Capitulus Secundus: Illumination

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Capitulus Secundus: Illumination

Post by jigglypuff69 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:26 am

Solaria raises an eyebrow, feigning shock "I'm sure it's no resort planet!"

Solaria looks it over, "Father, this is amazing! We'll keep it as part of our arsenal. Perhaps we'll use it on the next mission. She shows it to Xanthia as well and makes sure it is packed and ready for their trip.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

DoomulusPrime
Level 12
Level 12

Post by DoomulusPrime » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:05 pm

Rego, in the intervening days, has been only a brief tenant to the Inquisition's lodgings, spending most of his time settling matters with the local Ecclesiarchy. As Sand's vox comes through, he realizes it is time well-spent.

The cleric works hard to suppress his pride at the honor of travelling offworld, a hero of the Imperium called on in need. "This... will be something we are not accustomed to. This world - an agri-world - sound like one where the Creed has yet to fully take hold... there are much preparations to make. We should be off as soon as possible."

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:59 pm

Solaria nods at Rego's words. "The word of the Throne reachesfar, but perhaps it still needs repeating on this world, Father..."
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:31 pm

After Sand breaks off the communication, Jericus passes the dataslate around for the others to take a look at. But since he doesn't know whether they're all literate or not, he summarizes what it says.

"We're going to Iocanthos," he begins. "It's an anarchic pseudo-feudal society - war-torn and brutal. It's a former penal dumping ground. So we can expect more than the usual number of unsavory characters. Warlords and clan factions run the place, and they don't do it nicely. The only tithed material the planet has is a psychoactive plant extract called Ghostfire Pollen. The various factions on the planet fight to see who gets to turn the pollen over to the Imperium in exchange for supplies. The planet has one fortified, Administratum-controlled spaceport settlement called Port Suffering and that's where we'll be landing."

"Unfortunately, our mission isn't in Port Suffering. They're raising a cathedral to Saint Drusus in a more remote outpost called Stern Hope. It's running into trouble - possibly psychic or warp-based - and we're investigating it. Thankfully they're re assigning us a psyker to help, so we'll have an expert on those phenomena along. We'll be working for Senior Inquisitorial Agent Aristarchus the Seer. Our task is twofold - gather data about what's going on; and eliminate any threats that we find."

"As Inquisitor Sand said, we'll take passage on the Brazen Sky and will land at Port Suffering. We'll meet Aristarchus the Seer there and then head off to Stern Hope. Presumably we'll get more detail when we arrive at Port Suffering."
Since Literacy is only a Basic skill for people from Imperial worlds, I'm not sure who can read and who can't.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:24 am

"Wow, it is the outer stretches then. We'll need to be ready for all of this. Does it say whetther the pollen is dangerous or just the drug it's made from?" Solaria continues to load her web gear and backpack as she speaks. THe last things she grabs are some Imperial rations for emergencies.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Haxtes reads the slate and nods. He is actually uncomfortable with the idea of going to a wild, almost unsettled world, with a low tech level. He desperately tries not to show any sign of his disturbance, but his left eyebrow twitches once at the prospect. Disappointed with himself, he mumblingly starts to recite a few mantras of Omnissiah.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Illumination - The Brazen Sky

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:08 pm

For most of the Acolytes this will be their first time off world, their first time out of the Hive and that prospect is a bit scary to them. For Jericus and Xanthia this will be the third planet they have visisted together, and the excitment of an off world mission isn't filled with as much fear.

The group is quickly updated on the slate, either by reading it themselves or by the repot from Jericus. In about thirty minutes everyone has gathered their gear, checked armor, weapons, and thrown in a few extra rations that should get you to Port Suffering at least.
Eventually you will have lots of downtime so you can read it OOCly and eventually consider that someone would read it to you ICly word for word if you are illliterate. I think everyone can read however
Without much delay you step outside the building and a small servoskull is waiting, it flashes a red LED at you and then turns and takes off through the Hive. You follow the skull up several levels and across the Hive to a spaceport location that open up to the sky above. There docked at the port is a transport lighter that will carry you up out of the hive and into space where The Brazen Sky awaits your arrival. Several other lighters are being loaded with supplies and the chaos and movement of so many ground crew members is dizzing. The servo skull buzzes forward toward the guard house where a single man drapped in imperial robes waits. The guardhouse is little more than a two story tower that breaches the fence that surrounds the open spaceport. In the tower two men stand watching with autoguns in hand, but are mostly unconcerned with your arrival.
Welcome to the game ManWithDoor as the man waiting for you at the guardhouse!

PLEASE everyone post your appearance for the new guy, and vice versa.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Illumination - The Brazen Sky

Post by jigglypuff69 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:51 am

Solaria lloks at the man that the servo-skull brought them to. She raises and eyebrow, wondering if this is the psyker they are to work with. This trip is atypical for her to say the least, first and agri-worls and now a psyker! Two things she never thought she'd see.

Solaria Limentus is a tall and athletic looking woman. Her jet black hair almost borderlines on midnight blue it is so dark, her grey eyes a plesant sight. Her pale skin belies her Hiver upbringing, but on the left side of her face are stange tatoos that look to continue down her neck and to the Throne know's where. On her right thigh is strapped a silenced auto-stub and she has a shotgun and auto-carbine strapped across her back. Her close fitted mesh and flak armor show off her curves while he web gear helps to accentuate it. A WELL worn flak helmet hangs from her pack. To most, on first glace, she is surely part of the muscle for this group...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Behind Solaria walks a brown-haired man of relatively ordinary appearance wearing brown Administratum robes. He's of average height, average build with dark eyes. The only thing about him worth any notice is a scar that stretches across his face - a relic of a long-past injury. But even that is hardly distinctive given the rough nature of the Imperium. He carries a knife and two pistols on his belt and a sawed-off shotgun in a sheath on the small pack he wears. A flak helmet is also visible hanging from the pack.

As he approaches, the man puts away a dataslate and approaches the waiting psyker. "I'm Jericus," he says. "I assume you're the one we were to meet here. Name?"
FWIW, Jericus has the "Unremarkable" talent. So even with the scar, it's harder to remember anything distinctive about him.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:14 am

The man standing there smiles at the direct question. His tattered Imperial robe is open, showing basic flak armour underneath. He holds a staff at the ready in his right hand, the back of which shows extensive scarring. But despite all this ... unless the servoskull had led you directly to him, he would have looked like yet another servant of the Imperium. Of average height and unremarkable features, even his Sanctioning Brand could just be another scar.

"Acolyte Jericus, this one is called Damien Quinn." When their eyes meet, he no longer appears like any other soldier. These are the eyes of someone who has faced horrors beyond the imagination of most, and faced them down with acts of sheer will. "You are not late. Excellent. So far my report to Inquisitor Sand will hold a positive note as to your performance."
Yeah, I got the same thing. Darn you, Unremarkable! I added my own twist on it, given his Psyker background. Just for flavor, really.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."