Durnalia Continued

For the game development and OOC threads.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Durnalia Continued

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:39 pm

This thread is for us to start talking about how to go about working on this project, and to generally just toss around ideas. I would like to leave some of the original threads in tact like they are, but lets start working on things as we can here.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Durnalia Continued

Post by Amaris » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:42 pm

Anything I can do to help?
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:40 pm

Hey all...

For a long time now I have wanted to finish Josh's Durnalia and have people playing in his setting. This isn't the most easy thing for me to think about because of the situation and the memories it brings up even just typing this post.

However I have had some ideas on how to make this world come alive and to do something different on the site. I wanted to run it past everyone, get some idea and opinions, but in general I think this is the way I want to go.

Stage 1: Finish the setting information. I'll clean up the OOC, work on the Wiki or just the forums and get alot of the stuff undone, finished. Also I think the timeline for it should be changed slightly to more a dynamic era in recent history. (I guess unless you read the theme you don't really care about this yet).

Stage 2: Either set this up as a systemless game, and all RP, or use something light like Risus, where the rules and such are fluid, easy, and available to everyone.

Then, the important part here, how the game is run. When I was in Winter Court for L5R the setting was run without a GM. Basically threads and subforums were locations in the world, and the players post to the threads, or start new threads for new locations. For example there would be a structure like this:

Durnalia --> Editia --> Merchant Quarter --> Various threads of people RPing in the merchant quarter.

This would be much like a MUSH but instead of rooms there are forums and sub forums for areas, and each thread can be its own place. We'd have 4 main Forums for the 4 main areas (Regions), but we'd start with only 2 active Regions, and have room to expand eventually. People would join their faction and have permission to their forums, but not the rival areas (perhaps, haven'e figured that part out yet.) A moderator would be assigned to each of the Regions to keep an eye on things (as well as oversight Moderators watching everything), keep RP flowing, and help people resolve issues they can't resolve themselves through RP. Combat and other things could all be done RP, just like a MUSH, but if someone needed to roll, they could join Chat, roll and there you have it.

Every so often, lets say every Month, the time of the game is advanced a week or something similar. So you could RP a few scenes, then time moves ahead, those old threads are locked as they are in past now, and new ones open up a bit further down the timeline. Moderators could post overall plot elements or events, and global events (9 Falling Stars, etc) would affect all Regions, etc.

Also every time the time advanaces XP is given out (if we are using such a system), and all active people get 1 or 2 points (for Risus for example) and perhaps certain events grant more.

I hope that explains my idea...please comment.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Shinling
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Shinling » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:40 am

sounds great to me!
"The Clock of Life is Wound But Once"
-Some Old Guy
-Shinling

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Var - Don't you think you should send this to the graveyard? No posts since 09.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:15 pm

No. This game won't ever go away. Palamon lives on through it even if we never finish it.