Capitulus Novem: The Rise of Saint Ulbrexis

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon May 01, 2017 5:29 pm

Jericus has taken the copilot's seat for the flight to Iceholm. It's been ages since he piloted a flighter, and he's hoping for a chance to take the stick for a while to brush up his skills. Still, even with that, he finds time to discuss matters with the others.

"The Baron will undoubtedly be our greatest resource," the adept observes. "He knows the planet and its people better than any of us. And he's beloved by the population. His voice will open doors that would remain steadfastly closed to newcomers like us. But he's only one man and can only do so much. We'll need to arrange things so that his actions have the greatest effect possible."

"I suspect that we'll want to try and push the matter both overtly and covertly," He adds. "We can do what we can to apply political pressure to the queen, making life difficult for her. But we'll almost certainly have to arrange for a coup of some sort. That will involve gathering an army of sorts and providing them with weapons. I suppose the Baron will be particularly helpful with the former task. But the latter may prove to be one of the more difficult problems facing us."

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4
User Class: Inquisitor

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Tue May 02, 2017 7:53 am

"A suggestion: the Royal Scourge forces rely on las-weaponry, primarily.

Las-weapons, unless Agent Haxtes can correct me, rely on power outlets, or sunlight, to provide reliable ammunition. If their power sources were to be sabotaged, or better yet, taken, in winter, the lack of natural sunlight, and ammunition, available could provide a distinct advantage to those with inferior armaments but superior manpower - we shall have more bodies than they have rounds to fire.

It would, of course, cause discomfort at the very least to those lacking clothing and similar to withstand such cold, but it will weed out the weakest of the Baron's support."

Lucius seems more than aware that this could cause indiscriminate suffering, but either doesn't care, or has found it to be a possibly acceptable loss.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed May 03, 2017 6:18 pm

Damien doesn't like the idea of purposefully sabotaging vital infrastructure, but does admit that it is a powerful tactic if used properly. "Also keep in mind that if it is spun correctly, it could also foment additional rebellion against the Queen. If she cannot keep the lights on, what sort of ruler is she? It would have to be handled carefully, lest the entire city be plunged into anarchy, from which we may never recover."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:25 pm

"A strike by the workers themselves, due to mistreatment, with armed backing, could prove effective, but may prove more difficult than a bomb. I suspect that bomb attacks, considering recent events, would prove unpopular with the population, though."

Lucius weighs the pros and cons, not of turning off the power, but of the ways and means of doing so.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sun May 07, 2017 4:50 pm

"I think we need to consider some of the following:
a) Our goals: Install Ulbrexis as leader instead of the queen. Secondary: Prevent too much loss of life.
b) What we need: Good propaganda for Ulbrexis.
c) What we need: Followers and support for Ulbrexis, among the lower classes, but also among the higher ones. Ulbrexis will be able to tell us more about the workings of the aristocracy here.
d) What we need: Some military force.
e) Method: Either get the queen to step down Or offer her a position in the new order. Else: kill her, when we have enough influence.
Opinions?" This is a rather long speech from Haxtes.

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:44 am

Lucius is always quick to criticise - he's not good at getting on well with people.

"The goals are wrong, Agent Haxtes.

Primary Goals: Ensure that Ulbrexis, or other potential leaders, will remain sympathetic to, and pliable by, the Inquisition and its goals.

Secondary goals: Ensure that said individual, or individuals, gains power."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon May 08, 2017 2:52 pm

"While it's true that we wish to keep the baron loyal to the Emperor," Jericus acknowledges. "That is a parallel goal to getting him into power. We need to focus on both at the same time. As for getting him into power, we would do well to listen to what he says about how the locals will react to him and how far he's likely to be able to push them. He knows this planet far better than the rest of us, and we do our cause a great injustice if we don't rely upon his superior local knowledge."

"First and foremost, it seems to me that we'll need to set up a command and control center. We'll need somewhere to organize recruitment and supply. We'll also need some competent people to work with. Concurrent with that, we'll want to start with some intelligence gathering. We need to know what the queen is up to, what resources she has at her disposal, and what resources we can potentially steal from her."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 08, 2017 5:03 pm

"Don't you worry about my loyalty." The Baron steps into the cargo area where you are debating. He was up front with the pilot giving him directions. "We are only an hour out. I'm going to have him land on the outskirts of Iceholm, among some previously sympathetic allies of mine. They have agreed to house us, for now, as long as we don't cause them any trouble. We can press into the main city from there. I've been away, so you'll need to do some recon and info gathering. Get in close to the queen, pose as whomever you need to. Kill off some lesser nobles, take over for them, whatever seems good to you. Word of my return in the Harrow is spreading, even to Iceholm. I'm going to focus my efforts on that for now, and let you handle the noblity for a while. My contacts may have more infor for us on the state of things when I arrive."

He sits down and straps in, "One piece of advice if you are trying to blend in. Never, ever, comment on how damn cold it is in Iceholm. That's a dead giveaway you aren't from around here."

The ship drops in altitude as it readies for its final approach.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon May 08, 2017 5:09 pm

"That's a good plan," Jericus agrees. "Getting us into the royal court where we can investigate. My only concern is that with a tech priest and a psyker, we may stand out. How common are such people in the royal court or among its visitors? I don't want to blow our cover as soon as we arrive."

bluntpencil2001
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluntpencil2001 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:19 pm

"Understood," says Lucius with something of a snarl, which could really mean anything coming from him. It's obvious that he respects the chain of command, though, as he stands upright, listening intently, before asking a question.

The question is asked in the Baron's direction, but is obviously intended for Jericus.

"May I ask how far I can go, arresting officers loyal to the Queen? Would you be opposed to making her appear opposed to the Lex Imperialis? I have prepared arrest warrants for several already, and the death warrants for the family of the executed Captain remain valid.

I do not wish to move on this without authorisation or intelligence."

It appears that Lucius wishes to target those linked to the Captain he executed, in an effort to push the Queen into doing something foolish, making her and her cohorts appear to be the true rebels, in turn making the Baron look like a loyalist of the Throne.