Capitulus Quartus: Duplicity

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Capitulus Quartus: Duplicity

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Image "In the darkness of the void, a billion hungry xeno silently slip between the stars;
gnawing like so many rats at the edges of the great Imperium."
-- Hortrian Tybirus, Captain of the Divine Crusade, Battlefleet Calixis.

A month an a half has passed since delievering your report face to face to Inquisitor Sand. Since that time the small cell of Acolytes has been inactive. During this time the group has not spent much time with one another -- each having many personal items to take care off.

For the last six weeks Solaria, the Arbite, has been back to work for the lawmen of the Imperium. She finds that her actions with the Inquisition are not assisting her among her order. She remains low ranking among the Arbites, her time away has given those of equal or lower rank before starting out time to advance up the ladder of the Arbites. It is a little frustrating for the woman who's slain xeno and heretics alike. Still she does her duty. The highlight of her time in service is the corpse ration riots. Down in one of the underhives the scum and population think to rise up against their betters. Their riots are put down by the Arbites in no small part by Solaria's various skills, both in diplomacy and combat.

Nearly vanished for the last month is Xanthia. The assassin leaves Sands and works with Jericus for a short while to collect some weaponry and then you don't see her again for weeks. She is anything but idle, her special skills put to use by those willing to pay. A noble in one of the higher spires who's been speaking out against his betters is eventually found dead, a bolter round in his spine, and a ritual dagger left in his heart. It has all the makings of a hired killed of a rival house, but there are doubts and there are lots of Thrones in Xanthia's pocket.

Haxtes returns to the Tech Priests, he has need of surgery and maintenance of her mechendrites. His cyber leg was attached by a sub-par tech. So for the next six weeks he has his leg removed and reattached properly. Ocular mechendrites are implanted as well, and he spends much time convalescing after this major surgeries only seeing his brother who manages to navigate the administratum of the Tech Priests to gain a visit.

Jericus spends a short while working with the group as sales and purchases are bought but then he vanishes, you assume, into the massive bureaucratic web of the Administratum. He is in fact working on new contacts and developing an alter ego. He begins the long road of working into the trade companies favored servants. For a month he is not Jericus, but is Advocate Jonath Draco. He manages to use his new contacts to gain items for some of his allies as he works, but not all, he fears pushing his new alter ego too far too fast.

Father Rego seeks the Light of the Ecclesiarchy and goes into a deep retreat. His wounded foot takes some time to convalesce but it is his soul that he worries for. So much contact with xeno and heretics and daemons, he must seek guidance from the God Emperor and he does that in seclusion deep in the cathedrals on Scinctilla.

Damien too is scarce, but not completely vanished. His training in biomancy requires a master of the art to teach him. The Scholaria Psycania demands things of a pysker of Damien's level before it will train him further, and those needs are met, but so are Damien's. In the end of the time he has unlocked great powers of his mind, and of the warp.
Welcome to Chapter 4! I'm not ready yet, please don't post yet.
Last edited by Vardaen on Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Capitulus Quartus: Duplicity

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:11 pm

Spread across the city, working, resting, simply living, each of the Acolytes receives a letter. On the outside is the seal of Inquisitor Sand. The servitor that delivers the letter stands blank faced, mind wiped and with no emotion or thoughts in its head.

The letter is taken and the seal broken, the scribbled note reads.

"Trusted Acolyte,

The Churgeon has resurfaced. Ready yourself, our foes among the Logicians have been discovered. You leave for the planet Solomon in two hours. Be at Spacedock Felix, Goldaric Spire, Platform GHD-45Z.

Sand"

The servitor's left hand, replaced with a small flame producer lights up with red fire and you burn the note after memorizing the location. Without delay you complete your tasks at hand and ready yourself for a interstellar flight from Scintilla to Solomon.
I'll give everyone a chance to make a nice post here, receiving the letter, getting ready and arriving at the spaceport dock. You can really flavor it up here if you like.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:01 pm

As he walks back to the office from lunch, Jonath Draco is approached by a servitor. Such things were hardly uncommon for an advocate. He'd received a dozen such message deliveries in the past month, most from various functionaries in the Adminsitratum that the Asteria Trading Company had matters before. With a friendly smile to his companions, he waves them on and says, "let me take this; it could be important. I'm waiting to hear from the building commission on our waiver for the new warehouse. So the smartly dressed advocate steps into a sheltered doorway and takes the note. He shows no surprise when he sees the seal, though he definitely feels it. He hadn't told Sand about his alternate identity. He's always assumed the Inquisitor kept close enough tabs on him that he'd know about it. But still, getting cold hard evidence was quite another thing.

