Capitulus Secundus: Illumination - Mercy

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Capitulus Secundus: Illumination - Mercy

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:52 pm

Image This thread arrives from here: A Taste of Battle

During the morning Plainsong Ceremonies to dedicate the Cathedral of Stern Hope to the God Emperor a pack of wild Ashleen barbarians have attacked the settlement. After doing battle with an initial force, Solaria and Rego have broken off from the other Acolytes in order to try and mitigate some death and destruction in the tent city. The pair are armed and racing into the palls of smoke of battle around the residental area.

A horde of Ashleen are charging in a frenzy into the tents of the civilians of Stern Hope. They are hacking down women, children, old men, anyone that has remained down in the town. They are brutalizing those they encounter. You watch as one Ashleen claws his way out of a tent, a flailing woman in his arm, her top ripped off, her breasts exposed, and the look on the man's face suggests he is planning to do terrible terrible things to her. If someone doesn't stop that group of Ashleen there then the Emperor knows what will happen to the helpless and the young.

Soliara and Rego plan to put an end to that...
Welcome to the split thread. This is for JP and MV only. You guys can post in once, then I'll get combat rolling for you. Note, I'm not about to make this fight any easier simply because there are only 2 of you, so tread with care, the battle is designed for 6 people :twisted:
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Capitulus Secundus: Illumination - Mercy

Post by MadVlat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:19 pm

Rego enters the fog of war, smoke gripping his form. He pauses only briefly to wait for Solaria to arrive at his side. Then glances at his blade, its length already covered in a patch of crimson that was not removed when he wiped it on the heretics corpse. He looks to his left and moves out. The priest does not run, but instead walks determinedly towards the would be rapist doing his best to not garner unwanted attention from the man, fading in and out of the clouds of smoke. Then in a burst of divine speed he moves quickly coming from behind. His blade aimed at the barbarians legs well below the heretics would be victim...
Charge hoping to catch the occupied heretic off guard by emerging from the smoke. Aiming towards his mid to upper thighs and dangly bits.
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:38 pm

The smoke has no effect on the Arbite, her filtration plugs saving her lungs from the ordeal of having to breath in such filth. Solaria looks down as she runs, racking the slide on the auto pistol and smiling. With an auto-pistol to use and dump, auto-carbine and two more pistols with her, she's ready to rock. Right now, her eyes scan for cover and she nods at Rego, giving her blessing. The would be target for that man's twisted passions will be given hope, for no greater saviour on this field is to be had than Rego. Raising her barrowed weapon, Solaria wades into the fray, searching for her first target...
Let's save some citizens! It'll be hard, being down 4 people (Kinda thought we might have one more come with us... :( ), but the God-Emperor protects!
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 pm

Rego and Soliara stalk forward through the wisps of smoke, at the edge of battle the two move forward watching the Ashleen among the tent city. A group of citizen's try and guard some children, but the Ashleen attackers are running amuck among the tents butchering and toying with the women and children there. The tents are hardly worthy to be called homes, but many of the citizens of Stern Hope live in them, gladly giving up comforts for the sacrifice to build the Cathedral. There are piles of debris about, some of them flaming now, piles of burning tires, and other rubbish cause great pillars of smoke to fill the field bloding line of sight. The Ashleen hack down a few people as you hurry closer and closer to the fight, the bodies littering the field.
Round 1 Initiative: Soliara 13 (Wary +1!), Rego 9 (Wary +1!), Ashleen 8

Palls of Smoke: Thick smoke from the burning tents and firebombs will make ranged combat difficult at times, and combatants shooting through dense smoke will suffer a -20 penalty on Ballistic Skill Tests. In addition the clouds of burning and choking smoke engulfing characters will force you to make Toughness Tests (+0) every round you remain in the areas of smoke. Each failure causing you to take 1 level of Fatigue (see page 200). Of course Filtration Masks mean you don't have to make this, and other items may help as well.

Note Filtration Plugs: These are simple plugs worn in each nostril tro screen out most pollutants and harmful gases. A character wearing filtration plugs gains a +20 bonus to any Toughness Test made to resist the effects of gas.

They do not make you immune. On the map to follow you'll see the smoke, it may shift during battle so be wary moving into or around it.

Because I have a map and init up now, you guys should just repost now in combat.
Rego starts to charge...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:48 pm

Rego flooded with blind devotion to the emperor, runs forward. Only to disappear within the closest plume from the burning decay. His re-breather rasps and then expells his spent breath amidst the oily smoke he uses to cover his approach. Two hands grasp the enlarged cleaver in his hold as he prepares to charge the enemy...
Figure I can get close enough for a charge this round, then attack wielding divine justice the next round. Don't think I could attack this turn. Move SW as far as I can using smoke to cover my approach...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:03 pm

Move w,w,nw. Line of sight with #1. Shoot w/autopistol @#1 +10 BS for short range. That should get his attention!

