Vardaen's House Rule Thread - d20

This is for House Rules, NPCs, Monsters, and conversions can go here. Discussions relating to third-party content such as DM's Guild products and submissions of publications.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Vardaen's House Rule Thread - d20

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:25 am

I have decided to try and collect my various house rules for my d20 style games in one nice location. Many of these rules are already in place, and are collected from other threads. Each house rule will apply to different systems, but all of them will be for d20 games (D&D 3.5, PFRPG and Warcraft RPG). House rule for WH40K and L5R will remain in their relevant OOC forums or perhaps in another thread in this forum. Since I do have so many d20 games, I think its best to collect all the rules here that overlap.
WoW continues to have its house rule thread since that system is considerably different from some of the other d20 games, and there is no need to clutter this area with all those changes. However some of these rules will pertain to WoW as well.

War Mill - WoW House Rule Thread
Many previous house rules found in other threads in this forum are dated, or old, and have fallen by the way side. Only rules found in this thread are still being honored by me in my d20 games.
You can also download the most recent character sheets, for all of my games, from the following location:

Vardaen's Character Sheets

You can also download the fonts I use for character sheets, combat tokens and other neat fots in my font store here:

Vardaen's Fonts
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Vardaen's House Rule Thread - d20

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:34 am

Dodge Feat Update
Games: 3.5, WoW
Prerequisite Dex 13.

Benefit
During your action, you designate an opponent and receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks from that opponent. You can select a new opponent on any action.

A condition that makes you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) also makes you lose dodge bonuses. Also, dodge bonuses stack with each other, unlike most other types of bonuses.

Special
A fighter may select Dodge as one of his fighter bonus feats.
Dodge (Combat)
Your training and reflexes allow you to react swiftly to avoid an opponents' attacks.

Prerequisite: Dex 13.

Benefit: You gain a +1 dodge bonus to your AC. A condition that makes you lose your Dex bonus to AC also makes you lose the benefits of this feat.
This change effectively turns the dodge feat into the Pathfinder RPG version of the feat. I make this change because of the nature of PbP, and to make the spending of a feat, already scarce as they are, worth a little bit more. (Character's in my current games updated.)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:45 am

Group Stealth/Perception Checks
Games: 3.5, Pathfinder, WoW

I quote from a PM from Trogdor
Any time you require the entire group to make successful Stealth checks you're basically saying that the group will be discovered. Even assuming that everyone has a halfway decent Stealth check (which we know isn't the case), the odds that at least one person will roll poorly is extremely large. For example, with six people rolling, there's an 82% chance that at least one will roll a 5 or under. In fact, with four people rolling, there's a better than one-in-four chance (26%) that at least one person will roll a "1".

Add to the mix that they only have to make one of multiple rolls, and it gets even worse. Although if only one person were making a Perception check, the chance of rolling a 6+ is only 75%, it jumps all the way up to 94% when two of them get to make the roll.

Basically having a roll off between two groups where the first group takes the worst roll (Stealth) and the second group takes the best roll (Perception) basically means that the group that takes the worst roll loses an overwhelmingly large number of times.

FWIW, the way I tend to do things if people are trying to hide as a group is to pick the best Perception bonus in the perceiving group and the worst Stealth bonus in the hiding group. Everyone else can make an Aid Another check to help in the respective rolls. That has the benefit of making it likely that a group with a bad low Stealth roll will be found, but not guaranteed.

Say you have Stealth checks of +2, +4, +4. +7, +10, and +13, and Perception checks of +6 and +6.

You'd have a base +6 Perception check against a +2 Stealth check. The Stealth check would get probably 3 successful Aids, and the Perception check might get 1. That would give a +8 versus a +8, even up. That you'd succeed or fail. And that seems to me more reasonable odds for a game that 95/5.
I shall begin to use this method for setting ambush, using group stealth checks, and the like when a party attempts to hide as a whole group.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:57 am

Combat Action
Games: 3.5, Pathfinder, WoW

Aiming: A character may aim with a bow or crossbow at an enemy who is within 30ft in order to gain a bonus to strike that foe.

