Capitulus Secundus: Illumination - Aftermath

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Capitulus Secundus: Illumination - Aftermath

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:29 pm

Image This thread arrives from here: Illumination Main Thread

After the battle to protect Stern Hope from the Ashleen Voicers, the Acolytes find themselves with several things to handle. While some remain at the Priory to interogate a prisoner, others head to speak to the Seer Aristarchus about the events of the day.

Lead by Jericus, a few of the Acolytes cross the settlement and head for the Crying Clotta. There Aristarchus should be in his quarters. The road is littered with bodies still, some of them ones you killed in fact. As you near the Clotta you can see the outside is damaged, some of the building came under attack. Blast marks from a firebomb are evident, and the door hangs off the hinges that leads to the common room inside.
Alright, split thread for those going to see the Seer. Please post in so I know who's here.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Capitulus Secundus: Illumination - Aftermath

Post by Trogdor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Jericus, along with whoever follows, walks carefully around the corpses and into the Crying Cloata. He makes his way to Aristarchus's door, telling any who try to stop him that this is official Inquisition business.

When he gets to the door, Jericus knocks firmly. "Sir," he calls through the door. It's Jericus to see you. I won't be long. But I was hoping you could spare me a few minutes to talk about the consecration ceremony tomorrow."
I'm not sure who else is going. If it's just Jericus, that's okay. Though perhaps having Xanthia go too would be a good thing.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:19 pm

Back at the acolytes' gathering, Xanthia nodded to Jericus, though she remained silent otherwise after returning with Solaria.

Making her way across Stern Hope, slightly behind and to the side of Jericus, Xanthia is playing with her fake bolter while walking, trying to get a better feel for the piece of equipment that she's never used yet.

She enters the Crying Cloata behind Jericus, waiting for an answer from the other side of the door. She takes a moment in the better light to take a slightly closer look at the bolter.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:19 am

Jericus and Xanthia, with anyone else, head into the Clotta and find that the common room is trashed. It appears that a few Ashleen Voicers managed to get inside the building during the battle. The tables and chairs are over turned or broken, and there are large blood smears on the floor. The owner of the place along with his staff are currently working on cleaning things up and fixing the room back up now. There is some smoke damage too that trails up the stairs to Aristarchus' room. The place is certainly going to need some work to get fixed back to the frontier rough shape it was in before the battle.

Jericus bangs on the door to the Seer's room and calls out. The Seer replies, "Hold on a moment."

A minute later the door opens and Aristarchus smiles at you from inside the room, "Come in Jericus, Xanthia..." he nods at each person in turn.
I'd like to see who else joins before going much further.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:51 am

We know Solaria and Rego are staying to deal with the other interrogation; Haxtes is laid up with his injuries; and Xanthia and Jericus are there. The only question is where Damien will be. I'll wait until he posts or you say otherwise before going beyond this post.
"Thank you for seeing us, sir," Jericus says with a proper bow of his head to his superior. "I know you have many preparations to make for tomorrow, so I'll keep this short. First, I wanted to apologize for Solaria's outburst. There was no excuse for what she said, and she isn't trying to make one. She was thinking of the strategic situation here and she got carried away. If you believe any punishment is in order for her words, she will accept it stoically."

"But that isn't the main purpose of my visit." He takes a deep breath. "We're trying to plan how best to maintain security tomorrow, and we wanted to make certain that we all understood as much of the situation as we can. You mentioned that a miracle was in the offing. I expect you've also read the symbol of St. Drusus we saw burned into the rock as a harbinger of his favor on the cathedral. And I'll wager that your tarot cards have told you more." He doesn't pause for confirmation, as that would simply give the Seer a chance to cut him off. "We wanted to know if there was anything you could share with us about what kind of a miracle we might expect, or what its ramifications might be."

"Our forces are sadly diminished by the fight today," he adds. "If there's to be further conflict, we want to position those forces to provide the best defense we can for the cathedral. I understand that there are some things you may not be able to share with us. But if there are any details you could provide us about the incipient miracle of St. Drusus, it would help our planning and our defense greatly. We all want to honor St. Drusus properly. Please help us do that."
Hopefully by assuming the 'miracle' as a given in his conversation, Jericus can get past any denial of information about that fact and perhaps learn more about the expected details.

FWIW, Jericus is not trying to use Fellowship to get information. Quite the opposite. He's coming in as the loyal subordinate, trying to do the best he can to complete the job he's given, but needing additional information.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Damien, if here can post as such. I think its safe to continue a bit.
Aristarchus is far calmer than when last you saw him, in fact he looks almost applogetic when Jericus mentions the situation with Soliara. In that more grandfatherly tone he invites you into the room and begins to answer the questions, "I am the one that must appologize, I was acting rashly. Such an audicious attack on one of the Emperor's own cathedrals drove me to an emotional state. Soliara's outburst is forgiveable, and we shall not speak of it again, many things are said and done in the heat of battle that are best ignored later on." He takes a seat and listens to the further questions from the Scribe. "First remember Jericus that the ceremony is to continue on *tonight* not tomorrow. We are getting closer and closer to the time. You are keen eyed and sharp of mind Acolyte, and see much that your betters might miss, but you can be too doubting still. All I can say about the Miracle to come is that you must trust me and have faith, there is a reason for all of this, and a reason the warp would seek to twart us." He clearly won't give up more information, that much is clear on his face.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 pm

Xanthia also offers a proper bow to Aristarchus when the acolytes seen the Seer open the door.

