Looking for reviewers (5e Forgotten Realms book)

This is for House Rules, NPCs, Monsters, and conversions can go here. Discussions relating to third-party content such as DM's Guild products and submissions of publications.
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:00 pm

Hey,

When I was researching some Forgotten Realms content, I started taking notes and now I have a 30+ page document formatted for publication at DM's Guild. (It's more of a reference book relating to a specific evil deity than an adventure, but I hope to include a few short adventures after getting all the stats done).

It's in an early draft now. I still need to do some number crunching for monster stats and templates, but the gist of the lore and reference material is there. I also need to re-read/edit the document to make sure it corresponds to the recently released FR Style Guide document (which contains proper spellings, capitalizations, number formats, etc.).

If anyone would like to review it and provide feedback, then that would be greatly appreciated.

Also, for those who have published content in the past (I know there's a couple authors here), if you have any advice on editing and prep for publication, please let me know.

thanks,

P.S. This might go better in our Workshop forum, but I didn't know if we wanted to have non-game workshops (it's related to a game, but it's really a book, etc.)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:37 pm

Workshop is a fine place for it, we have other stuff there.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:52 pm

@shurijo

Are you using InDesign for your layout?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 pm

No. I almost downloaded the free version. I'm using Word. Others hate it, but I'm very proficient with it and already know how to do everything.

Final copyedits are done. Final artworks and layout done. Doing playtest and mechanics/crunchy review now. Had a D&D FR designer (wrote some official stuff) look over the lore aspect, he gave it thumbs up and gave me a tip to find another bit of lore that I'd miss. I should have it posted to DMsGuild in a couple weeks (maybe sooner).

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 pm

Nice. The community content stuff is nice. Did you use stock art or buy?

We're using 90% contracted art. Of course, we're planning on having our adventure span almost every fantasy community content and OGL programs possible. So hopefully we'll pay ourselves back.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:07 pm

Mix of both. It's a 100+ page doc, so I used a couple pieces of official WotC stock art (allowable for DMsGuild but not general public docs), but I commissioned a bunch of stuff specific to the book. I think I used maybe 3-4 stock art monsters from Monster Manuals, everything else was commissioned. For maps, I wanted to commission a guy, but he was too busy and allowed me to use his assets, so I Photoshoped my map using his assets. I did a bunch of Photoshop myself for image and layout stuff.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:56 am

@TetNak

Did you do any Fantasy Grounds (or other virtual table top) companion packs? There's a bunch of people that convert their PDFs into FG add-ons. I think it's just putting some of the items, monsters, etc. into XML format. I haven't researched it yet.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Looking for reviewers (5e Forgotten Realms book)

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 am

I don't use FG at all. I'm 100% Roll20. Or is a lot more flexible and I can code for it pretty well and have up character sheets that I need, etc. I'm not really interested in mucking xml.