Season 4, Episode 1-2 “Heroes of Mandalore”
  • 5 BBY - game starts here
  • 9 ABY - The Mandalorian begins

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:33 pm

Potentially interested. Wouldn't mind playing a bounty hunter. ^_^

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Any interest in another Star Wars game? (Mandalorians)

Post by Shurijo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Othniel wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:33 pm
Potentially interested. Wouldn't mind playing a bounty hunter. ^_^
That would work. BH could provide supplemental income to the covert and others could either aid or go off and acquire other goods while you're tracking.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:23 pm

How much Mandalorian lore are you expecting players to know? I've watched Star Wars Rebels and season 1 of The Mandalorian (and don't mind being spoiled on season 2) and I'm willing to look stuff up on Wookiepedia.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:28 pm

That would be more than enough. Basically, I'd just expect everyone to understand basics of Mandalorian culture, importance of clans, inheritance and importance of family armor, and more importantly why they are doing what they are doing (which is the underlying plot).

Also, most of the pacifist Mandalorians (aka "New Mandalorians") aren't around (possibly slaves, killed, or just scattered throughout the galaxy), so the PCs would be more of the old Mandalorians (the warriors, opposed to artists).

Underlying plot - You're part of the Mandalorian Resistance seeking to overthrow the Imperial Remnants (and any other faction or creatures) on the planet of Mandalore, see a new Mand'alor (leader of Mandalorians), and have Mand'alor lead the restored planet of Mandalore to greatness.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:35 pm

OK, I'll need to read a bit on the Madalorian factions and history on Wookiepedia, but that should be fine.

Would there be room for a character like Sabine Wren's father, who fights with his art? I'm not thinking a total non-combatant, but a character who is less combat focused then some.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:22 pm

Would you mean someone sorta like Sabine, who tags stuff with her art? That could be easy to RP. Or do you meant taking a career and specialization like Performer or Politico?

I like the idea. I mean there's bound to be some New Mandalorians (sorta what I'd call Sabine's father) who are also fighting to restore Mandalore -- they just have different political opinions what happens after Mandalore is restored. There was a big pacifist movement which ruled Mandalore during Clone Wars called "New Mandalorians." I feel Alrich Wren was more aligned with that cause than the old Mandalorians.

As far as a party member, I can see someone like Alrich Wren having a spouse (or family member) who is more "old Mandalorian" (like Ursa Wren, Sabine's mother). They might have died, so he took their armor and is now fighting beside her friends/clan/allies to restore Mandalore. I could imagine Alrich and Ursa meet before the New Mandalorians came into power and stayed together, even thought they had different political views on future of Mandalore.

I feel that most Mandalorian PCs aren't the ones who resolve battles with charm. If you could make it work with the rest of the crew, then I'm fine with it. Just note that most of the times, Mando PCs will go guns first rather than take the non-combat route.

The "Death Watch" universal specialization will be available (and required, extra XP will be provided), so you could take a career and spec like doctor/performer, then buy Death Watch to get some Mando\combat skills.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:24 pm

Death Watch is a really nice spec. I do think that Charm has a place, even in an all-Mandalorian group. Mandalorians appreciate good tactics and strategy, and there is a time and a place to avoid a battle when it may be suicide. That said, I will probably dump XP into Coercion. :P

I didn't necessarily mean a bounty hunter character so much as the career. I'm also looking tentatively at Explorer. Big Game Hunter paired with Death Watch is kinda cool. But who knows what I'll end up building if this gets off the ground.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:02 pm

I haven't thought the matter through more clearly. I may go with a more conventional Mandalorian character. I may go with a Mandalorian ninja. I just wanted to see what the range of options was.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:04 am

If you want to go more unconventional, that's fine with me. We can figure out how to make it work.

I envisioned everyone having Death Watch specialization, so armor jetpack and other Mando like things, but having different career and initial specialization as well. The initial gear and some credits specifically for mods and attachments would also be provided. I also envisioned everyone starting with Mando armor that had some legacy (at least a small bit of history).

The gist will still be doing jobs for resources and possibly hunting down those who "destroyed" Mandalore. But there's a lot of room there for different careers.