Breaking the seal, the acolyte scans the missive twice before consigning it to the flames. "Message received and acknowledged," he tells the servitor, then pays it no more heed. Instead, he takes out a local comm unit and calls his boss, Tyric Asteria. "Tyr," he says in a casual tone. "I'm afraid one of those rush jobs has come up that I warned you about." He'd warned Tyric when his old friend had helped him create the Jonath identity that he might have priority clients that would cause him to disappear for weeks on end for off-planet consultations. He did most of his consulting and advocating for ATC, but not all. Tyric knew and understood that, thankfully. "Kaern can put out any fires and keep matters moving forward. We're in a waiting mode on a lot of them anyway. I've left careful notes on all pending matters." He pauses to listen for a moment, then adds. "No, I'm not sure when. Might be weeks. It's off-planet, I can tell you that. So I need to factor in travel time." Another pause. "Yes. Yes, I will. Thanks. And I'll come back in as soon as I'm back on Scintilla." He snaps off the comm unit, thankfull that Jonath actually has reason to be quickly called off-planet. Advocates did all sorts of work, much of it confidential, and the good ones dealt with interplanetarty and interstellar issues.

He puts these thoughts out of his mind and turns back to his apartment, where he fills up a large pack and heads down to the garage in the basement. There, in a disused storeroom, Jonath walks in, and Jericus walks out. Xeno mesh under his robes and a new long las sniper rifle in his bag, the acolyte is newly ready to take on what dangers he may be forced to confront. Glancing at his chrono, the ork toof back on in place of a more sedate fob that Jonath uses, Jericus considers the time and opts for a cab to make certain he makes the rendezvous.

And so it is, that one hour and forty-five minutes after the servitor delivered its message to Jonath, Jericus strides across Goldaric Spire and through an archway labeled "Platform GHD-45Z."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:11 pm

Damien Quinn never travelled far from Inquisitor Sand after the meeting. His personal debriefing, both physical and psykic, was intense and thorough. Battles with creatures of the Warp, direct and prolonged contact with Tech-heresy, psykic backlash at multiple occasions, all of these made for a security risk that was fully investigated. Only after being cleared was he able to exit the interrogation chambers a week later, and continue his training.

After their travels abroad, it became abundantly clear to the Psyker that while the Acolytes might be good at dealing out death to their enemies, their ability to sustain that firepower was greatly handicapped by their inability to recover from the rigors of combat. And while his minimal healing powers were quantum leap above what they had previously been able to muster, it was not enough. And so, his training. Masters of the Scholaria Psykana being what they are, the next month of his life was a living hell, pushing the boundaries of his will and sanity to force his mind through suffering to the next stage of power.

The messenger servitor finds Damien in a training room. With a sharp cry he puts forth his hand and a huge bolt of electrical energy erupts from his fingers, striking a combat servitor advancing with a jagged knife. Its chest is blown apart by the strike, crippling it instantly. The Psyker calmly ignores the damaged automaton and reads the message held by the undamaged servitor. He memorizes it, then ignores the messenger while the message is destroyed. He turns back to the cripples combat servitor, and repairs the damage he just inflicted. Seared muscle regenerates, burst organs repair, and within a few minutes it is as though nothing had occurred.

As he departs the training room, he sends out a requisition on the report filed by Jericus those long months ago about their encounter with the Churgeon, along with any open intel on the creature. After the review, he travels straight to the Spacedock.
I had to re-read most of that Chapter to remind myself what had occurred. It's been almost two years IRL since those events, and my character hadn't even been involved. So the details were understandably quite hazy in my recollection. I am looking forward to seeing what the Churgeon has been up to since you last busted up 'her' lab.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:02 pm

As per her lot in South Precinct 13, Solaria has been taking the shit jobs and lousy shifts that show her low seniority at the station. The servitor finds her at the duty desk, taking complaints and pointing the way back out the door for those loitering with no purpose. Reading the message and burning the evidence, she nods att he servitor to take off. Looking over her shoulder, she calls out to the shift officer, Sgt. Tomas. "Hey sarge, I gotta take off. Time to do some under the table work."

A couple of people at the station know aht she does, the Provost Marshal and her immediate CO being two of them. That's the only reason Solaria is allowed to leave like she is now. Making her way back to the locker rooms, she starts to strip down out of the standard issue heavy carapace armor the Arbites wear and showers up. It never bothered her to be naked in front of men or women like she is now. Besides, either are fun to look at.

At her locker, she gears up, even hanging the ork toof and pistol off her webbing, making a few officers double take at the trophies. He weapons and armor are in her kit bag and she finishes up at her hab block before going off to meet everyone at the dock.

