Capitulus Decum: The Belly of the Beast

In the nightmare future of the 41st millennium, Mankind teeters upon the brink of extinction. The galaxy-spanning Imperium of Man is beset on all sides by ravening aliens, and threatened from within by malevolent creatures and heretic rebels. Only the strength of the Immortal Emperor of Terra stands between Humanity and its annihilation. Dedicated to His service are the countless warriors, agents and myriad servants of the Imperium.

Dark Heresy is a roleplaying game based upon the universe of Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000. The setting of Warhammer 40,000 is a dark, gothic future where the Imperium of Man is beset by dangers within and without. In Dark Heresy players take on the roles of Acolytes of the Inquisition, aiming to uncover and combat the enemies of mankind, be they aliens, heretics or mutants!

Run by the Grand Inquisitor Vardaen
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Let There Be Light

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:27 am

Merica smiles a little as the holy light burns the daemonic growth. Glorious. When Damien starts to flee, she grasps at him moments after he flees beyond her reach and continues running.

"Stay here and guard the core," she says, and trots off at a brisk pace to get her valued teammate, but keeping her gun handy - the rage mixed in among his distressed cries does not bode well, not to her mind.

When she reaches him, she asks, "I don't understand. You can't stand the light?"
I can burn a Fate Point for Holy Radiance if needed, but I'm almost out of points, and this looks like it may actually be an effect of the light on creatures with a connection to the Warp, not just daemonic entities.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Let There Be Light

Post by Grimbold » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:41 am

Haxtes waits for everyone to return, then suggests proceeding to the door that would not open near the "bridge". If he can, he takes the servitor with them.

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Let There Be Light

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:36 am

Damien stops when he regains control of his body, breathing hard and dripping sweat. "I ... I don't know. The pain of the voices screaming was overwhelming. It is difficult to describe to one that cannot feel the presence of the Warp all around them." He leans heavily against the hallway wall, until he is sure he is steady on his feet. "I will have to consider this. In the moment it was chaotic, but perhaps there is something to learn here."
So was it the burning away screams of the demons that freaked me out? Or is there something about the Genetorium that messed with me?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Hungry Xenomorph
Level 9
Level 9

Let There Be Light

Post by Hungry Xenomorph » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Aesgir looks at Damien as his body seemingly goes into some form of shock. Instinctively Aesgir raises his weapon and looks around for hidden enemies.

Grimbold

Let There Be Light

Post by Grimbold » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:40 pm

"Conjecture: You are ready to move again. Ergo: We move to the bridge." Haxtes says, then, if everyody agrees, walk in direction of the bridge.

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Let There Be Light

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:53 am

Merica nods. "I understand, I'm aware of the connection. At any rate, we've restored some power down here. Let's do as Haxtes suggests and avoid this area for now."

She turns and joins the group on the way to the Bridge with Damien in tow.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Bridge

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:10 pm

The Servitor, once its job is finished turns and head back to its storage closet. It doesn't follow other commands, and unless Haxtes wants to spend time dealing with its source code it isn't going to deviate from its programing.

So you leave it, and move on to the bridge. Now as you move into the halls and along the gantry you see lights are powered on. Gears that were not moving before are moving, the whole place is alive with machines doing something. Fluid is being pumped through tubing, sparks fly where a few old cables aren't attached but they have power to them now. The climate controls are coming on too, air is being pumped, heat is starting to warm the cold metal. You are very much within some great machine waking up.

You reach the previously sealed door and easily open it....

Slabs of glossy black data-medium, like standing stones, line the walls of this room. The room is cold, with minimal power used to operate the climate control system that pumps frigid air from vents in the ceiling, but little by little its warming up. A thin freezing mist still clings to the floor. Massive viewing windows dominate one end of the room. It’s possible that some sort of observation chamber lies beyond, but thick adamantium shutters block the view. Pict-screens and cogitator consoles dominate the remaining walls. At the centre of the room is a control chair. At first the occupant appears to be a tech-priest, ready for battle. The cold has, however, stifled the decaying process, this servant of the Omnissiah has been dead for quite some time.

The vid feeds are starting to come online little by little as the whole place is powering up. A few crates of supplies sit in a corner of the room.

40K-TheChair.jpg
40K-TheChair.jpg (126.99 KiB) Viewed 799 times
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

The Bridge

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:17 am

Obelisks of data storage lined the room. Light from the pict-screens and various consoles within illuminated our path. Windows to some observation area were shuttered. In the middle of the room was a tech-priest sat upon a chair, dead and decaying very slowly. The chair reminded me of a throne. I did not care for it.

The air in front of Merica fogs periodically as she breathes through her respirator. She looks askance at Haxtes, the group's know-it-all for all things Mechanicus. "I presume all this stored data can be accessed from there?" She points toward the chair.

Grimbold

The Bridge

Post by Grimbold » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:49 am

Haxtes stands there for some time, taking it all in. Then he slowly moves around looking at the controls and consoles. Then he turns to the chair, only now anwering Merica's question. "Conjecture: This is a control chair. Task: Find out what it controls. 101010101010101011010."
Tech use or other skill to find out what this is and what it controls. Then focus on the chair and examine the dead Magos.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Bridge - Alive!

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:40 pm

Haxtes moves to the center of the chamber and begins to look about. As he does so, each time he gazes at a vid screen it comes to life, one by one. It could be just that they are powering on in serial, but he gazes at one across the room and then THAT one powers on. Clearly where he looks the vid screens are turning on.

The screens show various feeds from around the complex. The shaft you came down, the genetorium, the gear housing, but others too. One lights up with images of the cathedral up above, the atrium, the chamber of worship with the secret door, then an outside view of the wings of the cathedral. A shot of the large canon on the dome, then others, of the ocean below the cliffs of the cathedral. Mercia leans in and notices bits of metal structure on the side of the cliff. Aesgir too can see structure extending down into the ocean under the cliffs under the cathedral. You quickly get the feeling that this place is ginormous, it must extend down from the cathedral for an unknown depth under the ocean surface, how far down you don't know, but clearly far deeper than you are able to explore at this point.

Haxtes looks at the corpse on the throne like chair, and it moves. Its head rolls to the right!!! Its dead eyes gazing at a nearby screen! On that screen you see recordings playing back of your arrival. You in the shaft, you at the bridge door, you battling the daemons in the genetorium, the power returning to the structure.

Then the vox system in the room screeches alive, a strange voice speaks over the feedback filled voice, "....armoury...." then the head of the corpse rolls to gaze over at a pile of cases in the corner of the room.

A light starts flashing on one of the display grids.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring