Not So Basic Training: Shattered Hopes

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Not So Basic Training: Shattered Hopes

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:54 pm

The Acolytes split up, seeking different methods of garnering some information about the current situation so when they meet the Commissar they have a grasp of what is going on here on this ice ball.

Ishmael lets the Sgt head off as he quick turns to give chase to the Guardsman Lurtz. The man strides up to the much younger man and offers him a line about the Inquisitor coming. The young man at first doesn't look like he wants to talk, but Ishmael has a way about him and the young man's enhusiasim returns. "You really think he might come to help if I tell you what is going on?" He rubs his hands together thinking before he nods and starts talking, "Well, there was this uprising in the mines. So we was called in to crush the rebels. The Commissar ordered us to flush out the mines to see if there were any more rebels. That's when those things nabbed my mate Hastus. The things grabbed him and dragged him off screaming. That's when the sergeant ordered our withdrawal, and we've been stuck here ever since. Hey, if you're going down there, see if you can find Hastus, would ya? He has a girl on Scintilla and I know she'd like 'im back, yeah?"
Charm/Fellowship 37 vs 42 Success
Mir and Cimbria head toward one of the medical tents located nearby. In fact there are plenty of tents in the area that hold Guardsmen either wounded or not. The two head into one of the many tents and begin to ask some questions and attempt to gather a bit of information from the hurt men and woman of the regiment. Mir is lucky that Cimbria has come along with him, because none of the guardsmen want to talk to the Acolyte. Either he is too brusk with them, or his attempt at relating to them, even having once been a guardsmen himself is off. Perhaps they are jealous that he's left the guard. Cimbria however has a way with the guards, the men in particular, and she manages to get a few men to talk.

A few men start talking among themselves and to Cimbria at the same time, Mir listening in...

"Aye, we wuz in a tough spot a few days back. There are sorts of nasty
things in them mines. Go see the Commissar. He'll set ya straight," says the first Guardsman, his arm set in a splint.

A man on his back, bloody bandages on his leg chimes in, "It was horrible, mate! The things I saw! I don't think I'll ever sleep again. They got Horgen'¦ tore his face right off they did. Thank the Emperor you're here to put things aright."

In reply the splint wearing man counters, "It was bad, I agree, but no worse than any other Mutant-infested hole." He glances at the two Acolytes, "If 'n yer going in there, yeh better keep those laspistols handy."

A woman off to the side, the medic tending to these men pipes up, "A lot of the men, they'll tell you that those'¦ creatures'¦ were cultists'¦ but they weren't'¦ they couldn't be. The horrors butchered them just like us. I dunno what they are, but they need to be stopped."
Inquiry/Fellowship

Cimbria: 1 vs 33 Excellent Success
Mir: 76 vs 12 (Does not have the skill) Failure
Xanthia catwalks over to the nearby tent where strange laughter is coming out of. She pulls back the tent flap and heads inside. Inside she sees a wide-eyed young man with greasy brown hair, wild eyes, and wearing a straightjacket that's tethered to a post hammered into the ground. Crumpled in the corner is a guardsman jacket, the name on it reads "Corporal Schmendt". Giggling the young man looks at Xanthia and shouts, "the eyes!"

Iorgo attempts to think of a song he can sing about the Cadians or the Impeiral Guard, but can't seem to come up with one he knows all the lyrics too. Instead he reverts to a song he learned in the priesthood, and begins to belt it out. His voice is fair enough, and he doesn't screw up any of the words. The tune isn't the happiest, but it reminds those that can hear it just who the Inquisition is, and just what good things they do in the Emperor's name. Those in various tents can hear the singing of the Cleric as they investigate further. Lurtz leans around Ishmael and looks at the Acolyte singing and smiles at Ishmael.
Perception (Easy +20)

47 vs 55 Success to notice the jacket.
Common Lore (Imperial Creed)/Intelligence. Easy +20.

92 vs 48 Failure.

Common Lore (Ecclesiarchy)/Intelligence. Easy +20

40 vs 48 Success.

Preform (Sing)/Fellowship

33 vs 34 (Lucky!)
Jericus is watching the camp, he takes in the faces of the guards. Espcially when the singing starts. He watches the faces of a few men turn hopefull at the singing. These guards look beat up, frightened, and the heavy feeling of gloom lays over them. With the arrival of the Inquisition, and the obvious bolstering of Iorgo, there is a glimmer of hope in their eyes. Hope that the Inquisitor will come and clear out the troubles so they can get off this frozen rock of a planet in one piece.
Scrutiny/Perception

2 vs 20 (Lacks skill)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Iorgo continues to sing, smiling and reveling in his own words, letting the music penetrate the souls of the men and women. With the aid of the Ministorum, all things are possible...
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:51 pm

From tent to tent the pair travel and Mir finally forms more than two word sentence's as he speaks to Cimbria. "These men lack hope. What is it that could be so effecting the men? They are guardsmen. No doubt they have seen such things before". His dour features increase with each interview. As each man and woman tells a different view of the same story. He now knows that to get to the bottom of this they will have to go down there themselves...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:07 am

Ishmael nods to Lurtz, "Many thanks for your assistance, guardsman." He walks away, thinking about what they should do. "We should speak to the Commissar," he says to no one in particular. "It appears the rebellion is not as it seems. We should see what he knows then report back to the Inquisitor."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

eldritchknight
Level 12
Level 12

Post by eldritchknight » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:39 am

Cambria nods to Mir. "Indeed. It is good that the holy fires of the Inquisition are here to cleanse the foul cancer that infests the mines, and mayhap the more of this planet."

She walks beside Mir as they go back to the others.
Meesa take down quote to get in game:)

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:28 am

Mir unslings his rifle as the pair walk to rejoin the group. "I feel that we must enter the mines and be done with this nonsense. I will make my recommendation to the others before we meet with commisar". His face once again turning to stone...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:51 pm

Iorgo, seeing the group mustering, finishes his song with a flourish. "It is with the warmest wishes of the Imperium and the Ministorum that I Bless all that have listened. We are here to save you, brave warriors of the Guard. Noble men and women of battle. Both your lives and souls are the concern of all the Hunters that have arrived. You have but to show us where the Darkness dwells and we WILL bring the light of his Holiness to its hidy hole and vanquish it, yet again, in the name of the God-Emperor!!!" He works himself into a fevor, filled with the Faith of the Imperium and fully believing every word. Hopefully, to the smiles and renewed courage of the Guard, he now rejoind the other Hunters, eager to do the Holiness's biddings...
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:59 pm

Ishmael rubs his chin, "We must continue our investigation and send a message off-world to the Inquisitor. If we would die before we do, anything we have learned here will be for not."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:37 am

Xanthia walks out from the tent in total shock at what she has just seen. "This is not good at all. Something has scared the soldiers so much that they are going insane. She moves quickly to rejoin her comrades and help figure out what to do.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:32 am

Jericus sticks close to Ishmael. He happens to share the man's opinion that they should report to the Commissar before haring about the compound engaging in individual investigations.

Yes," he says simply to Ishmael. "We should let the Commissar know we are here, why we have come, and who we represent."