BrenCrawl 2010 - L5R - Swarm of Spiders (Sunday)

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

BrenCrawl 2010 - L5R - Swarm of Spiders (Sunday)

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:01 pm

Image Konichi Wa

Our Lord Daigtosu has called a meeting of all his senior agents of the Spider Clan. That includes you young samruai. A tournament is to be held in the honor of your Dark Lord to determine the greatest among us. While you are ordere to attend, do not expect to win, for here are greater samurai in Spider Clan than you. Bah! Such pathetic men and woman... oh what is that? You think you can win? Well perhaps you aren't so pathetic after all, deluded yes, but worthy of a test? Good. Come then and fight in the honor of Fu Leng!

- Hongo, Monk of the Temple of Venom

This year at BrenCon 2010 we'll be holding a small card event, run by myself on Sunday. We'll have various promo cards for participants and the winner, including Imperial Gift 3 packs (we should have them in time), and various other promos.

Anyone playing will also be able to get their hands on a speically made item this year, but I don't want to give away the clan secrets and tell you what it is yet.

The event style is up for debat still. If you are interested in playing please comment here so we can sort out the last details and try and set things up properly.

Event Types (what would you like to play?)

1 Celestial Legal Standard - Bring your CE Legal decks and we'll play a bracket style set of games.

2 Celestial Legal Boost Draft - We have CE Legal Draft Packs, and can get a box of the most recent expansion booster pack and run a booster draft event! (This event would cost money, but you'd walk away with your share of the dafted cards.)

3 Celestial Legal Free For All - A mass multiplayer event of CE Legal decks that your bring with you. One large multiplayer game, winner takes all.

4 The BigDeck Legacy - I'll post more on this, but its a Legacy/Open event where you make decks with 100/100 cards of all sets (Highlander style). We'd run this as a normal bracketted event but with this wacky deck type.
BigDeck is a Legend of the Five Rings variant created to encourage casual gameplay. It is a way to play L5R without the stress of Kotei playtesting or the brokeness that can accompany Legacy games. In addition to the guidelines below, feel free to also visit our forum for more information and discussions on BigDeck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brief History:
BigDeck was based on another casual format created by local Philadelphia area players for Magic: the Gathering. The Magic version required 200 cards per deck and had stricter deck construction guidelines. Magic BigDeck died out after a short period of time (the strict deck construction guidelines led to everyone building almost the exact same deck), but a few of us L5R players decided to try to modify the format for L5R. Unfortunately, as we were getting started with this new format, our L5R group slowly fell apart (one player moved to the west coast, others started to quit the game for various reasons).

Now, after finding a new family of L5R players, I have been attempting to revitalize this idea. The positive response and interest I received was followed by the creation of this website and my taking a more active role in establishing the format. I'm uncomfortable calling BigDeck "my format" (the original concept was not just my idea AND perhaps there are similiar formats out there), but I'm looking to carry it and spread the word as much as I can. Hopefully in the end, this will be another way for you to enjoy the game we all love.

- June 1, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deck Construction Guidelines:
There are only 3 basic rules for deck construction in BigDeck:

Both the Dynasty and Fate decks must be 100 cards each. (It's called BigDeck for a reason.)

This is a "highlander" format, so only 1 copy per card is allowed.

No proxies are allowed. (This is only a casual format, so play with what you got.)
Rules for Playing:
Rules for playing are the same as those established by AEG for Celestial Edition as well as the supplemental rules established by The Jade Hand for older cards and older card types.

In addition, the following rules will also apply:

The Legacy trait on Holdings from the Samurai Arc will still function as it did during that arc. Please visit this topic in our forums for further explanation and discussion.
Card Legality:
BigDeck is an open format, so all cards printed from Imperial Edition to present are allowed. All cards are legal as soon as they are released. However, BigDeck will also follow it's own banned list for deckbuilding purposes. As of June 15th, 2010, the following cards are banned in BigDeck:

A Favor Returned
Kyuden Hitomi (added 06-15-10)
Nanashi Mura (added 06-04-10)
The High House Of Light (added 06-04-10)
Feel free to visit the BigDeck Rules section of our forums for explanations on individual card bannings.

That pretty much covers it. I hope you will try it out and have fun with it.
I guarantee no two games will ever be the same...

B A N Z A I !

LINK HERE: http://shirobigdeck.com/
5 Sealed Deck - Either run sealed deck from a recent expansion or perhaps CE. (This event would also cost money but you'd walk away with your deck.)

6 Something Else - Have a good idea? Share it.

Any of the events that require us to buy cards will be done by me ahead of time and payment will be based on the number of people, the shares of cards you get, etc, but you can count on it to be totally fair.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Re: BrenCrawl 2010 - L5R - Swarm of Spiders (Sunday)

Post by pygmaelion » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:45 pm

I'd be interested in a few hands of cards, but my L5r Fu is weak. I know I'm going to suck out loud at a tournament, so a full on event would be wasteful for me... That being said, I wouldn't mind scooping up a fresh starter deck and a couple packs, and just playing.

So, that sounds like I'm sort of voting for Sealed Deck. I don't expect to win, but I do expect to play...

So, to conclude:
Want to play casual L5r for a few rounds
Willing to buy a clan starter at Jupiter*
Gonna get owned like a Tanuki Tea Bagging a Bear trap.

* I really think that buying a clan starter at the store that's hosting the place is a smart thing to do.
Rather than have V put out money of his own pockets to have cards on hand.
This might require some "Please Mister Jupiter Games Man, Order some L5R"... but

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:27 pm

I'm up for the Seal Deck too, and agree getting them to buy a box of cards and selling them to us is a good move. I'll see what I can do. Not sure what set, the new one won't be out in time I don't think, but we could try a Celestial 15 Pack, but that's 9 starter decks. We'd also want some boosters to go along.

I'll see what they say I guess.

If they buy a box of starters and boosters and we get some folks to buy, that woudl be good.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:02 am

My funds are extremely limited this year (I haven't worked all summer but the bills keep coming anyway). I will be playing but not the sealed deck games, simply cannot afford it...

Now on a good note. Would like to suggest some 20/20 speed deck play.
The games move faster and tend to have very focused decks.

I would also like to have a clan multiplayer tourney. Everyone plays a different clan to find out who's superior. Though we know its the phoenix, hands down. This could also be done in a 20/20 format...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:13 am

I think probably we should just shoot for some casual play, as getting the right decks and spending the cash is going to be hard for a few folks it sounds like. (Me included).

I think what we should do is the Big Deck format, its totally open deck constuction basically everything ever printd is legal. One of each, 100 cards in each deck.

We could try a 20/20 but never heard of that style, espcially with Celestial. Celestial games move pretty fast already.

I would suggest the following:

Bring a Big Deck 100/100
Bring a Celestial Deck 40/40
Bring an Open/Legacy Deck 40/40

We can sort out what people have and play accordingly. I've love to try this Big Deck style, and would be totally up for multiplayer stuff using Open/Legacy.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Will do my best to have them ready. :twisted:
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:05 pm

Do you want to do a 30/30 deck MV? Open Legacy, instead of 40/40?

Also I have about 6 decks already built for Celestial and people are more than welcome to play them.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:24 pm

Maybe I'll actually have my Spider deck built by then... hopefully.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:59 am

Bren, why don't we plan a deck building night at my place? Brign your cards and we can put together BigDecks, your Spider Deck and such.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:21 am

Sounds like a plan to me! :D
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+