Help Create a Campaign Setting

The workshop forum for Eanwulf's new setting.
JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: Steampunk Setting: Europa "The Great War"

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:58 pm

So a sample character might go thus?

Hessian Count Gerhardt Von Zorn has spent years practicing the art and science of fencing, from the dueling societies of Heidelberg to the salons of the fae sword-dancers. As quick to swear loyalty to a friend as avenge a perceived insult, he uses various scientific means to bolster his abilities.

Swordsman 6
Chemist 2
Nobleman 2

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:06 pm

Sounds good, though starting characters can not have more than 4 ranks in any one cliche - representing that though they might be good as something, they are far from a master in it.

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Right, sorry. So more like

Swordsman 4
Chemist 3
Nobleman 3

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:55 pm

Yeah, I learned that if you put your primary cliche at 4 and then your secondary (think multi-class characters) at 3 then you can then flesh out with a cliche that is considered basic proficiency and then one that you are a novice in (think hobby skills, etc.)

This being said your guy could very well be

Swordsman 4
Chemist 3
Nobleman 2 (basic capabilities)
Tinkerer 1 (representing his side-skills dabbling with mechanics, etc.)

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:34 am

I need to start putting together some forum site information so we can begin our player recruitment drive sometime soon!

I have to agree with Trogdor that this will be a most welcome non-standard themed game for people to play in.

Don't get me wrong, I love fantasy games but do so miss the good old fashioned Victorian Steampunk genre just as much!

My next project is that of a high level D&D game where ogres and their coutnerparts comprise the Aztec nation and must migrate to their former and now ruined civilization - the land of the Toltecs.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:53 am

Yea, the 4-3-2-1 buy is a pretty standard one for Risus. It makes for a nice range of abilities.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:13 pm

I haven't forgotten this thread and have been working diligently in order to get some information to start our own gaming thread. The first step of which wil be to recruit MORE players!

I'll get back to you two as soon as possible!

JazyJ
Level 0
Level 0

Post by JazyJ » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:38 am

Hey quick idea out there about the playable races, wouldn't it make sense for some of the more human like races to be able to be spies for the side the player characters are on. An example of this would be like from the game commandos, where you have the elite team of people, and one of them is a spy and he is excellent at dealing with enemy troops and can sow dissent and confusion into enemy ranks because he can masquerade as an enemy officier. I have to look at the Rius system before i can say any more, but it looks like you are doing some world war type of stuff and spies and intrigue is definatly something to add to the mix.

Just a quick story that doesn't have to be done in this game, but i ran a dnd game a year ago where i brought in one of my best friends as a "new player" and really the point of him the whole time was to gain friendship and everything like that with the other players and then turn around and become the central villian. It really surprised my players and ended being a good show down at the end! <-- the point of that is, is that i had a lot of fun having a spy as a gm, it might feel great for the pcs to have one for a change.
We must protect our precious bodily fluids.