BrenCrawl 2010 - L5R - Swarm of Spiders (Sunday)

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: BrenCrawl 2010 - L5R - Swarm of Spiders (Sunday)

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:03 am

I really want to try this BigDeck thing, sounds like it could be really stupid/fun, with all the different backs possible I should try and get enough decksleaves for mine, but I don't know if I can manage it.

Heck Pyg you still have cards, with just about every single card legal you totally could make a deck.

Key card, any card that is "Legacy" since that would mean starting with Boarder Keep and the Legacy card, and Bamboo Harvesters if you didn't go first! The all mighty koku can really save you I think.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:54 am

I thought this might help. Found it on ShiroBigDeck.com
Just thought I'd share how I got started building my deck as far as figuring out numbers of card types to use. I basically used my current CE legal deck and my old SE legal deck as references and just went by percentages.

For my dynasty deck, I used the numbers in my CE deck. I run 21 personalities, which is 53% of the deck (21/40). This translates to 53 personalities in a 100-card deck. 16 holdings comes to 40%, or 40 holdings. This leaves me with 7 slots to use for regions, events, and celestial cards.

For my fate deck, I used my old SE deck since it was more heavy on attachments than my CE Naked Lion deck. I knew I wanted to run attachments, mainly followers, in my BigDeck. I had 10 attachments in the deck, so this became 25%, or 25 attachments. The rest of the deck was strategy cards and rings.

Once again, I used this method to help me build the initial deck. Once you play it a few times, you'll get a better feel of how the deck runs and then you can fudge with the numbers as needed. If you run alot of boxables, then you could cut back on holdings. If you run alot of expensive personalities or alot of attachments, then you might want to keep your holdings at or above 40. If your deck is going to be more reliant on regions or events, then I would base my numbers on a 40-card deck with a similiar strategy and go from there.

One of the hardest part (if not the hardest) of BigDeck is trying to come up with an initial build. Knowing how many cards of each card type you should be running should go a long way to helping you get started.
http://www.shirobigdeck.com/forum/viewt ... p?f=5&t=30

Some chatter afterwards suggests perhaps cutting the holdings down to 30ish depending on the cost of your people and attachments.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:04 am

The following cards are banned in BigDeck:

A Favor Returned
Kyuden Hitomi (added 06-15-10)
Nanashi Mura (added 06-04-10)
The High House Of Light (added 06-04-10)

Decisions to make changes to the banned list will be made on a bi-annual schedule (week of June 30th, week of December 17th). However, emergency action may be taken on any card at any point if enough evidence supports the need for such an action to be taken.

Whenever a card is banned, both the main site and this post will be updated.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Individual Card Explanations:

A Favor Returned (holding) - To allow the player going second to start the game with this and Bamboo Harvesters is too much of an advantage. It's also better to ban a card than to make a rule to change the functionality of a single card.

Kyuden Hitomi (stronghold) - Although this may be slower than The High House Of Light, the advantage of seeing any five fate cards consistently is too much of an advantage in a format that is supposed to be completely random.

Nanashi Mura (stronghold) - This allows you to start the game at 15 honor, but you would never be able to buy any personalities for cheap. I believe the high honor start would be too much of a head start though.

The High House Of Light (stronghold) - It has long been the culprit for alot of combo shenanigans in Legacy and the banhammer finally caught up with it. It provides the same advantage as Kyuden Hitomi, but it is possible to access those five cards sooner with HHoL.

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:31 am

As a brief chime in:
Yes, I have cards, but whereas MV is screwed for cash, I'm screwed for time. I'll see what I can do, and in the worse case, my L5R dosage for BC2010 might end up being seeing if I can teach some noobs the basics (such as: The people I'm bringing along). With some serious luck, I'll get a couple short shift decks together and get my ass beat in an honor race (Lions get stuck wearing khaki, but Cranes are delicious with a little honey mustard).

I make no promises on my participation in constructed events. This is not a big "whaaaaambulance" moment, just a "from where i'm standing" kind of thing.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:01 am

I can use a noob basic course, too. I haven't played a single game since BrenCon 2009...
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:23 am

I'm bringing with me 3 BigDecks, and like 7 Celestial Legal decks, PLUS the Imperial Gift 2 decks to give away. There will be plenty of decks for folks to play with.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:36 am

After hunting through the box of goodies, I can't seem to find too many Imperial Gift 2 stuff. (I said 3 in the above post but meant 2, 3 isn't out yet).

I have like 6 packs of the Imperial Gift 1 stuff, and only 1.5 sets for the other (2 Glory packs and 1 Honor pack. I know the other honor pack is around here but I can't find it.) You can no longer get the IG2 packs for free from AEG store don't see them up there any more. I"ll have to look some more, I'm rather tweaked about this because I know we had some last time we were at Jupiter, opened them for someone, but he didn't keep them so I had them back.

Anyhow, I'll bring what I have.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:13 pm

So I've started chatting with the guys on ShiroBigDeck.com you can follow the chat about this style here:

http://shirobigdeck.com/forum/viewtopic ... c1029#p193

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: So, you want to be a Crawler

Post by jigglypuff69 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 pm

V, I'll be bringing a HUGE amount of cards for people to use/build/keep for the L5R tourney. I have to thin out my gaming stuff, so it's passed on to whoever can use it. I'll separate the cards into corresponding groups for easy looking through type activities. Hope this helps, bro.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: So, you want to be a Crawler

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Sure! More cards are always good. I'll be able to help people sort it out and add the extras to the Ikoma Libararies for future give away.