Capitulus Quartus: Duplicity

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Chamber XIII

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:17 pm

He sort of slipped among the cracks, and did make it off. This works for me.
Marr nods, "I'm pleased to hear he has survived, you will include his current location among your report then." He motions at the group, "Now then, your report. Let me hear everything, and please whatever you have collect from the heretical auction should be placed on the table there." He looks with the eye of an Inquisitor at the group as if gives his orders.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:35 pm

Jericus slips a dataslate from a pocket of his robes and places it on the table. "This contains a detailed report. I will give you a precis of that report now." Then, without preamble, he begins to speak. "The matter began when we traveled by air ship to the auction. While onboard, we met several other groups that were also heading to bid on the auction ..."

Jericus goes through the whole dreary visit, including the ambush on the air ship, the various investigations that were performed, their need to arm themselves from the preliminary auctions, their use of their own funds to purchase some of the weaponry they later used to great effect, the prophesy by the Gilded Widow, Greel's betrayal before the main auction, Xanthia's possession, the Shale Crow cultist attack, the void shield, the xeno attack, the encounter with Nonesuch, and their final escape. "... at which point the air ship departed the island. It seems likely that before too long the void shield was put back in place, though I have no actual proof of that. And if Greel was telling the truth, then some sort of destructive explosion will have taken place. But I have no way of testing his veracity. Presumably these are things that can be checked out via other means."

Once he has finished, he moves to the table. There he puts the Crimson Bestiary, a pile of Cryptus Shotgun Shells, two shuriken pistols, and last of all, Brimstone. He then nods to each of the others that they should place what items they have on the table as well. If necessary, he reminds people of things they have forgotten. Jericus does not let up until the Erasmus Bellasco Dueling Pistol, the remaining Cryptus Shotgun Shells, the Omnisian Axe, the Staff of the Martyred Psyker, Saint Meredith's Wristlet, and yes, even the Moliochin Fire Heart are resting on the table.

"That is what happened; and that is what we recovered of the auctioned items." Throughout the process, Jericus maintains a neutral tone and a neutral mien.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:16 am

Solaria listens to Jericus and places everything on the table. She pauses, noticably, hand on the Fire Heart for sometime. Finally, after several heartbeats she takes her hand off it and returns to stand next to Jericus. It's funny, but all the weapons and goods they one mean little to her. It's the Fire Heart that Jericus bought for her and acted as a grounding charm during the fight agaisnt Nonesuch that matters most.

She leans into Jericus and whispers, "Don't forget the problems Xan and us had with the bounty hunters in Dead Town and the fact that I was the supposed the "Scion" of Haarlock..."
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:17 am

Damien grimaces slightly as he forces himself to put down the Staff of the Martyred Psyker. Not only did he help pay for it with his own credits, but it has been the most potent focus for Psykic power he has ever wielded. The man may not have delusions of leadership, but power is another matter. He straightens his face, and pays attention to Jericus' report. He only speaks when a pertinent detail has been overlooked, such as the 'emptiness' he felt when Master Nonesuch was around, tipping him off that it was not human, that sort of thing.

For those versed in body language, if you're paying attention, he is more afraid of the gaunt woman at the side of Marr, than the Inquisitor himself!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:22 pm

Rego is pained as he removes the wristlet and turns to Jericus, "I do not see the mask brother"...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:42 pm

"Of course, the mask." Jericus lays the mask on the table. "Acolyte Rego recovered this during the confusion surrounding Greel's betrayal - at great risk to himself."
I wasn't intending to hold anything back. It's just that I went by the loot sheet and the mask never made it to the loot sheet. Alas that I don't have the Total Recall that Jericus does. :-)

And I hate this as much as anyone. But I think we get more screwed if we hold things back than if we hand everything over. Among other things, Mayweather knows what happened. When he gives his report, it would fill Marr in on everything we got at the auction. (Assuming he isn't crazy enough not to remember.)