Game Mechanics: Aiming is a full round action. A character must be able to see its target and study it, via aiming with a crossbow or bow for 1 full round. On the characters next round action they may shoot at the target to gain a +2 bonus to hit on that attack only. Any additonal attacks are made as normal. This rule does not work with hurled or slung weapons. If the target of the aim moves out of line of sight the aim is broken, even if they return to line of sight later on.
Last edited by Vardaen on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:06 am

Fumble Rules
Games: 3.5 Pathfinder, WoW

Fumble
When a character rolls a natural 1 on an attack roll. Denoted in the combat spoiler as "1" they have fumbled their attack. A second roll is made to check the severity of the fumble, similar to confirm a critical roll. If the Fumble Confirmation roll would normally be a hit, the attack is just an embarassing miss. If the confirmation roll would be a miss, then the character has fumbled and looses the remainder of their attacks for the round, and may suffer other penalties, becoming flat footed, suffering attack penalties next round, dropping a weapon, falling prone etc. I shall draw a random card from the Cirtical Fumble Deck published by Paizo.

Should the confirmation roll be another natural "1" then they have Critically Fumbled and do something seriously bad, such as break their weapon, hit an ally, stun themselves, or hit themselves, or any combintation of terrible things along with drawing a Fumble card from the deck.
Last edited by Vardaen on Mon May 27, 2013 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:10 am

Heal Skill Change

Heal Skill Additional Use (previous Xcrawl style rule no longer in use by me)

Treat Deadly Wounds* DC 20, Time 1 Hour
When treating deadly wounds, you can restore hit points to a damaged creature. Treating deadly wounds restores 1 hit point per level of the creature. If you exceed the DC by 5 or more, add your Wisdom modifier (if positive) to this amount. A creature can only benefit from its deadly wounds being treated within 24 hours of being injured and never more than once per day.

*You must expend two uses from a healer's kit to perform this task.

You take a -2 penalty on your Heal skill check for each use from the healer's kit that you lack.
Last edited by Vardaen on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:14 am

Sneak Attack Class Ability
Games: 3.5 WoW

Taken From Pathfinder:
If a rogue can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, she can strike a vital spot for extra damage.

The rogue's attack deals extra damage anytime her target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the rogue flanks her target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6 every two rogue levels thereafter. Should the rogue score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied. Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.

With a weapon that deals nonlethal damage (like a sap, whip, or an unarmed strike), a rogue can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. She cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual '€"4 penalty.

The rogue must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

Clarification: Incorporeal creatures, oozes, swarms, and elementals (air/earth/fire/water) cannot be sneak attacked [source]. It also appears that swarms can not be sneak attacked.
Sudden Strike, Skirmish Class Abilities

The same update applies to these abilities, but the situation in which they apply does not change. The important factor for them is that you can now precise attack far more foes as writen above.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:21 am

Summon Monster Spell List
Games: Pathfinder

With the arrival of the Pathfinder Beastiary 2 book, I'm updating the Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally spell lists with a few new creatures. This list will remain an ongoing work as characters in my Pathfinder games level up and the need to update continues.

The official word on this from Paizo is as follows:
James Jacobs wrote:
We really just don't want to bloat the summon monster tables with too many choices, honestly. It's already kinda hard to choose a monster; making there be TOO many choices spread across TOO many books just leads to option paralysis in game and that's not good.

Adding new monsters to the summon monster lists is a great house rule. And we add a few here and there in the deity articles we print every four volumes in Pathifnder. But beyond that... we are unlikely to officially expand the summon spells with new Bestairies. Just not a direction we're interested in going.
Creature Summon Nature's Ally ? Summon Monster ?
Baboon I I *
Badger I I *
Dire Badger III III *
[/align]

* This creature is summoned with the celestial template if you are good, the entropic template if you are chaotic, the fiendish template if you are evil, or the resolute template if you are lawful; you may choose any if you are neutral.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:31 pm

Standard VGen Rules

These rules are used in just about every Pathfinder game I run. It makes for an epic level character.

Stats: Total Stats add up to 88 point pre-racial bonuses(8 on each +40) (2 18s Total Max)

Race: Ten Apply Racial Bonuses

Traits: 2 Traits Allows (no two of the same type)
Campaign Trait: 1 Campaign Trait (only for Pathfinder Adventure Paths)

Starting Gold: Average or for High Levels
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability- ... r-creation

Wealth for High Level: Because most games don't see the same wealth level as you might expect, characters at higher than 2nd level should take Wealth By Level -1 (New 6th level characters start at 5th level wealth)

Starting Hit Points: Max
Advanced Hit Points: 1/2 Die + 1 (ie Rogue 1d8 = 5 Points)

Background Skills: Now using Background Skills
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/background-skills/

Drawbacks: Two Options you have to pick which one. Pathfinder for more traits, or Tome of Secrets for skill points.

