I HATE d20 armor rules

This is for House Rules, NPCs, Monsters, and conversions can go here. Discussions relating to third-party content such as DM's Guild products and submissions of publications.
od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

I HATE d20 armor rules

Post by od » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Or as I prefer to call them "screw the fighter rules"

Let's be honest, there are mechanics all over DnD to give folks an AC bonus. The common modes are feats and class mechanics.

Well, jeeze lets see...Monk...better AC no penalties. Dodge feats...better AC no penalties. Swashbuckler class better AC no penalties.

Wizards...it costs a spell.

Then we get to armor...lets see, well it costs feats...that some classes get for free as a feature. Penatlies...well it has a max dex penalty...hmmm, a skill penalty, a magic use penalty, and of course a movement penalty and a donning time penalty.

Seriously? I mean come on.

I get that it's there for "realism" but I find it infinitely annoying. Henrik is a good example, on average I get the feeling his aC isn't very far from the rest of the party, maybe a point or two difference. But guess what...his movement SUCKS. Ya know why? because his AC is from armor.

Anyway...that's my rant. I think there should be a feat to either remove the movement penalty...or it should just be gone entirely. Seriously there are already 3 other penalties.

And screw realism here, its unrealistic that the guy in the walking tin can is as hard to hurt and the dude in his skivies.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: I HATE d20 armor rules

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:41 pm

I think the problem comes down to armor bolstering AC. I don't think it should. I think it should bolster damage reduction. That's not the way D&D is setup though. I wouldn't be opposed to a feat that nullified movement restrictions. Basically, you'd have 2 feats.

Armored Quickness: Reduce movement penalties by 10.

Armored Quickness II: Reduce movement penalties by 15.

That would take care of both medium and heavy.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:13 pm

I'm confused by the second feat is all Tet, heavy armor has a penalty for running, but not normal movement. 20 feet is as slow as a medium creature goes.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Whoops. I was thinking more along the lines of encumbrance in general. You could scratch the second feat. The first would need to be altered as well to indicate one 'level' of movement penalty in case you already move at a 20 base for whatever reason.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name