Character Generation

This is the OOC forum for all the nuts and bolts of the Warhammer 40K Dark Heresy Game.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Character Generation

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:27 pm

The book reads....

In Dark Heresy, you take the role of an Acolyte, a trainee investigator in the service of a powerful Inquisitor. You, you of countless billions, have been chosen to play a part in a war so great and terrible that ordinary men must never learn its secrets. Your master will task you with al lmanner of mission, in which you will encounter witches, aliens and eve Daemons. You will be tempted with power and exposed to corruption. You, your allies, or even your master may fall under the thrall of te Dark Gods. Should this happen, it will be your duty to purge with fire and righteousness, for the Ruinous Ones, the Chaos Powers, are insidious in their evil and owuld destory you and all of mankind if they could.

You and your fellow Acolytes must struggle to hold back the many threats that face huimanity. You must to this knowing that your name will never be recorded in the annals of history. Power, fame, and grandeur shall never be yours -- but you do not night for these things. You fight because you must. You fight because failure will mean the destruction of the Imperium... the destruction of all mankind.

Its not going to be easy. In the earliest stages, you are little better than anyone else of the 41st Millennium. You are merely one of many scores of Acolytes recruited into the Inquisition. You'll need to use your wits, luck and the skill of your companions to the best of your abilities if you are to survive. The longer you last, and the stronge you become, the greater the foes you will asked to face. The war for the soul of mankind is unending, and even should you live long enough to become an Inquisitor, you will never know peace until the cold embrace of death.

Cheery!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:30 pm

I agree with Trog. Also, I think our backgrounds (at least mine) is far from an overall love for the God Emperor. A lot of the backgrounds that I read was the player was forced into the service of acolytes, not really chose to do so. I will probably me making a new character as well.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:30 pm

True, it is a Demo after all, to get used to the simple versions of the mechanics and to get into the down and dirty of some fighting right away. Thrown together on your way to training, forced to work together or get killed, solve a problem that the Guardsmen aren't willing to do, and then when its all over, head off this rock with little glory or fanfare.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:34 pm

Since DoomulusPrime is currently on Vacation, and his character is VERY important at the moment, the game is on hold till he gets back, unless you wish to RP among yourselves, which is certainly a good idea.

I won't NPC Doom's Cleric however, as I wnat the joining of him to the group to go through normal RP.

This gives Grimbold a chance also to catch up, as he will be joining us as Haxtes.

So feel free to RP with one another (whispers about 'should we take this guy' what do we know, etc), but just ignore Doom for the moment till he's back, thanks.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:30 pm

@silverfox you can use the point buy system to make your character's starting package. Then you'll get XP to put your total XP at 5000. Remember to spend little by little, leveling up and unlocking new options as you go in order.

Point Buy system:
Instead of roling dice & adding the value to the "base" provided by the chosen "homeworld", give the pc a total of 100 points
to allocate. They are not allowed to add more then 20 to any given characteristic, whatsoever, and must spend at least 5 on each.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Okay, thanks Vardaen... I'll get that done shortly.

Are Wounds, Fate etc die rolls?

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:02 pm

Have a look at this:
http://www.blackmoor.org.uk/40K.html
excel sheet with easy level up

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Thanks @Grimbold, I'll check it out.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:58 pm

@silverfoxdmt73
Hey, sorry for not responding earlier. I'm new to this system myself, but I think Wounds are like your Health Points. When the damage you've taken is equal to your Wounds, you're Bloodied, and suffering damage below 0 Wounds is Critical Damage, and you then start taking penalties and effects that can be permanent.
Fate Points are like action points. They allow you to do the following when you spend one: Reroll a failed test, you must take the reroll; count as rolling 10 for Initiative, and I would assume you can't do this after characters start taking their turns; add an extra degree of success to a test; instantly recover 1d5 Wounds; recover from Stunned; and maybe other things that the rulebook didn't list that the GM can approve.

A Fate Point burned is the permanent loss of a Fate Point in order to save the life of the character. Caveat: the character's survival likely doesn't mean they escape the situation without a penalty.

You normally regain spent Fate Points "at the start of the next gaming session", but since this is pbp, the "when" is up to Vardaen. You can gain additional Fate Points (or regain burned Fate Points) by GM fiat, or (according to the book) as a reward for "particular acts of heroism, cunning, or good roleplaying."
We've got a techpriest who I think is a bit tanky thanks to being chromed up, and a ranged psyker, and a battle sister. The sister is pure ranged as well and I'm planning to get her ranks in Seraphim.

I think a melee would round us out, but if Vardaen says he can accommodate anything that you pick, go for whatever, I guess. :)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 pm

So we have a few new guys that want to join, I'm goign to find some way to intro them when I'm back from my trip, or before. It may feel a bit forced, but dont' want to make them wait any more.