(Adamantine Games 3rd Party - Tome of Secrets)
In general 1 Drawback is fine, seek GM approval for 2 or more.

Or if you like you can use the PF Drawback System on the SRD here:
http://d20pfsrd.opengamingnetwork.com/traits/drawbacks/

Drawbacks
Each drawback below is worth 4 skill ranks.

Some drawbacks have prerequisites, including other drawbacks. Players may spend these points on their character sheet however they wish, but they must still abide by the usual skill rank limitations. Unlike feats, players may only select drawbacks at first level, although the Game Master may grant a new drawback to an existing character if he wishes. Any drawbacks gained during play will grant the appropriate amount of
skill points to the character upon reaching next level (GMs may waive this and grant the skill points immediately if desired or if the PC has a particularly long wait until he reaches next level).

There is no set amount of drawbacks that a PC can take, although GMs should probably limit the number of drawbacks to two or three.
* ABRASIVE ATTITUDE
You have a way of rubbing people the wrong way when you speak. This could be due to your natural belligerence, boastfulness, uncouthness,
or other personality flaw.

Detriment: When using Diplomacy to change attitudes, you must add an extra 5 to the DC.

* ALBINISM
You lack pigmentation in your skin, giving you a distinctively pale appearance. Your skin is very sensitive to sunlight.

Detriment: You must make a Fortitude saving throw for every hour that your skin is exposed to direct sunlight. The DC is 15 +1 for every hour
that you've been exposed. A failure causes 1d4 hit points of sunburn damage.

* ALL THUMBS
You aren't very coordinated when it comes to fine manipulation.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Disable Device and Sleight of Hand checks.

* ANIMAL ANTIPATHY
Perhaps you have a bad smell. Maybe they can detect the way you truly feel about them. Maybe they just don't like you. For whatever reason, you
have trouble dealing with animals.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Handle Animal and Ride checks.

* AWKWARD GESTURES
Maybe you have stiff joints. Maybe your arms are just a little too long. Whatever the reason, you have trouble making the elegant gestures necessary to cast arcane spells.

Prerequisite: You must be a bard, sorcerer or wizard to select this drawback.

Detriment: You have a natural 5% arcane spell failure chance. This stacks with armor penalties.

* BAD LUCK
Whenever you need luck most, you can count on it not being there.

Detriment: Once per session, the GM can negate any success, even if it was a critical hit. This will usually be when you desperately need to succeed.

* BAD SHOT
You are unpracticed or inept at making ranged attacks.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all ranged attacks.

* BLEEDER
Your body has trouble stabilizing. When dying, you continue to bleed until you are dead.

Detriment: You cannot stabilize while dying. Unless you are treated or healed, you will continue to lose one hit point every round until you are dead.

* CLUMSY
You are exceptionally uncoordinated and tend to slip at the most inopportune times.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Acrobatics checks.

* COLD AVERSION
Your body has a hard time adjusting to the rigors of very cold climates.

Detriment: You suffer a -2 circumstance penalty to all saving throws and skill checks in temperatures at or below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. You also suffer an inherent -1 penalty to saving throws made against cold-based spells, damage, and area effects. Cold-weather clothing alone will not remove this penalty.

* COWARDICE
You are a coward. You usually choose the safest position in a marching order and rely on others to protect you.

Detriment: Cowards never initiate combat, even when it is to their advantage. You will always maintain a defensive position until attacked. If you defeat your foe, you will attempt to hide or flee rather than engage another foe.

* DEAF
You can't hear at all.

Prerequisite: You must have the Hard of Hearing drawback to select this drawback.

Detriment: You cannot learn the Linguistics skill. In addition, you have a 20% chance of spell failure when casting a spell with a verbal component.

* DEITY'S WRATH
You have angered a particular god or goddess.

Detriment: You add 1 to the DC of any save you must make against any spells invoked in the name of a particular deity. Healing spells and other aid from that deity will not work on you. The GM should restrict this drawback to common deities in his campaign.