Am I right in beliving those are civilians, live ones, mixed in with the Ashleen?
Solaria moves through the smoke, like a raven haired assassin. She brings up the auto pistol and aims at the first Ashleen she sees, being careful not to hit bystanders. "Eat this, Voicer..."
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:55 am

Round 1 Initiative: Soliara 13 (Wary +1!), Rego 9 (Wary +1!), Ashleen 8

You are right, those are little images of living citizens mixed in being beat up and stuff. So fareful where you shoot.
Solaria starts moving forward closing the gap as she brings her pistol up seeing a man poking out from the side of the tent. She brings up the Ashleen autopistol and fires... *CHA-LUCNK* The weapon jam! The poorly uncared for, dirty, low quality weapon the Arbite picked up off the Ashleen jams! The Emperor has a sense of humor.
Soliara: Move, Shoot #1 (Short +10): 97 JAM!!! Poor Ashleen Quality!
Rego then takes off at a run, he races across the field as fast as he can trying to cover as much ground as possible. His blade is held in both hands. Leaping through the smoke the Cleric shouts out with a grunt as he hacks his sword into the arm of the Voicer. The blade sever's the man's arm at the elbow! The blood spray coats Rego and the barechested woman with the hot crimson ichor of the man. Frenzied and insane, the Voice actually doesn't fall from the crippling blow!
Rego: Charge (+10): 11 Hit for 10 Wounds '€" 4T = 6 Wounds

Your Charge Speed is 9, you can make it. So I did. And you said SW that's off the map, assume you mean NW
The Ashleen around the camp continue to do what they are enjoying doing. Pairs of them butcher or torture woman and children in the tent area's they are at. To the north the crazied Ashleen bash in the head of a young boy no longer than twelve with the blunt ends of their cleavers to the screams of a nearby parent. The two Ashleen hack and mutilate the body choping at it over and over again. To the west a pair of men force themselves on a woman they have just drug from the tent. Her garments ripped off one of them takes his turn brutilizing her womanhood while the other holds her down.

The pair in front of you counter attack Rego, ignoring the civilians now that real foes are present. The armless man swings his weapon, but really it takes two hands to wield and seeing as he's bleeding all over, he doesn't even come close to hitting. The other one however leaps over the camp debris and hacks with his weapon into Rego's chest. From where Soliara is the blow looks terrible, even with the primative weapon against Rego's heavy flack vest....but looks can be decieving.
#1: Attack Rego: 64 Fail
#2: Move, Attack Rego 24 Hit [Dodge: 56 Fail!] Hit Body for 15 Wounds! (Primative AP Doubled) '€" 6 AP '€" 2T = 7 Wounds!

WHOLY SHIT! MV would you like to spend a Fate to try and Dodge again? Or to head 1d5 Wounds instantly? This puts Rego down to 3 Wounds Left, since he started at only 10 never being fully healed and refusing healing from the Pysker (not to mention faitgued).
Round 2 Initiative: Soliara 13 (Wary +1!), Rego 9 (Wary +1!), Ashleen 8

I'd like to get a reply from MV before moving on.

I added some dead bodies for fun :)

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:49 am

Full 18 move- Run! NW direction towards #5,#6. Gonna kill those rapists!!!

Go ahead with Rego first, of course!
Solaria can hear the screams of the woman, now, and she curses the weapon for jamming. With no time to clear it, she tosses the auto-pistol aside and runs with wild abandon. Evey sprinting step is punctuates with the woman's pain. All the Arbite can think opf is saving her... Father, be alright...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:49 pm

I can resolve Rego's Fate Point just prior or on his action. To keep the excitment going I'll press on.
Solaria can hear the screams of the woman men, and she curses the cheaply made weapon and tosses it into the brush. Her feet pound the packed earth charging across the open and barren ground. Weaving in around some of the smoke she closes in on the two men and the woman in the northwest, leaving Rego to his own devices.
Assuming you avoid the smoke so you don't have to make a test. I've moved you 18 as best as I could.
Rego, hit but...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:17 pm

Sent to me via JP cause of MV's computer issues.

Spending Fate for 1d5 Healing: Rolled 5!!! Means only 2 wounds Rego at 8 health.
Rego roars in pain and righteous fury as he lines up with his industrial sized sword, aptly named "Throne's Justice". He brings the blade down in a viscious overhand strike, ignoring the one armed Voicer and giving him the time he needs to pick up his recently separated appendage. Rego smiles grimly as he contemplates his own anatomy fueled ettiquette. His blade only grazes the arm of the other Ashleen leaving a slice down the flesh of the mad man's bicept. That leavs hims facing off against two wounded men, both who throw themselves at him in an all out fury of attacks.
Rego: Aim +10, 02 Hit Right Arm for 8 Wounds '€" 4 T = 4 Wounds
The Ashleen...
Out for lunch, more when I return.