Capitulus Octo: Baron Hopes

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Inquisitor

Asod Morrir: No More

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:25 am

Lucius simply nods his acceptance and continues with his cleaning. Someone has to do it, after all.

As he does so, he thinks to himself about how the events of the past few days were nothing compared to what he had seen in the past. They were unusual, of course, but nothing particularly threatening or terrible, as far as he was concerned.

He takes note of the perceptible shakes that the other Arbitrators have - they are rattled. They survived, which was to their credit, he supposes, but they were still weak. Zombies, mutants and sorcerers shouldn't be worth such a response, after all. Hopefully the experience will toughen up those that can handle it, and weed out those that can't.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:14 pm

Jericus notices a slight sneer on Lucius' face as the mortiurge looks at the Arbites. "Be careful how you regard our local hosts," the acolyte warns. "They've shown great bravery in an impossible situation, and deserve praise for how they've handled themselves. They've responded favorably to our every request, and have remained sane in the face of a terror that would drive many men mad. I daresay that you've never faced anything quite so horrifying as what we just experienced. Despite years in the Inquisition, we certainly haven't."

"The Arbites are local troops and aren't expected to deal with more than local criminals. That they were able to face such horrors as they did with such equanimity speaks volumes for their valor, and I intend to mention them all favorably in my report."

"It's no weakness to be shaken by such sights as we've seen today. The day that they're not shaken is the same day I start to question their sanity. Remember that if you hope to be a member of the Inquisition. We fight to protect the masses from such horrors, not to inure them to it."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 pm

I want to make a point here so we are all clear. The entire planet was at threat here, and could have fallen if you didn't defeat Assod. At the point of his death, which will be come clear as we clean up, there were several thousand warp zombies slaughtering down below in the harrow. As it stand production of the mine will take a major hit.

The extra dimensional rooms are utterly unique, even the Inquisitors have seen nothing like them, they are that which should not be.

Sorcerers, zombies, daemon pacts, are not run of the mill. The general population is kept so far in the dark that they should be driven mad but such thing. This game is one of discovery and exploration of the dark and terrible in the Immperium.

You guys are seriously 'young' and inexperienced in game terms. "As he does so, he thinks to himself about how the events of the past few days were nothing compared to what he had seen in the past. They were unusual, of course, but nothing particularly threatening or terrible, as far as he was concerned. "

Is NOT something I would expect to see posted for this. If you are expecting some sort of other game, then we may have to rethink things a bit. I realize he has some history and a few traits that make him cold hearted and corrupted, but still, come on man.
Rotlan smiles at Jericus, "I thank you for your kind words, and my own report will also reflect kindly on you and yours. The sitrep is coming in, and it looks like we avoid complete destruction. Servoskull estimates put the zombie horde in the thousands, and growing at the point of Assod' destruction. So many serfs are dead it will take a week or more to deal with all the bodies."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:07 pm

"I'm sorry we weren't able to handle this with less bloodshed," Jericus replies sincerely. "But I fear that matters could have been far worse if we hadn't drawn Morrir out of hiding to confront us. If he'd remained safe behind his undead horde, the entire planet might well have been lost." Or worse, he doesn't add, not wanting to think about the consequences if this incident had traveled off-planet. "As it turns out, we were fortunate that he learned of the Baron's presence and arrogantly came to try and destroy him."

"I'll recommend that resources be diverted to help with the damage done today," he adds. "Though I can't make any guarantees that my recommendations will be followed. I'm sure that Baron Ulbrexis will do everything he can to help you as well. And since his star is on the rise, that help will not be insignificant."

The baron was absent when the trouble rose up, and was instrumental in its defeat. Given that the Inquisition will likely want its role downplayed in this matter, he might well come out of this as the hero of the day, adding yet more to the story of 'Saint' Ulbrexis. In all likelihood he'd become the sainted baron who came back from the dead when his world was most in need. That would play well with the masses, and might be just what the planet needed to heal. Jericus shakes his head and dismisses the thought. Questions of planetary rulership were far above his pay grade, and nothing he should waste his time on. He was just happy that there was a planet left for Ulbrexis to rule.

"We'll stay here for a while longer," he tells Rotlan. "At least until our superior arrives." He wasn't sure if Rotlan knew Sand by name, and a lifetime of caution keeps Jericus' comments vague. "We'll use the time to continue our investigations and try to run down any lesser cultists that we can find. But if there's anything we can do to help with the recovery process, just let me know and we'll try and oblige."

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm sorry Vardaen, I had went with Warp Touched for a reason! He had seen an honest to god warp incursion and been left a shell of a man! Please feel free to ask me to correct anything here, but I've always considered Warp Touched as a complete screw-up, hence the application made for Lucius! It gives the From Beyond trait, which makes characters utter freaks (almost inhuman, in fact).