Special: At the GM's option, you may drop this drawback by using a free feat slot. You must also perform some penance in the name of the affected deity.

* EASILY READ
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Others can almost read your thoughts.

Detriment: Your opponents get a +4 to their Sense Motive checks when using it against you.

* FANATIC
You are so committed to one philosophy or religion that it blinds you to others.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty to any Knowledge checks when researching histories, religions, or even arcane lore at odds with your own faith. In addition, you will refuse personal aid from any cleric or druid that is contrary to your faith.

Special: If you are a cleric or a paladin, you will refuse aid to anyone that doesn't adhere to your faith.

* FRAIL
You are weaker than normal, either due to illness or genetics.

Detriment: You have 3 less hit points than normal.

Special: This drawback may be taken multiple times. A character may only take this feat if doing so will still leave him with at least one hit point. For example, a character with 8 hit points may take this drawback twice, but a character with 6 hit points may only take it once.

* GULLIBLE
You are easily persuaded and manipulated by others.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on Diplomacy and Sense Motive checks.

* HARD OF HEARING
You have lost part of your hearing, making it difficult for you to be aware of all sounds surrounding you. You also have a problem being stealthy.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on sound based Perception checks and Stealth checks.

* HEAT AVERSION
Your body has a hard time adjusting to the rigors of very hot climates.

Detriment: You suffer a -2 circumstance penalty to all saving throws and skill checks in tropical or desert conditions (or in artificial conditions of extreme heat, such as steam baths). At the GM's discretion, you may suffer these penalties in any area where the temperature is above 80
degrees Fahrenheit. He also suffers an inherent -1 penalty to saving throws made against heat based spells, damage, and area effects.

* HONEST
You have trouble telling lies or concealing the truth.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on Bluff and Intimidate checks.

* IMPATIENT
Your character is notoriously incapable of focusing his attention long and hard enough to accomplish tasks requiring great dedication.

Detriment: Your character may never ˜take 10 or '˜take 20' on any skill check, no matter how much time he has.

* INEFFECTIVE RACIAL TRAIT
You lack one of your positive racial traits, either due to mixed lineage in your character's past or a simple genetic anomaly. A gnome might not have keen senses, while an elf may be lacking lowlight vision ('œunfortunately, you have your human grandfather's eyes').

Detriment: You do not receive the benefit of one of the positive racial traits for your character (including the extra feat for human characters).

* INTOLERANCE
You have a particular hatred for a certain class, race, or culture.

Detriment: You take a 4 penalty when making skill checks against a particular group. The GM should limit this feat to frequently encountered groups within his campaign (for example, if you take Intolerance against Psions, but your campaign rarely includes them, the GM can prohibit this. You may still hate Psions, but it's not worth four skill ranks).

Special: You may take this drawback multiple times. You choose a new group each time.

* LAME
You walk with a discernible limp.

Detriment: You only move two-thirds of what is normal for your race. A lightly armored human, for example, would move 20ft rather than 30ft.

* MAGICAL INEPTITUDE
You find magic difficult to master.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Spellcraft checks and Use Magic Device checks.

Special: You may never take the Magical Aptitude feat.

* MARKED
You have been convicted of a crime in the past (whether you were guilty or not) and bear a lasting mark from the punishment. This mark could be a distinctive scar, tattoo, or missing body part. People treat you as a criminal. This drawback may be coupled with another (missing hand, for
example), in which case the other drawback is the mark.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty to all Bluff and Diplomacy checks when dealing with people that would recognize the mark (which is most of the time). You also add an extra 5 to your DC when trying to change an NPC's attitude.

Special: You get a +2 bonus to Intimidate if the victim recognizes your mark.

* MINORITY CULTURE
You belong to a smaller culture within a primary culture that has certain rules and taboos that easily distinguish it from the primary culture. You unintentionally but easily offend members of the primary culture.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty to all Diplomacy checks against members of the primary culture. In addition, you add 5 to your DC when attempting to influence the attitudes of members of the primary culture.

Special: GMs should be careful when allowing this drawback. A 'œprimary culture' is the dominant group within a particular campaign. If the campaign takes the characters throughout the world, then this drawback should only be available if the particular minority group is a minority culture throughout that world. 'œCulture' should be loosely defined. If most of the campaign takes place within the walls of a noble's castle, then a PC peasant farmer could be considered a 'œminority culture.' Similarly, a 'œminority culture' is not necessarily the disadvantaged one. If the PCs are mostly pirates, then a PC noble forced into joining them could be considered from a 'œminority culture'.