Also, you all would know that Jericus prepared a thorough report. In the last hours on the air ship he probably asked some questions to fill in gaps where he wasn't aware. You can assume that his report is very thorough.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:16 am

Marr stands from his chair with great effort and moves to the table as items are placed on it. He shifts through them, pushing some items away or to the side. He takes the book and flips it open and scans through it with a great wide smile before coughing several times. "You have done wonderfully." He takes the mask as well and tucks it into a pouch on his side." The shotgun shells, the Wristlet and Fireheart he sweeps to the side, ignoring them completely. His hands run up and down the Staff of the Martyred Psykers, and then he inspects the Omnisiann Axe, and then Brimstone as well. "These are powerful relics, rare and unique." He looks over his shoulder at Jericus and the group, "Loyal, and honest. Rare among men, even Inquisitors."

Cimbria can't help but show her interest in the auction items as well, and she paces over there on her long legs and places a loving hand on the Brimstone. "This is a most fine weapon."

Marr glances around the table, "I do not see the credit stick that I gave you. I will have that back as well."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:24 am

Jericus takes the credstick out of a pocket of his robe and hands it to Marr. "You will find that the majority of the value remains on the credit stick. We were reserving most of wealth you provided for the ... more outre items that were to be sold in the main auction - the main auction that never occurred. We bid in the earlier auctions primarily to outfit ourselves with weaponry against the possibility of conflict - a precaution that proved quite worthwhile when Greel's betrayal became evident. However, since we were bidding on items that, while rare, did not seem heretical, we used primarily our own resources to purchase those. I have been told many times that it is an acolyte's duty to provide for himself as much as possible."

The implication that they desire to keep the weapons is clear from his comment. But he does not presume to demand, or even openly ask for them from a full Inquisitor. What is not officially asked for cannot be officially denied. Subtlety is ever the better road to take.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:35 am

Marr takes the stick and shoves it into his pocket never checking it. He coughs a hobbles back into his chair. "Cimbria, bring me the staff, and axe, place them in my cargo bin." The woman does as she is told and the Omnissian Axe and the Staff of the Martyred Pysker are placed safely in a compartment behind his chair. One of his servants, a pale grey woman dabs the Inquisitor's face as he coughs up blood.

The void born Cimbria smiles, "And the Brimstone my liege? Its such a nice piece of firepower...." she pouts, a look you almost would expect Solaria to be making toward Jericus. The Inquisitor gives in, "You may have it Cimbria." The woman claps and grabs up the rifle and caresses it like its a lover. "Oh thank you my liege." She glances at Jericus with a wink.

Marr waves his hand, "I release you from my service. Return to Inquisitor Sand, I believe he's left a Lighter for you to get off planet with." Then a fit of coughing wracks his body, and he motions at his servitors and they lift his high backed chair and carry him out like a prince on a palaquin. Cimbria follows him out, and with a mock salute offers a parting shot, "Thanks for the play things!"

The group in all vanishes out the secret door, the bookcase returns to normal latching behind them. That leaves you, and table of a few random items alone.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:17 am

Jericus moves over to the table and quietly picks up Fireheart from the floor next to it. He then walks over to Solaria and gives it back to her. "At least he left us that." He pauses for a moment, silently locking eyes with Solaria before he turns and addresses the others.

"Thank you for being willing to hand things over so easily, even such things as those." His hand involuntarily goes to his shoulder where Brimstone used to rest. "I know what it took to give them up. But I'm afraid this was the only way. Dishonesty leads to discovery; and discovery leads to punishment or blackmail. I'm fairly certain that none of you wish to be accused of lying to a full Inquisitor about Inquisition matters; and I'm completely certain that none of you wish to be in a position where Inquisitor Marr has a hold over you. And trust me, he would have learned the truth."

The scholar walks back to the table and picks up both of the shuriken pistols and a handful of the shotgun shells. "I suggest we take what we've been given and move on. I'd like to find the Lighter that's been left for us. I'd prefer not to spend another hour on this beknighted planet if I can help it."
Did you really think we were going to walk away with three artifacts?

We got a few cool items and a great reason to hate both an Inquisitor and a fellow acolyte. That's pretty good for one adventure.

Also, let's not forget the power scythe and Abbot Tamas' credit block ... Jericus will say nothing about those until we're on the Lighter and heading outsystem. But then he'll bring it up. How much was on that credit block again?