Capitulus Tertius: Cold Vengeance

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Capitulus Tertius: Cold Vengeance

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Image "Place your faith in the Emperor, and always carry a big gun." - Mordechai Voght, High Marshall. It was one week ago that you left the feral world of Iocanthos and the defeated Crow Father behind. Your lighter lifted off of the only spaceport on the entire planet from Port Suffering with a bleeding scribe laying on his back cursing your name as he looked up into the wash of your aircraft.

The Brazen Sky, the down at heel cargo hauler that brought you to Iocanthos, is bringing you home. The flight from Iocanthos back to the Hive World Scintilla should take you somewhere around three weeks or more as the ships route takes it on a round about circuit of various argi and feral worlds in the Josian Reach doing its duty to the Imperium. It will be a long relaxing and boring spaceflight with only the alarmingly obsequisous purserer Sebek to pass the time with.

Rested and recovered from your ordeal on Iocanthos the group of Acolytes find themselves sitting in the plain mess hall area of the Brazen Sky as some louder than expected piece of unseen machinery churns away behind the bulkheads threatening to keep you up all night long with its whining and clanking. The glowglobes in this section of the ship are currently working, but yesterday two of them went out and didn't come back on for atleast seven hours.

Sitting, eating, talking, sharing a story or two, you relax as the Brazen Sky nears its furthest point on its journey, the planet Acreage.
Welcome to Chapter 3!!! You aren't dead! Yeah!

This chapter will deal with some tie in and various events that took place at BrenCon 2010! Some of you might recognize the chapter title already. Feel free to do some back posting, like what you've been doing for a week. (You've had no contact with Sand at this point, but if you wanted to have sent a message, you could have, he just hasn't replied).

Remember Sebek? The annoying merchant from your first flight on the Brazen Sky? He's on board again.

Everyone is healed of injuries, full on Fate, and any XP you want to have spent, is spent.
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Capitulus Tertius: Cold Vengence

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:50 am

Damien the Psyker leans his elbows on the metal table as he digs into their newest meal. He is very grateful for the mental discipline of his kind, as it helps him not speculate on what exactly he might be eating, and especially not to bet on which species the 'meat' dish originated. Home-cooked goodness this is not. But it's nutritious, and will keep a body alive on long space voyages. And after the hell of Iocanthos, he's grateful also for the ability to complain about the little things again.

Tossing his spoon onto the empty plate, he plops his chin on the palm of his hand, and looks around lazily. "I don't know about you guys, but after a week of boredom I'm starting to feel fat and lazy. No hunts for daemons or heretics, no shoot-outs, and plenty of rest. I only bother to put on my armour because it keeps me appropriately paranoid. How about the rest of you? Anything exciting going on?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Capitulus Tertius: Cold Vengence

Post by Trogdor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:04 am

For the first week of the trip home, Jericus begs off of most social contact, catching up on his sleep, and finalizing his reports. But after that's all done, he makes a surprising transformation. Normally quiet and almost sullen at times, he emerges from his bunk one morning energetic and talkative. Reclaiming the cover story he'd used weeks ago with Sebek, when they were heading out to Iocanthos.

Upon reaching the dining table for breakfast that ship's morning he greets Sebek cheerfully and apologizes for being so reticent the last few days. Reports for the home office, he explains. If they didn't get every milligelt accounted for, there would be hell to pay on his return. And even with detailed reports, he's still likely face interminable questions. Best to get those things done soonest, isn't that right?

Sebek is no less annoying than before. But somehow Jericus's annoyance seems to have evaporated. He seems an entirely different person now, content to pass the time with the merchant's annoying chatter. He knows that soon enough they'll have to go truly undercover. And if he couldn't deal with the minor annoyance of a socially inept merchant, then he had no business taking on more complicated missions where the Inquisition expected more of him.
It's nearing time for us to get alter egos. I figure having bought Charm recently, Jericus is ready to make nice and practice being a middle class merchant for the rest of the flight.