* MISSING HAND
You have lost a hand in combat.

Detriment: You may not use a two-handed weapon. You may still use a shield. You also take a 2 penalty on all Climb, Disable Device and Sleight of Hand checks.

* MUTE
You cannot speak.

Detriment: You take a 4 penalty on any skill checks that would normally require you to speak. While you may continue to learn new languages, you may only understand them, not speak them.

* OBLIVIOUS
Your mind wanders so much that you fail to take note of what's going on around you.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Perception checks.

* ONE EYE
You have lost the use of an eye. This hinders your depth perception as well as hinders your ability to engage foes on your blind side.

Detriment: You take an extra 1 penalty per range increment when using a ranged weapon.

* QUICK SPELL DISCHARGE
You are unable to hold the charge of touch spells.

Prerequisite: This drawback is only available to spellcasting classes.

Detriment: Any touch spell cast must immediately manifest or you lose it.

* RESTLESS
You have trouble remaining calm while preparing spells. You habitually interrupt your own rest.

Detriment: You automatically add 2 hours to your spell preparation time.

* SCHOOL DEFICIENCY
Your natural magical abilities have one glaring limitation.

Deficiency: You must select one of the eight schools of magic (the universal school may not be selected). You never learn or cast spells from that school.

Special: If you are a specialist, you must select a school of magic that is not already prohibited to you.

You may take this drawback multiple times, with the GM's permission. Each time it is taken it applies to a different school of magic.

* SHORT
You are unusually small for your race.

Detriment: Humans, elves, and half-elves are treated as Halflings for purposes of tactical speed and reach. Short half-orcs are treated as dwarves. Short dwarves have a tactical speed of 15 ft. and a natural reach of 0. Short gnomes and halflings have a tactical speed of 15 ft. (or 10 ft. when wearing medium or heavy armor) and a natural reach of 0.

* SLOW HEALER
It takes you longer than normal to heal.

Detriment: With a full night's rest, you only recover 1 hit point for every two character levels. Magical healing effects are also halved.

* SLOW PREPARATION
You are unusually slow when dealing with certain formal rituals of magic, including preparing your daily spells from your spellbooks.

Detriment: You must spend 2 hours (rather than 1) studying your spellbooks in order to prepare spells for any given day. You must spend at least 30 minutes when studying a smaller portion of your daily spell allotment.

* SLOW REFLEXES
You have slower than normal reflexes.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Reflex saving throws.

Special: You may not take the Lightning Reflexes feat.

* SLOW TO ACT
You are slow to respond to attacks.

Detriment: You take a 4 penalty to initiative checks.

* SPINELESS
You have a weaker will than normal.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Will saving throws.

Special: You may not take the Iron Will feat.

* TABOO PROFICIENCY
Due to cultural, personal, or religious restrictions, you have not been trained to use some weapons or armor normally available to your class.

Detriment: You do not receive one of the starting weapon or armor proficiencies normally available for your class.

Special: You may negate this drawback at any time (including character creation) by selecting the taboo proficiency as one of your available feats.

* UNCOMELY
You are particularly unattractive to most people. Note that you may not be physically unattractive, but you may belong to a group that is disliked by most people in the setting.

Detriment: You take a 2 circumstance penalty on any Bluff or Diplomacy checks when dealing with someone of the other gender.

* WEAK FORTITUDE
You are weaker than normal.

Detriment: You take a 2 penalty on all Fortitude saving throws.

Special: You may not take the Great Fortitude feat.
Last edited by Vardaen on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:50 am

I have updated the Pathfinder Excel Sheet to a new version (v2b21)

This sheet fixes issues with stacking bonuses from the OnTheFly sheet, and it fully integrates the Magic Item table on the Equipment Sheet, it also takes into account Finesse Weapons for CMB, and a few minor formatting issues here and there.

I highly suggest you download this sheet, and start using it for all your PF guys. Uploading it new to Google Docs will also make the drop down boxes work now as well.

http://www.dicefellowship.org/~vardaen/ ... v2b21.xlsx

Or if you want I will simply share a copy of it on Gdocs with you that you can set up as a blank.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub ... utput=html