Character Generation

This is the OOC forum for all the nuts and bolts of the Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy Game.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Character Generation

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:14 pm

This thread is to open up the conversation about new character generation. The Intro game is starting to work toward being over, there is still plenty of combat and stuff left, but now is a good time to start talking about what people will do with their guys after Shattered Hope is done.

The options available to players are the following:

1. Keep your character as it, update for XP and expanded rules.
2. Keep your character theme with changes for XP, some tweaking, and expanded rules, but basically would be remaking the crunch of the guy.
3. Start all over again with a brand new Acolyte from the expanded rules. (This may be your only option for some of you).

Everyone will be awarded XP for Shattered Hope, and this XP can be applied to your character before the next adventure starts, regardless of what character you are playing. Meaning if you make a new guy, you will get the XP from Shattered Hopes for him just like someone that is keeping their current character.

The idea behind the games will continue to be the same, and the plot will pick up where Shattered Hopes leaves off, with some changes made to accomodate everyone's new or expanded guys.

I'm going to work on updating Tet's Warhammer Fantasy character sheet for Warhammer 40K. I have an alright PDF version, but since you can't edit it without Adobe Pro, its not going to help you guys much.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Character Generation

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:01 pm

The Demo game is nearly at an end, and I know some of you want to make new guys, or do some tweaking to the ones you are playing. We should start this conversation now so that the RP is only interrupted minimally during the transition.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:17 pm

One thing I've noticed is that there is virtually no group cohesion. We're really a bunch of individual characters who are only together because we've been ordered to do the same task. No one really talks to anyone else. Or if they do, it's just to pass some information or ask a simple question. It feels more to me like everyone's playing their own game. Maybe this is exacerbated by the fact that this is a grim world in which people tend not to trust each other.

The end result, for me at least, is that this game has very much a solo feel to me, in a weird way. For my part, I think the game needs some better reason for the PCs to work together and actually want to work together. Then again, maybe that's my own preference seeping through. Maybe WH40K is meant to keep an underlying level of mistrust, even among the PCs.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:10 pm

I agree with Trogdor's statement.

However, Xanthia seems to be built pretty well (except for the massive blow destroying her)... so if we can find a way to make the cohesion better, I'll probably stick to her, with some minor tweaks.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:00 pm

I agree. But I think it depends on what kind of game Var is going to run. We could all be totally in love with the God-Emperor, great servants, etc. Or something else, like maybe a rebel force. Maybe we're all related? It might be interested to be a part of a family.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

eldritchknight
Level 12
Level 12

Post by eldritchknight » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:16 pm

I think I may make another character. While I like Cimbria, the way I'm playing her is not given to party cohesion.

So I will probably make a new character. An assassin, I think. Or a psyker.
Meesa take down quote to get in game:)

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:13 pm

I have so little idea of what character options are or what a different character might look like that it's hard for me to comment on whether I'd like the same or a different character.

From what I've seen of this group, it certainly looks like its a game that starts you off pretty weak, without a whole lot to distinguish them. I'm sure in time the characters will get better and have abilities that branch out. But from the lens of starting out characters, it's hard for me to see what those differences will be.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:18 pm

As all Acolytes in training you are suposed to be working for the same organization, the same Inquisitor, and so be tied together simply by that. Since this is sort of the 'you just got recruited and on your way to training were sidelined' it was suposed to BUILD unity among you guys, wanting to survive together, do well and get praised, etc.

There is no need to be siblings or family, you are suposed to be dedicated acolytes working for the Inquisitor and loving the God_Emperor to start.

Once this is finished there will be a small narative, where we can bond you guys more. Those that survie are given great praise for your work (as a team, not as individuals) and will go through training together (picking up new members as needed). You will then be working in a Psudo Military manner as offical Acolytes of the Inquisition. If you guys can't find a way to bond cause of this, then...well...I don't know what else to do. There may be some mistrust among you all, simply cause that is 40K and some competition to out do the others for more credit, but if your team fails you fail, and that means terrible terrible things for everyone and the Imperium.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:21 pm

The Demo really didn't give you much in the way of Professions to start with. Folks have some different skills, but that's it.

Something to really be different would be to have Psyker in the group, that person would stand right out.

As it stands at least Jigglypuff and EK will be remaking new characters anyone else is welcome too as well. I would like a few people to keep characters just because it ties into all of this bonding.

Yes you are rather week it does seem but it doens't take too long to powerup by look of the book. Do you have the book?

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:27 pm

It may be enough to simply raise the issue and all make an effort to be a bit more willing to interact with the others.

It may also be that our current adventure has not been conducive to bonding. Tossed together without any fanfare or introduction, then kept off-balance by a pressing need to solve this mystery hasn't really allowed any of us to do more than react.