Xanthia follows up Aristarchus' statements with a question of her own. She nods her head in agreement with the Seer's statements. "Sir, I do not believe that any of us seek to doubt you in this, however, we wish to know how you believe we should best be deployed during the coming ceremony."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Sorry about the tomorrow/tonight confusion. I've lost all track of time in this game.
Jericus nods his understanding. "Perhaps I am too doubting at times," he agrees. But trust can be difficult when the God-Emperor has so many enemies working to undermine His rule." The scribe speaks not with rancor, but rather with the caution of one who has been burned once too often. "I've run into so many people who would take advantage of my trust that it comes but slowly."

"Still, those in the Inquisition have proven their loyalty and their faith. I have no doubts of your loyalty to the Emperor, and your faith in Him and His saints. I look forward to witnessing the Miracle tonight, and celebrating in the glory of the Emperor."

Jericus pauses for a moment to gather his thoughts and formulate his next words carefully. "I hope you don't think it a lack of faith on my part,' he begins. "But I feel it is my duty to the Emperor and the Inquisition to ask whether there any possibility that the signs and portents have been falsified to draw the Emperor's servants into rash actions, or whether you might have simply misinterpreted them. I don't doubt your faith or your abilities. But we are all - save the God-Emperor Himself - capable of error. It seems near blasphemy for one as low in the organization as myself to question one as exalted as you. But as there are no more highly-ranked members of the Inquisition present, the task necessarily falls to one of my low position."

"I know that I have no right to question you beyond the duty of all members of the Inquisition, however lowly, to be on guard against any hint of heresy, no matter how small. And I don't actively question your loyalty in any way. But in a matter of such importance, I feel that I must remind you of your duty to exercise extreme care in drawing conclusions of such magnitude. The gains to the Imperium if you are correct will no doubt be great. But I implore you to consider the potential consequences if you are mistaken."

"You are, of course, a senior Inquisitor, and I but a junior Acolyte. Your decisions are final; and I shall question them no further. I and my fellow Acolytes will obey you as we would Inquisitor Sand. But I feel these words had to be said, these warnings voiced. I hope I have not been too impertinent."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:57 pm

The Seer smiles first at Xanthia, the friendly older man has returned, "You should attend Xanthia as any faithful member should. I will leave security details to those better suited to it, perhaps Brother Severus or Brother Lamark would be good to speak to about military deplyments." He then turns to Jericus and his face is hard, but not angry. "You must doubt Jericus, we must always be on guard against the enemies of the Imperium and you do the Inquisition proud to be so vilgilant as you are. You need worry not about myself however. My protections against such influence are strong." He pats the leather case that holds the Emperor's Tarot cards within. "Guard against heresy, but tread lightly so you do not become the heretic."

Just then there are shouts in the chamber below. "Inquisitor Aritsarchus! Help! Help the Abbot has been attacked! Help! Come quickly!" Down in the common room is a guard, one that was posted at the cathedral, he's covered in blood (none of it his) and he' yelling for help.

The Seer quickly stands up and moves to his door and goes to the stairs, "What is the meaning of this?"

"The Abbot! Hurry, come quickly to the Cathederal!" The guard waits long enough for everyone to follow and then leads the way.

The Seer looks at those here, "Come." His order is given, but not needed, as no doubt you would see what transpires with or without the Seer's prompting.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:59 pm

Jericus bows his head in respect as Aristarchus gives his advice and his assurances. It was unquestionable that Aristarchus had much protection. He wouldn't have become a senior Inquisitor else. But no one was impervious to trickery. And if the Seer was being tricked, then it was tautologous that he wouldn't know it. The Acolyte knows that Aristarchus represents a single point of failure, and that there is nothing checking the man's certainty. That was no problem if the Seer was right, but could be catastrophic if he was wrong.

The junior acolyte knows that the matter is now officially settled. Aristarchus made that clear. But he knows also that his duty to the Inquisition is to remain vigilant, for his duty was to the God-Emperor, the Imperium, the Inquisition, and Aristarchus, in that order. The needs of the first three trumped any orders Aristarchus might give him. It was a dangerous line to walk - and the God-Emperor help him if he inadvertently crossed it - but he could see no other option.

"Yes, sir," he says simply. "Thank you for your assurances. And I shall take your advice to heart."

Then the shout comes from below and the conversation ends. When Aristarchus calls him to follow, Jericus falls in behind him immediately.