Game rules

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Game rules

Post by od » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

The game begins in phase 1, night time and then proceeds to Phase 2. From then on the game alternates between phases 1 and 2 until one of the two sides wins.

Phase 1: Night time
During the night the village goes to sleep.

If there is a sage, they select a village member and are told if that person is a werewolf.

If there is a bodyguard they select a a village member to protect. (NOTE: this event does not happen the first night).

Werewolves select an individual they will eat. (NOTE: this event does not happen the first night).

Phase 2: Day time
It is announced who was eaten.

All members of the village discuss who might be a werewolf and may nominate a fellow village member to be hung. Each village member only has one nomination to spend each day, so nominations should be done with caution. If at any point all nominations have run their course the village goes to sleep.

Once a nomination is made discussion and nominations may continue until another village member seconds one of the nominations. When that happens all discussion ceases and the trial begins.

In a trail only the accused may speak, and they are given an opportunity to plead why they should not be hung. Once that is done all other village members vote upon the persons guilt. If a majority of the village decides the accused is guilty they will hang and the village will go to sleep.

If the accused is found innocent then discussion begins a new.

Anytime a village member dies (eaten or hung) their role is announced to the remainder of the game. Until the game concludes they must remain silent as the grave.
Last edited by od on Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Roles

Post by od » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 pm

Villager
There is nothing special about a villager except that they know they are not a werewolf.

Win: Villagers win if they successfully hang all the werewolves.

Werewolf
Werewolves are the evil of the game. They run as a pack so every werewolf knows whom every other werewolf in the game is. Each night the werewolves decide as a group one member of the village to eat.

Win: Werewolves win if there are ever more or equal werewolves as compared to villagers.

Sage
A sage can use powerful magic to determine the evil in men's hearts. Each night the sage may select one member of the village and be told by the gm whether that person is a werewolf or not. The sage is considered a villager when determining if the werewolves have won.

Win: The sage wins if the villagers win.

Bodyguard
A bodyguard helps defend the village against the menace of the wolves. Each night the bodyguard may select one member of the village (including themselves) to protect. If the werewolves attempt to eat that village member, they will fail.The bodyguard is considered a villager when determining if the werewolves have won.

Win: The bodyguard wins if the villagers win.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Special PbP rules

Post by od » Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:06 pm

Private talk
PMs, chat, and other forms of private communication may be used during the course of the game. However, this communication cannot be made with a dead player, during a trial, or during the night.

Inactivity
Players should expect to take action within the game at least every other day. If a player cannot then the following will occur.

During a trial - a member of the villager team: Will vote the same as another randomly chosen villager team mate.

During trial - a member of the werewolf team: Will vote the same as another randomly chosen werewolf team mate. If there is only one werewolf, they will vote Yea by default.

During nominations - The player will not use their nomination and night will come.

During the night - Werewolf - will automatically agree to whatever the other werewolfs select. If they are the only werewolf they will eat a random village member.

During the night - Sage - will randomly select a village member they have not already scanned.

During the night - Bodyguard - will protect themselves.

Game speed
No day phase will take more than a week. If in the discussion portion at the end of a weeks time the phase will become night. If in the trial portion the phase will become night once the trial is resolved.

No night phase shall last more than 2 days. (The above inactivity rules ensure this).

No trial shall last mroe than 2 days. (The above inactivity rules ensure this).

Declaring nighttime actions
Night time actions should be sent to the GM when the night phase begins. The first eat declaration sent by any werewolf will be observed, so werewolves should talk amongst themselves before contacting the gm.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Special PbP rules

Post by Bitom » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:35 pm

in retrospect and for the record: I think the website where we found that 10 players should have 3 werewolves was wrong. They were going based on simple math (1/3) should be werewolves, which works well in the large games that they clearly have, but I think the villiagars should be able to screw up more than twice.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:06 pm

Its the same issue was had with 2 and 8 earlier...the villagers only have two shots...its very hard.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 am

I have an idea for a new kind of special villager: The Elder.

This person doesn't have any special abilities but they're told at the start of the game the identity of one random non-werewolf. They're not told if this person is the sage or bodyguard though. Of course the random person isn't told anything about who the Elder is.

The idea is that the elder can make slightly more informed votes because they can trust that person. Not as important as the sage or bodyguard but a useful piece of knowledge, and a way of making the game easier for villagers if that's what you want.

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:11 pm

Question:

Has anyone played this Live? is it a fun party game?
What about people that are not into role playing? Can it be played just as an elimination game?

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:16 pm

Its very fun live, generally I play it with no RP just designations as "werewolves, sage, etc. for roles."

I've only played it with RPers and a bunch of board game geeks...I dunno what sort of mainstream appeal it would have.

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:05 am

For werewolf on this site I generally just roleplay for entertainment value of a funny context than to create a deep character.

So while I called myself McDeady and did some roleplay about being in the research base what I said was mostly either a joke, or just straightforward gameplay talk dressed up. I didn't bother to roleplay fear per se and I never put my own survival over the victory of my side, since my goal is to win.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:30 am

Yeah, I have never seen this game have ANY RP component except here. Some of the nominations and defenses in the most recent game have been terrifying to me, because they've involved the RP more than the game itself.

I do think the play of this game on Brens would benefit from a round or two without a sage, as people don't seem to be realizing that the game is playable without the sage telling you what to do.

The 'original' and most basic version of the game is just werewolves and villagers.