ATC's System

The old version of Alien Terror Control.
Shinling
Level 12
Level 12

ATC's System

Post by Shinling » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:03 am

Hi guys,
Heres what I was thinking for the system to be implamented at a later date. For starters.. Stats.. no more numbers, which is what I was I wanted to start. The modifiers will still be used, just words and not numbers now.

Stats for ATC:

Level Based and not number based:

Stat Levels and Skill Check Chart:
Levels listed in parentheses are only used during Skill Checks or the like.
Level:Modifier:
(Impossible) -20
(Near Impossible) -12
Horrible-8
Feeble-4
Poor-2
Typical+0
Good+2
Excellent+4
Remarkable+8
Incredible+12
Amazing+16
Human's stats all start at the Typical Level (+0). Each stat can be increased by spending 'œBuild Points' but cannot exceed Excellent to start. Each new Human Char receives 12 Build Points for this. You much by EACH Level of the stat. So if you have a Typical Stat and want an Excellent, you must buy Good then Excellent.

Build Point Cost To Increase Stats or Skills:
Level:Cost for Next Level:
Horrible2
Feeble1
Poor2
Typical2
Good3
Excellent4
Remarkable5
Incredible6
Amazing-

Per the example above, Starting at Typical level, moving to the Good level costs 2 points. Moving from Good to Excellent costs 3 points. So the total one would spend to receive a stat at an Excellent level would be 5 Build Points.

John makes is character. Wanting a high strength and dexterity, he pumps them up a few levels. He only has 12 points to do this will and cannot do past the Excellent level to start. To do this, he must spend 2 points to move his strength from typical to good. Then 3 build points to move his strength from good to excellent. In total, he spends 5 points to receive an excellent level of strength to start. His stats turn out like this; remember he started at the Level of Typical for all stats for being a human.

Strength: Excellent (5 points)
Willpower: Good (2 points)
Dexterity: Excellent (5 points)
Intelligence: Typical (0 points)
Wisdom: Typical (0 points)
Perception: Typical (0 points)

Health:
Health is broken down into two Sections, Vitality and Life.

Vitality is basically your characters power to survive. An aura if you will that surrounds the character and protects him from some harm. This is used first when damage is taken.
Vitality is based from Willpower. Each character starts with 3 + Willpower Modifier.
John has 3 + 2 = 5 Vitality Points. Vitality can be bought with Build Points, after character creation. 1 Vitality for every 4 Build Points spent.

Vitality is regained by rest. For every hour of good solid sleep or rest you regenerate 1 point of vitality. So of John has 0 Vitality Points left, he needs 5 hours of good rest or sleep.

Life is the physical body's ability to take damage. Every body can only take so much. This is used once the character's Vitality is used. Vitality is based from Strength. Each character starts with 10 + Strength Modifier Life Points. Life Points my be bought with Build Points after character creation. 1 Life Point every 2 Build Points spent.
John has 10 + 4 = 14 Life Points.

Life is regained by long term bed rest and relaxation, also help from a Medic or Doctor like person will speed the healing. More on this later'¦

Bleeding:
Bleeding occurs from taking damage. It can be internal or external bleeding. When bleeding, your character receives a 'œBleeding Counter' (BC). 'œBleeding Counters' (BC's) can stack. So you can receive more then 1 BC.

How do I get a 'œBleeding Counter' (BC)?
Every time you take more then 1 LP of damage, your character must make a check to see if they obtain a BC. Make a check, using the damage you received as the target number. In this roll, you must on or over the damage received in order pass this check without taking damage.

What the hell? How do I get rid of them?
At the end of each round, anyone with a BC must roll a 'œBleeding Check'. The Bleeding Check has a target number of 10 + Willpower Modifier. Now hope to roll between 1 and the total. If passed, you lose 1 BC for every 3 you pass by. So if you make the check by 7, you would lose 2 Bleeding Counters (BC's). Anyone left with a BC at the end of the round receives d2 LP damage for EVERY counter, only 1 roll.

Death:
Once your characters LPs hit 0, you become disabled. While disabled you can only crawl at a 3rd of your normal speed. Doing any Simple or Complex actions, besides crawling at 3rd your normal speed, can cause more damage and bleeding. If an action is made, the character must make an 'œIronwill Check'.

