Capitulus Decum: The Haematite Cathedral

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Haematite Cathedral: Planetarium

Post by Grimbold » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 am

Haxtes analyses the fluid, but does not drink it. Finally, he calmly says: "I do not know, what this is. I am an expert on weapons systems." He reaches for the inferno pistol and checks ist workings.

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Haematite Cathedral: Planetarium

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:16 pm

Already holding the pistol Aesgir shows it to Haxtes, "It's a fine weapon, it should prove useful in the future."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Re: Capitulus Decum: The Haematite Cathedral

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:35 pm

"What next?" Renik asks the others.

"This contraption tells us nothing?" He shrugged, pointing at the model of the system.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:03 pm

Haxtes takes a moment and inspects the pistol in Aesgir's hands and discovers the same things about it.
Pistol has Fine, Accurate and Recharge qualities
The device is movable, it should be cranked into natural position, but it could also be manually moved around to position planets and stars in strange and unnatural ways. Damien, looks between book and astrolabe and thinks perhaps he might find meaning between the two.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:06 am

Damien keeps the book open in one hand, and starts fiddling with the astrolabe with the other. "Perhaps something will unveil itself if I start inputting some of these positions specified in the book. It is theoretically more of a record of astronomical observations, but it is possible their either some deeper insight will reveal itself, or the positions written herein could change something." The psyker goes about experimenting.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:35 pm

"Let us know how we can be of assistance."

Merica stands near one of the limbs of the astrolabe and gawks at it while she waits for instruction.

(Merica/party can help Damien move parts of the astrolabe to expedite the solution to this puzzle.)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Arms swing, planets are moved, moons are adjusted, stars are controlled. After half an hour Damien has done nothing a child with a toy couldn't have done. The book's contents aren't as helpful as expected. By chance, or fate, or luck, he's managed to arrange half of the planets into alignment. If someone was actually watching the stars from the vantage of the center planet it would be a rather interesting events, as it would be a strange eclipse that was taking place.

Something in that pattern suggests maybe he's on the right path actually...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:14 pm

Haxtes has examined the pistol and nods satisfied. "If you want it, you can take it. If no one wants it, I will take it."
Then he assists by pointing out some ideas.
Logic skill? Archaeotech skill? Tech use skill?

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 pm

Damien picks at his teeth, looking at the book, over to the model, and then back to the book. "Maybe my approach needs a bit of work. As we're fiddling with it, I'm not getting any feeling of insight. But the planets are going into some sort of eclipsing alignment, which is rather fascinating." He points out the phenomenon occurring within the astrolabe. "Astronomically speaking, alignment of planets isn't really a thing, and even if it was it wouldn't be particularly special. Gravity doesn't care about the 0.2% of mass within a solar system being lopsided for a day." He taps a foot, considering again. "But perhaps something could be arranged within the Immaterium. Ritualistic magicians love this sort of thing. Let us try to arrange the planets just so, and see if anything new can be found."
Seeing if I can arrange it to go Full Planetary Alignment!
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:10 am

Merica shakes her head at Haxtes' offer. "I trained in naught but lasers and the boltgun."
Knowledge (Ecclesiarchy and Philosophy) to aid Damien. I'm rolling for any religious or philosophical significance in the astrolabe, with the information provided by Damien, that could bring us a step closer to an insight from further manipulation, or discern the end purpose of said manipulations (like a gateway to the warp, lol :shock: ).

It is initially part of the cathedral, that might give us an idea for how the corrupted Hekates (or Koronath Hekate) might have repurposed it for their own ends.