Also, I'm assuming that Damien's comments about daemons and heretics is when Sebek is not around.
Edited to correct a term.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Capitulus Tertius: Cold Vengeance

Post by Grimbold » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:43 pm

Haxtes does not talk much. He roams the ship as far as he is allowed to and watches the cogs and gears of the millions of small (and big) mechanisms on the ship working to get them home. He will try to ask someone to give him a tour through the engine room, promising not to touch anything. Perhaps there are also adeptus mechanicus around on the ship? He looks around for some cybernetics but knows it might be difficult to get them on a ship.

Without a word, Haxtes assumes the role of a bodyguard/tech aide of Jericus (middle class merchant), Silently standing next to him. He cannot hide being a tech priest but he knows some merchants hire Adeptus Mechanicus for help with tech or as techno-bodyguards.

He also removes the red dot sight from his lascarbine and puts it on the new lasrifle.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:07 pm

Solaria sits and eats with the others, watching the psyker eat with the slightest look of distaste on his face. "You're right, Damien, this protien mush isn't anywhere near as good as some sump rat or the like. What really bothers me though, is Sebek finally admitted that there's a Crew Reclamation center onboard. And he didn't know where the meals were really coming from..." She waits a minute, letting the others ponder for a moment and their faces to pale a little, then bursts out laughing at the joke she just made. "I'm sorry, I couldn't help it! That was just, too easy." After a few breaths, she gets her laughing under control and gets back to business. Turning towards Sebek, "Sebek, darling... How's business? Have you picked up anything to show my Boss since we last spoke?"
Keep in mind everyone, that Sebek doesn't know I'm an Arbite or my name is Solaria. He just thinks I go by Jade and, me and Xanthia are Jericus's bodyguards.

As for alter ego's, I'd like to start looking into becoming a Commisar!
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Rego grumbles into his food. His tempermant declining rapidly the closer the ship gets to their final destination. He awaits new orders to break the monotony of the journey, but is realistic knowing that long hours of interogation will preceed any new projects. "The emperor provide's he utters loudly to himself as the spork full of mash clears his lips and he swallows hard, to spite Solaria's jest...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:11 am

Xanthia hasn't liked the food provided on the trip any more than the rest of the others have. "Mush is mush. Much the same as anywhere else. It all tastes basically the same."

She has mostly kept to herself on the trip since they aren't allowed to go too many places on the ship. She's either found on her bunk (as she was on the first trip prior to her conversation with Damien) or in the mess hall, since that provides for more space than the bunk area does.

She turns her head slightly, giving a small smile to Sabek, waiting to hear what he tells Solaria.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:18 pm

Sebek is staring at Solaria deeply and longingly at the woman and her figure, rather obviously as well. "Business? Its fine, made some good sales back on Iocanthos, the taxes are too high there, but I did alright. Not too much in the way of new things however. That planet isn't the most advanaced sort of places you know. Mostly got some, well nothing you'd be interested in."

Right about then the entire ship begins to shudder and the geller fields that protect the ship while traveling through the warp occilate and the crew and passangers all feel a little ill. The Braze Sky lurches forward and then backwards, and realtiy shifts and breaks. The Brazen Sky is dropping out of the Warp and back into real space. The experience is never pleasant but the Brazen Sky lacks and buffer tech to make it less unpleasant and so everyone does their best to hold down their protein mush. Sebek grabs the table whiteknuckled, "I never like this part!"

In the next minute the cargo hauler leaves the Warp and fall back into realspace, various buzzers and alarms go off, and the crew in the mess hall pick up without any hurry and make their way to their stations.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:23 pm

"At least the crew gets to feel useful," Jericus quips, after taking a few deep breaths to settle his stomach. "We just sit here doing nothing, lamenting the gelt we're losing in the process."

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:27 pm

"Awww. That's too bad, Sebek. The Boss is always looking for something new." She winks and reaches over, pinching his cheek, "And I'm always looking for something new to shoot, too. Keeps em' wondering, eh Sebek?" Solaria pushes herself up from the table and dumps her plate in a trough. "Time to go ready ourselves for departure, I guess." She looks over to Sebek before leaving the mess, "I wish you luck on your business here, Sebek. Taxes can't be too bad..." With that, Solaria goes back to the barracks and readies her gear.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...