Ironwill Check:
Roll a d20 with a target number of 10, add your Strength Modifier. If the Check is passed, no additional damage is sustained from your actions. If the check is failed, you receive d2 damage and 1 Bleeding Counter. Once your LP's fall to -2, you become unconscious and no longer move.

Skills:

Now that you are done with your characters stats, let's work on skills. The same Restriction applies for being human in skills while making your Character; you cannot buy nor have a skill past the 'œRemarkable' Skill Level. Almost all the skills are based off of 2 stats; one being a physical stat and the other being a mental stat.

Your Build Points are reset for this section; here is where it gets more complex. Skills are not based solely from your characters Intelligence and there is more then one Type of skill to by from.

Let's start off with what the Skill Types are'¦

Learned '€" These are skills that you pick up from formal training and deal with combat.
Schooled '€" These are skills that you pick up from sitting in class and studying books
Intuition '€" These are skills that you pick up from life lessons.

Ok, so how many dang points do I get?
Here's the formula:
You get (Stat Modifier + Skill Type Bonus) times 3, not to drop below 4. Meaning, if your stat modifier is -4 or -8, you receive at least 4 points for skills.

The skill type bonus is changed based on race. Humans have +5 for Learned Skill Types. + 4 for Schooled Skill Types, +5 for Street Wise Skill types.

The Build Points for Learned are calculated using (willpower modifier + 5) times 3, not to drop below 4 points. So, John has (2+5) times 3 = 21 points to spend on Learned skills

The Build Points for Schooled are calculated using (intelligence modifier + 4) times 3, not to drop below 4 points. So, John has (0+4) times 3 = 12 points to spend on Schooled skills

The Build Points for Intuition are calculated using (Wisdom modifier + 5) times 3, not to drop below 4 points. So, John has (0+5) times 3 = 15 points to spend on Intuition skills

Skills are going to work in the same manor, where you have a 'œlevel' of the skill stating how good you are in it. The Skills Base Level is based off of the related stat(s).

John wants to use an Assault Rifle. Assault Rifles have two base stats that it uses for its Skill Level. Assault Rifles are based off of two Stats, Strength and Willpower. We use the 'œaverage' of the two skills to figure this out. Find the 'œLevel' in between the two Stat Levels, always rounding down.

John takes the Assault Rifles Skill. His Strength is 'œExcellent' and his Willpower is 'œGood' Based on the stats above; he has a Base Level of 'œGood' in the skill. This skill still only cost 1 point to learn at the 'œbase skill level'. John can now buy the skill to the level he wants it, not past Remarkable.

John wants to be better then good at his Assault Rifle. He buys another Skill Level in Assault Rifles, increasing it to 'œExcellent'. Using the same chart to buy Stat Level's, this costs him 3 more Build Points. With a Skill Level in Assault Rifles of 'œExcellent' he has spent 4 Build Points. To raise it to the skill to the next Skill Level will cost John 4 more points. Seeing that he has 17 more points to spend, He decides to go for it. Spending 8 points has given John the Skill Level of 'œRemarkable' with Assault Rifles. He has 13 more points to spend on Learned Skills. 'œRemarkable' is the highest Skill Level John can buy in character creation for being a human.

This can be complex, but if you take it one step at a time, it is rather easy to pick up on.

Untrained Skills:
When attempting a skill that you do not know or have no training in, you roll the Skill Check based on your stats. Use the lower modifier of the two stats used in for the skill as the bonus to the Skill Check; Base Target Number being 10. However, you receive a -10 to any untrained skill as well. So, someone that doesn't know how to pick up an assault rifle can use it, just not that well. Also, you must make a Skill Check to perform things on the weapon or area of the skill. So, if you have no weapons training and you try to reload an Assault Rifle... it will take some time. Each Attempt made at the same action, not including firing, will give the user a +1 up to +5. You learn a little bit each time you try to change the clip.

For skill that Require Training to use, like flying a helicopter or performing open heart surgery, you receive a '€" 25 to this check you still add the lower of the two stat modifiers to the check.

Strength = S
Willpower = W
Dexterity = D
Intelligence = I
Wisdom = M
Perception = P

List of Learned Skills: The basics of these skills can normally be taught in just a few weeks and are primarily combat skills.