I was hoping he'd be an utterly broken weirdo that was recruited because he's an utterly broken, but useful, weirdo. There's a reason he doesn't use contractions in speech (and, generally, speaks in an 'off' tone all the time), treats people like dogs, and is a general wreck of a person.

'Not threatening' makes sense to Lucius in character - he took zero wounds from monsters attacking him - in spite of the fact that previous tasks have injured him (24 instances of injury worthy of merit on his records...). The fact that they were actually dangerous isn't really relevant to him - he's that weird, and didn't notice/care. He, personally, wasn't under any real threat (in his, almost certainly incorrect, mind), so saw the others who died as weak.

Thinking nothing of the zombies makes sense - he's utterly alien mentally. He literally cannot feel fear. Added to this, the description on his records very clearly make this exactly the sort of thing he would think and do (especially regarding an intolerance of weakness).

Sorcery? Well, he has witnessed a certain thing, which is arguably worse than zombies (17 Arbitrators dead, as opposed to one or two).

--

In short - I'm trying to make Lucius look inhuman and weird. This is not a good thing. I want him to look disturbing and worthy of Inquisitorial attention. He's the sort, like the application says, that would be treated like a plasma gun. He'll probably get experimented on, and have the Inquisitor's psykers asking some very serious questions.

For the record - I've made a point of not having Lucius do anything actively badass in his background, he's been a witness and a survivor (if it can be called that) only - to the point where his mind is just barely human.

--

With regards to this post - to Lucius, one day is the same as the next. Zombies, Redemptionists burning people, gangs shooting folk, daemonic outbreaks, it all leaves the same ashen taste in his mouth.

Of course, I'm happy, as always, to edit things out.
"With all due respect, sir," responds Lucius to Jericus, pausing for a moment, "you may find that making assumptions about me to be somewhat ill-advised."

He rolls his eyes behind his visor before explaining further.

"Check my service record, you most likely have the clearance."
Last edited by bluntpencil2001 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 pm

"Really." Jericus lets the word hang there for a moment.

"Well then, " he adds after a pause, looking at Lucius as a butcher would a nice side of beef. "We'll certainly want you talking to my superior if that's how you feel. And it will be up to him to decide in what capacity you can best serve the Imperium."

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:22 am

Lucius removes his helmet, revealing his brutally scarred face. His eyes are almost vacant. The way in which he makes eye contact with Jericus is slightly off, as if looking at just the wrong part of Jericus' face when he speaks.

"Understood. My serial number entry is Obscurus-Calixis-Josian Reach-Alpha Four-One, Nine-Eight, Seven-Eight-Four. That should assist you in retrieving my records. I, personally, do not have access."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:43 am

Jericus nods as Lucius gives the serial number. "I'll definitely look into your service record," he says. And anything else relevant that's in your file. His eyes continue to assess the mortiurge, making particular note of his scars and vacant look. The records would no doubt fill in the details.

"I expect our superior to arrive within the next two or three weeks," He continues after a brief pause. "I'll have to ask you to remain on planet until then. I daresay there will be plenty of work for all of us to do in the meanwhile. It'll take at least that long to clean up the mess Morrir caused."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:17 am

Damien just blinks at the two men, then looks over at Haxtes. "Well, that's something. Want to help me figure out how to reconnect the Op-Center back to the rest of the mines? I can manipulate reality enough to allow myself to fly, and have superhuman strength. With your technical guidance, we can at least jury-rig something strong enough to last until we can get real construction teams up here to repair the bridges."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Aftermath

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Rotlan moves over to Jericus, "Our systems are damaged, the zombies on the roof broke some of the antena, but once we are back up and working you are welcome to communicate off world with whomever you need."

Over the course of the next week you work to repair the damage done to the Op Center. The serfs are set to dealing with the dead. You take casualty numbers, they are in the thousands. Six of the main mines are damaged, but only 1 so badly that it won't ever reopen. Any attempt to contact Olion the mutant contact you had made fails, all mutants in the mines, good or bad, have gone so far underground you can't make contact with them.

The Royal Scourges have been extra brutal to the serfs in the clean up efforts, and a battalion of them arrive to replace those that were slaughtered in the zombie up rising. They clamp down, and have the numbers over the decimated Arbites to exert more influence. Word from Iceholm comes demanding to know what the hell has been happening.

The Baron keeps himself under wraps for now, he doesn't show himself much, for the dangers politically and among the serfs that his presence is causing. He wants to be out helping, but a compromise between Jericus and him stands that he has to wait till Inquisitor Sand sends word.

You've managed several communications off world back to Sand, but he's silent so far in replies. During the clean up you recover Sword's body, and the Luminous Reproach, the Holy Blade. You find Sword's body and armor torn to pieces, but around the final resting place of the Luminous Reproach there isn't a single zombie or foe, every warp spawned thing avoids that holy blade.

Just over a week has passed....
Parking us here, you can level up and RP the clean up. When I return Inquisitor Sand will arrive well ahead of schedule.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring