House Rules

This is for House Rules, NPCs, Monsters, and conversions can go here. Discussions relating to third-party content such as DM's Guild products and submissions of publications.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: House Rules

Post by TetNak » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:36 am

As far as core goes, yeah, there is only one feat that messes with init.

There probably are others in suppliments but none that I know of off the top of my head.

The one thing I would actually like to see D&D got to is the health level system like L5R. It could be as basic as, 10% of your HP are gone, you are 10% as affective, etc
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:54 am

Yeah... that would please me, too... I hate HP-style systems for that.

On the other hand, as Vman pointed out, it's not so bad that I don't play them.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:33 am

There is a Superior Initiative Feat, but its Epic Level I believe, its make you a speed demon, but one of its Pre Req is a high Dex to start with.

Oh, Stappling to a Chicken would clearly give you -3 Init, but +3 Perform (Jester) skill!

One thing that is mentioned is that any stuational mod can be applied to bascically anything you do in 3.5. It makes it very easy for a DM to take each sitution as it comes. Unlike in 2nd, with everything running off the same mechanic you can apply broad mods that effect all sort of things. Stuck in the mud -2 check to all dex and str related abilties (attack, ac, init, ref save, tumble skill, jump skill, etc) Just kissed by a Mime, -2 to all social interaction and self esteem issues (will save, diplomacy, disguise, perform (unless you are a mime then you get +2), etc)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kakita_Gokumoro
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Kakita_Gokumoro » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:45 am

Bitom wrote:Yeah... that would please me, too... I hate HP-style systems for that.

On the other hand, as Vman pointed out, it's not so bad that I don't play them.
Just wanted to add my $0.24...

The Star Wars system handles the Hit Point-style combat nicely, by giving a large buffer of Vitality Points, representing your character's ability to just barely escape certain doom, turning the blaster shot that would have caved in his chest into a singe on the outside of his bicep. However, once a character gets into Wound Points, he's a hurtin' unit, making Fort saves every time he takes Wound damage to remain conscious and having his attributes reduced even if he succeeds his Save. Critical hits deal damage directly to Wound Points, but do NOT have their damage values doubled.

This system of tracking HPs is introduced to the D&D game in the Unearthed Arcana book.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Tossing Sand In The Eyes

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:44 am

From WOTC website article, "Fighting Dirty"

House Rule Alert!: I have a variation of the feinting rules in my game, where a character performs the classic "throw sand in their eyes" technique. As a move action, a character can scoop up dirt, sand, or the like and then attempt the feint as normal. The character can do this only in the right sort of terrain (DM fiat here). If he succeeds at this feint, the target makes a DC 10 Reflex save or is blinded for 1 round. I also allow this tactic to work only once during a single combat -- I assume that no one would fall for it twice in a row and that any of the opponent's allies would get savvy to any further attempts.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Ninja Ki Dodge

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:55 am

After reading some forums on WOTC I found a nice arguement about the Ninja's Ki Dodge ability. As a result I'm going to use the houserule for this.

Ki Dodge lasts a for 1 round/2 levels of the ninja.

This really only applies to Toranoshi in the Mahasarpa game, but just in case someone else uses the Ninja Class (From Comp Adventure/Dragon Mag 315).

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Ninja Ki Dodge

Post by Shurijo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:57 am

Maybe you guys should make an Encyclopedia for House Rules? It seems this thread has quite a few in it.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:01 am

What about if you're a ninja RL like me?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:28 am

TetNak wrote:What about if you're a ninja RL like me?
Then we paint you orange and you get stuck to a wall.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:52 am

If you were a RL ninja we wouldn't know it, since you'd be all ninja like.