Close Combat Skills:
S/M Marshal Arts/Sword Style (name)
S/M Blunt Weapons, Short '€" blunt weapons that are 1 to 12 inches long.
S/M Blunt Weapons, Medium '€" Blunt weapons that are 13 to 37 inches long
S/M Blunt Weapons, Long '€" Blunt weapons that are 38 and longer inches
D/M Edged Weapons, Long. '€" Edged weapons that are 38 and above inches long.
D/M Edged Weapons, Medium '€" Edged weapons that are 13 to 37 inches long.
D/M Edged Weapons, Short. '€" Edged weapons that are 1 to 12 inches long.
S/M Pole arms '€" covers all manors of pole arm like weapons.
D/M Two Handed Edged Weapons '€" covers larger weapons that require 2 hands to use
S/M Two Handed Blunt Weapons '€" Covers larger Blunt weapons.
D/M Archery
D/M Shield, Small '€" Includes SWAT shields.
S/M Shield, Medium
S/M Shield, Large

Ranged Combat Skills:
D/P Pistols
S/W Assault Rifles
D/M SMG's
P/M Sniper Rifles
S/W Shotguns
S/M Grenade Launchers
S/I Rocket Launchers
S/M Mortar Launchers
D/M Archery

Thrown Combat Skills:
D/M Throwing Edged, Small '€" Daggers ect.
S/M Throwing Edged, Long '€" Axes ect.
D/M Throwing Piercing, Small '€" Darts Ect.
S/M Throwing Piercing, Long '€" Javelins Ect.
S/M Grenades
D/M Centripetal Thrown - Sling, Bola

Miscellaneous Combat Skills:
P/M Blind-Fighting
D/W Fast-Draw
D/I Demolitions
P/M Camouflage - How to use it and where to put it, not hiding

Physical Excretion Skills:
S/M Parachuting
S/W Swimming
S/M Carpentry
D/M Dancing
S/I Blacksmith
S/W Drinking
S/M Mechanic
D/M Skiing
D/M Ride
S/M Climbing
D/W Acrobatics

List of Schooled Skills: These are sills that normally take years of study learning from a book.

Sciences:
I/M Computer Science
I/M Marine Biology
I/M Biology
I/M Physics
I/M Chemistry
I/M Social Science
I/M Psychology
I/M Psychoanalysis
I/M Economics

Research: Requires Schooling.
I/M Alien Technology
I/M Laser Weapons
I/M Projectile Weapons
I/M Thrown Weapons
I/M Alien Theory
I/M Alien Design
I/M Alien Interrogation
I/P Astronomy
I/M Archaeology
I/M Anthropology
I/P Astrology
I/M Art-History
I/M Architecture
I/M Cryptography
I/W Debate
I/M Heraldry
I/P Paleography
I/M Philosophy
I/M Theology
I/M Psychology
I/P Meteorology
M/P Metallurgy
I/P Mathematics
M/P Journalism
I/P History
M/P Forensics
I/P Geology
M/P Criminology

Medical Biology:
I/D First-Aid '€" The fastest and best way to patch someone up
I/W Intensive Care - Keeping that dying Agent Alive
I/M Toxicology '€" Knowledge of how to treat poison and toxins of all kinds
I/M Surgery '€" When you need to cut in
I/M Pharmacology '€" Knowledge of drugs and when to use what Drug

Diplomatic:
M/P Diplomacy
M/P Negotiation
W/P Public-Speaking

Jobs/Hobbies:
D/M Bartending
D/W Ventriloquism
D/M Massage
D/P Modeling
D/P Panhandling
M/W Poetry
D/M Artistry
D/M Sculpting
M/P Style, Clothing
M/P Style, Hair
M/W Animal-Training
I/P Brewing/Distil.
I/P Wine-Tasting
M/P Fishing
M/W Hypnotism
I/P Photography
D/M Pottery
D/W Fire-Walking
I/P Cinema Knowledge
M/P Storytelling
M/W Snake-Charming
D/M Welding
D/I Body-Alteration '€" tattoos ect
I/D Writing '€" books articles ect. '€" must have a langue to take this skill in.
I/M Cooking
I/W Economics
S/M Gunsmithing
D/M Jeweler
D/M Leatherworking
P/W Singing
D/M Wood-Craft
D/I Engineering
I/P Literature
M/P Instruction
M/P Role-playing

Electronics:
I/P Computer Hacking '€" Knowledge of computers.
I/P Computer Cracking '€" Knowledge of how to break into computers.
I/M Networking, Knowledge
I/M Hardware, Knowledge
D/M Computer Repair
D/M Hardware Repair
I/P Electrical Circuits

Languages:
I/M English
I/M Alien - -3 Levels if not an alien race.

