House Rules

This is for House Rules, NPCs, Monsters, and conversions can go here. Discussions relating to third-party content such as DM's Guild products and submissions of publications.
Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Re: Multi Class Skill Update!

Post by Wayloss » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:21 am

V that's odd as you had always done that with me...:) But I've been making charachters like that for a long time..luckily all mine with multi's are grandfatherd. and why i took the human paragon with Devan to give him tumble as a class skill for all classes ;-)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Ignoring a Flanker

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:56 pm

A Totally Unofficial Rule for Dealing with Foes Trying to Flank You From Wizard of the Coast Website.

From Skip Willams
Jonathan Tweet (co-designer of the D&D 3rd edition game) and I have had many opportunities to ponder the tactical aspects of flanking and what you might be able to do about it if you find yourself flanked. After one extended discussion not long ago, Jonathan proposed the basics of the following rule, and I present it here, with some tweaks:

You can disregard attacks from an opponent flanking you. When you do, that opponent doesn't get the +2 flanking bonus when attacking you and that opponent does not provide a flanking bonus to any of its allies. Ignoring a flanker, however, provokes an attack of opportunity from that flanker, and you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against that flanker. You do, however, continue to threaten that flanker.

If the flanker is out of attacks of opportunity, you can ignore the flanker (and deny the flanking bonus) with impunity.

If you can't see (or locate) the flanker, you disregard the flanker by default, and you provoke the attack of opportunity.

You must make the decision to disregard a flanker as soon as the foe moves into a flanking position. You can change your decision as a free action on your turn. (You still must disregard a flanker you can't see.)

Designer's Notes: This rule gives certain creatures the option to ignore flankers when they don't pose any real danger to them. Lycanthropes facing foes that aren't armed with silver weapons, as well as characters with very high Armor Classes facing much weaker foes, can soften the effects of being surrounded. Many other creatures can use the rule to limit sneak attacks against them, but at the risk of extra attacks of opportunity from other foes. This rule also means that you often cannot provide a flanking bonus to your allies if you're out of attacks of opportunity (though foes may have a hard time determining exactly when that situation occurs).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Toptomcat
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Ignoring a Flanker

Post by Toptomcat » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:26 am

A proposal for a feat that allows you to add Dexterity, not Strength, to damage was proposed and met with a favorable response earlier in this thread.
While it makes some sense logically, it has some balance problems. A feat like that essentially turns Dexterity into a God stat. With that feat, Dex adds to attack, damage, AC, and initiative, allowing Dexterity-focused characters to become disturbingly powerful.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Heroic Healing Skill

Post by Vardaen » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:39 am

Optional (XCrawl) Healing Skill Use

This optional rule has been in use in all of my games, and several others on the site but no posting was ever made about it.

With a successfull Heal Skill check DC 20, a healer might restore hit points to another. The number of HPs recovered is equal to 1/Level of the Person Being Healed. This would grant more HPs to higher level characters that have more to gain and a longer way to go.

A few options:
You can only do this once per day per person or perhaps once per combat that you sustained injuries in.

The DC is +5 to Heal yourself.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Taking 2

Post by Bitom » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:37 pm

I think that a rule on "Taking 2" would be of benefit.

If your modifiers are equal to or greater than the DC, you don't need to roll and risk a 1(Auto-fail). You just succeed.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Re: Taking 2

Post by od » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:03 pm

"Unlike with attack rolls and saving throws, a natural roll of 20 on the d20 is not an automatic success, and a natural roll of 1 is not an automatic failure."

If your modifier is higher than the difficulty you cannot fail a skill roll ever.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Re: Taking 2

Post by od » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:22 am

This just came up in Hordelands, Bit was counting movement through ally occupied squares as double movement (rough terrain basically). When I asked him about it we didn't find anything in the srd...so

Is this a house rule that has seen use at the site before?

Or is it a phb thing that the srd missed?

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Hork

Post by Bitom » Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:40 pm

In Maha2, V and I have put together rules for initiating a grapple by throwing a spiked chain over the neck of an opponent. We call this special maneuver the Hork.

Hork: (Modified grapple)
1) Roll Hide and Move silently to sneak up behind oppponent. If these are not successful, hork fails.
2) No AoO: they don't know you're there.
3) Touch attack: Uses chain's AB, with any bonuses the character has (Including weapon finesse)
4)Grapple check: Uses chain's Magic bonus on Grapple bonus (No Weapon Finesse)
Damage: Chain damage + sneak attack

In subsequent rounds, continuing the Grapple will do the chain's damage

Damage is physical damage, not subdual. it's nasty.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Re: Hork

Post by od » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 am

Seems like you should have to have a special feat to do this. Getting a grapple and doing damage in the same action is non-standard...which screams feat.

Otherwise the rules makes sense.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Grenades for realism freaks

Post by Bitom » Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:11 am

BrokenWire pointed out that the grenade rules in almost every system are seriously broken. Here's what I propose (Rules written from a D20 standpoint)

Grenades detonate at the END of the next action of the person throwing them. (You therefore can run up, throw a grenade, then on our next action shoot and dive for cover, but other people can dive for cover to avoid the blast if they notice the grenade at all.)

Spotting a grenade is a DC10 spot check, with some caveats:
  • if you beat the DC by less than five (10-14) you are aware that a grenade was thrown and who threw it
  • if you beat the DC by between 5 and 10 (15-20) you are aware if you are within the blast radius of the grenade and who threw it.
  • if you beat the DC by more than 10 (21+) you are aware of precisely where the grenade is.
  • the thrower of the grenade gets +10 to his roll (He always knows that he threw it, and has a pretty good chance at tracking where it went.)