Bren Con 2013 - Beer, Cider, Brew Thread

This is for all topics related to the parties for the site.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Bren Con 2013 - Beer, Cider, Brew Thread

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Yup, that won't work.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Gabrian wrote:Definitely not on the carpooling. I'm in CT, so I would have to head North big time, then west big time. Probably would double my travel time. I appreciate that Shurijo, I'll be in contact! Also, I'll have to grab some CT brews if I end up being able to make it. I know we're not as well known down here for our beer, but is there anything anyone knows of they might like? Or maybe some Onyx Moonshine, since it's made within walking distance of my home.
I wouldn't mind trying New England Imperial Stout Trooper, plus it's theme/game/BrenCon related :)

We just need to get some Ommegang Game of Thrones and I've been trying to find Vulcan Ale, but I think that's still in Canada and hasn't made it down here yet (hopefully, if we travel up to Montreal I can find a bottle or two).

Personally, the New England Gandhi-Bot Double IPA sounds great to me, since I'm an IPA guy :)

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:16 am

Just brewed the Grey Company's Xen'drik Pale Ale last night and put it into fermenter. Will be ready for drinking by the time Brencon arrives.

It'll be a golden, low ABV (around 5.5%), sessionable/Pale Ale. Hoppy, but not too bitter, so it's accessible for those who aren't hopheads, and lower ABV/OG for the summer heat/humidity which will be in Binghampton\Apalachin. Brewed using Valenar grains, Talenta Plains wheat, hops from Eldeen Reaches, Breland, and Shadow Marches, and wild yeast native to Xen'drik.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:20 am

That's an incredibly low ABV for a Pale Ale. Why is that?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:34 am

I have it on good authority that MV will be making his signature drink Blood of the Border Legion. A spiced cordial with heavy notes of cinnamon and paint thinner. He has decided to tone it down from it's usual 160 proof down to a paltry 80 proof so that no one gets too fragged.
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:34 am

Pale Ales normally go 4.5 – 6.2% ABV, so that's pretty close to normal/middle for Pale Ales. IPAs are a tad higher. I thought a Pale Ale would be easier for non hopheads to enjoy, although this should be considered a very hoppy Pale Ale (basically the same amount of hops as a IPA more on forward than backend, so less bitter/IBU than an IPA).

Pale Ale style guidelines: http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style10.php#1a

Technically, it would qualify for an upper end Pale Ale or a lower IPA. Somewhere in between. It's in green/range for IPA and upper range for Pale Ale.

Plus it's been very humid/hot here, so I thought something closer to a sessionable ale (technically less than 5.5%) would be best for the heat/humidity daytime and allow more enjoyment without the alcohol weight and without impairing social/logical/dice rolling behavior. It's a working man's beer. At just over 6%, it should have enough to be highly drinkable without effecting too much behavior :)

I'll still bring some higher ABV DIPAs for you TetNak :)

Actually, here's the estimated stats:
Est ABV 6.3% (exceeds Pale Ale standards, in normal range for IPA)
44 IBU (within range of 30-45 IBU for Pale Ale and 40-70 IBU for IPAs)
.75 IBU/SG (Bitterness Ratio) so close to Lagunitas IPA bitterness

Sorry for saying 5.5%, Mean to say around 6ish. Just got back from local brewfest where I scored double tickets. Feeling a bit tipsy...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:51 am

I'll be putting some of my classic beer glassware to the raffle. You know to drink all this good stuff from
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:58 am

Oh - I'm not complaining, just curious. Most IPAs I've seen around here run in the 8% range. I thought Pale Ales were on the lower side of that.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Imperial IPAs (aka Double IPA) are between 7.5-10%. Normal IPAs are generally between 5.5 and 7.5%. Generally speaking. There's a bunch of overlap between Pale Ales/IPAs and IPAs/IIPAs. I generally use the IBU and ABV as guidelines for what to classify them.

Anyways, I'll be bringing some Heady Topper ("world's best beer") DIPA, some general craft beer, and some cider.

I'll also sample the Xen'drik Pale Ale before bringing it to make sure it's drinkable :) I'm still just a novice brewer and I doubled my usual batch size this time and realized I needed bigger equipment.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:51 pm

For cider fans, I'll be stopping by our local cidery and picking up a couple growlers (maybe just mini-growlers, 32oz). Do any of these sound interesting? I grab a couple 32oz so everyone can sample some different/new ciders.

http://www.citizencider.com/2013/02/10/ ... he-people/

Wife and I went tasting there this weekend and we really liked the Brose and AmeriCran. If anyone wants a mini or full growler for themselves, just let me know. It's $5+3 for 32oz and $9+3 for 64oz (the $3 is deposit).

I'll also buy a Woodchuck variety pack or whatever is limited/seasonal.