2012: Stuff to bring - craft beer

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: 2012: Stuff to bring - craft beer

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:42 pm

If you guys turn this into a beer fest and I don't go, that would make me sad. All I do is drink craft beer out here. It is kinda my thing. Vermont might have more craft beer per capita, but what is that, like 2 breweries for you guys? ;)
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:47 pm

TetNak wrote:If you guys turn this into a beer fest and I don't go, that would make me sad. All I do is drink craft beer out here. It is kinda my thing. Vermont might have more craft beer per capita, but what is that, like 2 breweries for you guys? ;)
I think we're up to around 26 or 27 breweries now.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:50 pm

Nice. I would like that state then.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:58 pm

And everyone drinks craft beer here too. It's a real big deal (Vermonters are really into local stuff and everyone drinks/eats local stuff here). I'm currently doing the Vermont Brewery Challenge to visit all breweries in the state, I've visited 9 of 24 (and tasted about 15 of 24 from buying from store/restaurant/bar). Note, there's been 3 new breweries added since I started, so the list is now up to 27.

I also run a VT craft beer\brewery blog\resource web site on the side that I just started up a few weeks ago :)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:00 pm

Nice. Colorado is similar. Lots of people drink craft beer, but we also have lots of military that think Coors is awesome ...

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 pm

TetNak wrote:Nice. Colorado is similar. Lots of people drink craft beer, but we also have lots of military that think Coors is awesome ...
I visited the USAF Academy a few times in CS for work. We mostly drank Fat Tire there (a long time ago, like 13 yrs ago). Now, Fat Tire is pretty well known and I see it everywhere.

When I was in USMC, I used to think Coors was awesome too... It took a few years before a real beer drinker introduced me to real beer. On base, I could drink at 18, but all they served was the cheap stuff and when you're in the military, you don't really have the extra $ to spend on craft beer. You're mostly looking for quantity > quality, it's not until you get a bit older/wiser than you realize that quality > quantity.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:14 pm

Cheap beer has its place, I guess. BBQs, etc.

Fat Tire was the first beer I really liked when I moved out here. New Belgium is the largest craft brewery in Colorado as far as distribution goes. These days I don't really care for it all that much. My favorite is Bristol and Trinity. Bristol is a local Colorado Springs brewery that have been around for awhile. Trinity is a tiny brewery right down the street from my work (currently evacuated bc of the fire) that is good, but have very limited distribution (only other bars in town, and not many at that).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:26 pm

Hey Coors is a CO craft bear! Check out the brewery! :)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:31 pm

Having a brewery does not mean it is a craft beer. Coors is pisswater.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:30 pm

I've been saving a few bottles from different local brewers over the last month, so I'm hoping to bring a wide selection of different brewers, styles, and flavors. I also picked up a box of hard cider that I'll need to sample first :)

If you're there TetNak, then I'll try harder to find some Alchemist's Heady Topper and Lawson's Double Sunshine to bring with me. Otherwise, I'll just drink it myself...

Bottles currently in box to bring: (just a few of each, so far, prefer to have a wider variety than a lot of same)
* Magic Hat - Blind Faith IPA
* Rock Art - American Red Ale
* Rock Art - IPA
* Rock Art - Ridge Runner Ale
* Rock Art - Whitetail Ale
* Wolaver's Organics - Wildflower Wheat Ale

* Woodchuck's - Amber Cider
* Woodchuck's - Granny Smith Cider
* Woodchuck's - 802
* Woodchuck's - Cider makers choice

If there's enough interest in craft beer, then I can also pick up a growler or two to bring down (probably from Fiddlehead since they make a nice IPA and its on the way). And maybe a variety pack of Long Trail and a few assorted singles from lesser known brewers. If there's any requests just let me know.