Arriving at the platform, the Arbite is quite the sight in her new gear. Her armor, a tight mesh of black scales is skin tight, leaving little to the imagination. Her helmet is now a visored version of the same armor and hangs from her hip. The armor and her webbing are shades of black and dark grey and are loaded with clips and grenades. Solaria has the ork stubba and her silenced auto on her hips, waiting to be used. Hanging from the woman's belt is a ubiquitous Arbite weapon, the Shock maul. Cradled in her arms is a heavy autogun with a large drum type mag. Slung under the foregrip is a amll pump shotgun integral to it's design. Solaria smiles bradly to Damien and Jericus. Winking at the Adept, She says , "Missed ya boss." Looking over to the psyker, "How's it hanging, Damien?" "So, that bitch is at it again, huh?"
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:39 am

Dimly lit shadows shroud the naked man within the penetants chamber of the cathedral. Rego's torn flesh a sign of his willingness to sacrifice his corporeal form in exchange for the wisdom of the God-emperor's mercy.

A calloused hand draws the blooded cat-o-nine from the cold stone flooring beneath the priest. His bicep flexes viciously sending the leather strapping and metal studding across his torn back and a grimace over his facial features. With a slight hesitation he lays the device of agony again before his knees and begins reading from the gilded tome once again.

"Per sanguinem redempti sumus sacrificium. Per misericordiam impio ferro", the words echoing in the hollow recesses of the room. Just as the recitation begins to fade, a sudden bang upon the heavy metal doors snaps Rego from his reverie.

Silently the priest draws the crimson dyed robe of penance over his shoulders and makes the sign of the aquilla before rising. The servitor waiting patiently just outside the entrance as the iron gateway to forgiveness opens.

Rego allows the message to be relayed before once again turning to the small altar at the rear of the chamber and kneeling once again. "Blessed be your wisdom and this chance for forgiveness". Rising once again Rego then turns and exits. He showers to remove weeks of crusted blood from his body, then donning fresh travelling robes and strapping his webbing and weaponry into place with a strange and new found ritualistic grace.

Before long he finds himself at the docks looking for his brethern and the chance to sate his diety's appetite...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Grimbold is on Vacation still
Haxtes has spent the last month convalescing. He has had his cybernetic leg removed, and then replaced a second time, this time by Tech-Priests who know the craft better than the butcher on the Brazen Sky. This new surgery has improved his health, and removed the constant pain he was suffering from the poor work.

His right eye has also been removed, and replaced with a Mechadendrite. The wiring to his nervous system has greatly improved his perception, and now when he gazes about the bright haze of a ultra blue light shines out. It has cost him time and money, but in the end he is that much closer to the Machine God. Only last week he began to once more return to his duties, light at first, but quickly growing.

So it is that the servitor finds him working with several other Tech-Priests to anoint a large cogitator engine with the proper machine rites and blessed oils. He takes the letter, scans it with his optical implant. A blather of techno noise passes between the pair, and the servitor turns around heads out. Haxtes produces a small torch, burns the letter and then strides off with his cybernetic leg banging loudly against the metal platting of the floor.

An hour later, with his war gear, and his other items, he strides into the dock where the others have gathered.
Grimbold, since you are on vacation, we can deal with your purchases as you return. I have deducted the 400gelt for the Ocular Implants already since you took that talent and we don't have any doubt about that.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:22 pm

Rego makes his way onto the landing pad and spots his friends. Walking towards him, his great sword laying across his shoulders, vibrates and shivers. Several purity seals dangle off of the weapon's crossguard and sway in the Hive's reprocessing breeze.

The cleric stops before the few gathered, driving the point of his shivering blade into the deck of the landing pad before him. Under his robes, Rego now wears full flak armor and has replaced the majority of his weapons with just a handcannon and an odd looking flamer. His long, unkempt hair hangs over his shoulders and the ususal grim expression the priest has become known for decorates his craggy face. "Children of the Imperium," his voice rings out, "I do hope you all have been praying in accordance to the Ecclisiarchy's most holy protocols... It would seem that the sector would once more need such faith."
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Thank you for your assistance master Jiggly...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:29 pm

One by one the Acolytes arrive, and one by one you spot each other, all save for Xanthia, she still has not arrived. The group begins to form up little by little, and soon five of you are moving toward the launch pads of the spacedock, the smell of promethium fuel fills the air, the roar of lighters and transports taking off and landing. There is the hustle and bustle of servitors loading and unloading ships and pulling fuel lines, and generally doing their work along the scorched permacrete launch pads. Local PDF forces stand watch in slender towers or along the wall in areas, standing guard at the gates here and there are men dressed in flak vests with flak helms and simple lasrifles you'd expect to find among the Imperial Guard.

An officer of the PDF troop stationed hear paces toward you. You can see a look on his face that speaks of hard years of work, long hours, and plenty of trouble faced down. In his mouth is a half chewed cigar that is unlit. He makes the sign of the Aquilla as he nears, "You must be the 'cargo' I was told about, couldn't be anything but." He points toward a small red painted lighter that is just finished being fueled. "That's your ship there. Passage is paid for, and they await your boarding." He eyeballs the group, "Missing one or was I told wrong?"