Brennor Party 2008: Xcrawl Team Brennor!

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Who was that masked 4 armed bug anywho?

Post by pygmaelion » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:50 am

All hail Bitom, who finally aligned a boot with my posterior to get me to post here.

I'm unopposed to playing "Swank da Troll" in Xcrawl. If he fits as a half-ogre, then so be it. I have access to the 3.5 core books, and this gives me an excuse to burn up some local store cred to get the XCrawl book. I've only used the D&D books to play D&D, so my ability to "stat outside the box) doesn't get stretched in this system. I use GURPS for that kind of thing.

I know spank-all about the half ogre class, but if there's any other sort of d20 modern meatbrick race, I'd happily review it.

If I am going to play Swank, I'll have to make him a darn bit brighter than he was in S-Run, and a little older/wiser. By this point he's probably landed a few bit parts as an extra in the Hungarian remake of "Neal the Orc Barbarian (his fave show), and has enough M.I.S.B. Neal Offical Merch to kit him up proper for an X-Crawl run.

I'll do my best to actually show up more often and, y'know, post.

BTW, Bitom... gave any thought to having an 8 legged arachno-horse named "Thri-gger"?

Pun Shields UP!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Who was that masked 4 armed bug anywho?

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:49 pm

Hey Pyg, good to see you managed a post here.

I'll check out the races book to see which would work best for you, there might be a PC Troll class even, or full Ogre, just not sure off the top of my head.

Actually 2 mins of looking and there is the Ogre: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ogre.htm

At the bottom of the entry it has the stats for making one as a PC. It has +2 LA and you have to take 4 Levels of 'giant'. So in the game you'd have 6 levels of a class (barbarian or fighter or something) and 4 levels of 'giant' and +2 level adjustment so those are kinda lost. But that certainly makes you the biggest bruiser out there.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Who was that masked 4 armed bug anywho?

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Just found Troll, doesn't work. It has +5 LA and 6 Levels of giant, so you'd only have 1 level of a PC class and that's just pointless.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Variations on a theme.

Post by pygmaelion » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:06 pm

Here's a question... How far off the rails are we allowed to go?

It occurs to me that while playing Swank might be tactically pretty good... having a masterblaster/Cat Sith kind of guy might be better.

Are all the rules in that open source d20 thing open?

Concept: smallish mechanic operating some form of power suit. I'm not looking for iron man, but something to make him a bit taller, a bit clonkier, and a bit useful. I'm looking at the "construct" race, and wondering how this all plays out. Unfairly because technically it's 2 characters? Bad tactics because i'm a squishbag outside of the suit? Clank the troll, perhaps.

If i'm way out on a limb here, let me know.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Variations on a theme.

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:50 pm

The setting is more of a modern time meets D&D. So a mix of magical and mechanical, but something futuristic doesn't really work.

I think probably better off staying away from Iron Man/Sith inspired options.

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Revision of the Sith

Post by pygmaelion » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:33 pm

I was more thinking of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cait_Sith_ ... #Cait_Sith

instead of tattoed parapalegic Jedi killers... but point well taken.

If I can work up a couple of possibilities tonight, would this be an appropriate spot to post 'em? I've never played X-crawl, but I gather that cinematic spectacularity is where it's at. Should everyone in the group be taking some kind of perform skill just to boost ratings? or should we go for the "we eat the competition for breakfast, and poo thunder" kind of hard-nuts tactica min-maxing that wins matches? Are there bonus for real life performances and "making the GM pee himself laughing"? Will there be cookies?

All these questions and many more.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Revision of the Sith

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:00 am

THere is a skill Preform (xCrawl) that i used to mugg for the camera nd grandstand for the crowd, it is important for bonus fame and such, but you want to make sure your guy can crap thunder as well.

Bonus points for really good RP are given out in form od Mojo Points, which can be used for team bonuses etc.

We'll see on the peeing and of course there are cookies!

post all ideas here.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:02 am

Here's an example of a half-ogre fig...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=004
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:04 am

As for futuristic, the closest thing if the Tech-Mage from the XCrawl core book. They fuse technology and magic, actually being able to disassemble magic and recontruct it into different spells!
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:53 am

What about Urban Arcana?

Viable source material? or should I be running that past the MC's as well?

I'm thinking that the Bugbear and (already suggested) Half Ogre might be the ways to go.