A rules error onmy part

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

A rules error onmy part

Post by od » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:20 pm

Its come to my attention that I made an error int he rules of the game when I originally posted them.

The error is this: Currently whenever anyone dies we have revealed thier role to the village.

The correct rule is, "Anyone killed during the day reveals what they are to the village. Those eaten by werewolves at night do not reveal."

Admittedly with the small game size, if we start following this rule we need to decrease the number of werewolves.

Also, i'm going to delete the comment on the rule thread later...I want to keep tht thread as a quick and clear rules guide.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: A rules error onmy part

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:03 pm

Rule 'error' or not, I think in this situation, I like finding out who the dead people are, but I'm up for trying it differently.

Since you can't see a persons face, or watch them ly, its so different than being RL with them, a little something more is fine with me.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:18 pm

It simplifies the game, and takes away some of the more interesting possibilities. It is impossible for a werewolf to pretend they are sage for instance...because if the sage is later eaten they are known to be a liar.

Also, if the a sage announces themselves and is not believed, then eaten by werewolves...then the sage is confirmed.

As I say, it makes things harder for the villagers...considering the current record...might not matter. But this game is played by many people at many events...it might be worthwhile playing it properly just so folks aren't confused if they play it somewhere else.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Actually, from a web search there are about 5000 permutations of this, so 'playing it propperly' isn't really possible.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Deadman
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Deadman » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:39 pm

It's true that revealing what role those killed by the werewolves played limits wolf options. It also lets the wolves rest easy, knowing they killed the sage. The "official" way nobody ever knows whether the sage was killed or not.

If we get rid of that we definitely need to add more villager roles though since knowing what the sage said before wolves killed them is a major tactical advantage for the villagers.

od
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by od » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44 pm

True that is Var, let me say the most common ways I've seen it played.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:58 pm

As for rule changes, I'm against removing PMs and Chat, but for trying the 'don't tell the role of the person that gets killed by the WWs to anyone -- including the WWs'