List of Intuition Skills: These are skills that the basics can be taught in a few weeks and use a person's instinct and not brain to use.

Tactics:
P/M Military Tactics
P/M Alien Tactics - - 3 skill levels if not an alien race
P/M Police Tactics
P/M Camouflage
P/W Torture
P/W Diversion Tactics

Awareness:
P/M Surroundings
P/M Lessoning
P/M Spotting
P/W Battle Field Awareness
W/M Fortune-Telling
P/M Scrounging
P/M Search

Servile:
M/W Animal-Empathy
M/P Haggling
M/P Appraisal
M/P Herbalisum
M/P Hunting

Deception:
M/P Bribery
W/P Gambling
P/W Lip-Reading
P/M Lock-Picking
P/M Forgery
P/W Fast-Talk
P/W Disguise
P/M Pickpocket
D/M Hide
D/M Move Silently
P/W Seduction
P/M Sense-Deception
D/W Sleight-of-Hand

Civilian Vehicles:
P/M Car
P/M Truck
P/M Van
P/M Limo
P/W ATV
P/W Motor Bike
P/W Motor Tri-Bike
P/M Boat
P/M Yacht
P/M Speed Boat

Military Vehicles:
P/M Truck
P/M Hum-v
P/I Jet Plane
P/M Prop Plane
P/I Helicopter
P/M Speed Boat

How Do Skill Checks work?
Now that we have the Stats and Skills, We can see how a Skill Check will work. The base Target number is 10 (on a d20). This is adjusted based on how difficult the trial at hand is.

Let's say John has spotted an Alien. Now he wants to shoot at it with his Assault Rifle. Based on the above, His skill with Assault Rifles is 'œRemarkable'. Using the first chart listed (Skill Level and Skill Check Chart), he receives a +8 to his roll. So, on a D20, he needs to roll a number between 1 and 18 to Succeed at the Skill Check. However, the Difficulty of the shot is also included in the same manor. He has a poor shot on the target and receives a -2. This makes his target number between 1 and 16. A fairly easy shot for someone with 'œRemarkable' skill in the weapon he is using.

Now, let's say John was using his Pistol, which he has a Skill Level of 'œGood' in. This gives him a +2 to his shot. He now needs a 1 to 12 to make the shot. It is the same 'œPoor' shot, -2. Factoring that in, he now needs to roll a 1 to 10 to make the shot with his pistol.

Now, let's say John is on the target range using a Sniper Rifle, which he has a Skill Level of 'œTypical' in. He needs to roll a 1 to 10 in order to make the shot. He has, due to distance, weather conditions, and the target being in cover, a 'œHorrible' shot on the target, -8. In order to hit this target, he must roll a 1 or a 2.

These are just VERY basic rules and many things affect the out come of the Skill Check. The quality of the weapon or tools being used has a major affect on this.

First Aid: Dex/Int
This skill can get complicated.
Healing LP's:
To heal a Characters LP's normally requires long term rest or the aid of the sick bay. However, a medic can heal a Character using their trusty Med-Kit or First Aid Kit. With out the kits, it is harder to heal with out the proper drugs and catalysts.
Roll a skill check with a base target number of 10. Add the amount of damage that the character has received divided by 3, rounding down. For every 1 point ABOVE the target number, you heal 1 point of LP's. For every 3 points ABOVE the target number, you remove 1 Bleeding Counter (BC). When using a Med-Kit you receive a +6 to your roll. When using a First Aid Kit, you receive a + 3 to your roll.
Broken Bones:
Incomplete Fractures: AKA Greenstick Fractures. This is a fracture when the break does not traverse all the way though the bone in any direction, making it incomplete.

Simple Fractures: This is basically a crack along or across the whole bone.

Comminuted Fractures: This is a break on the bone that is more like a shattered chuck of bone that is no longer attached; Compound that does not break the skin.

Compound Fractures: The bone is broken and sticking out of the skin.
'œQuick Patch':
Fractures can be healed, using a Med-Kit. The kit contains the medications and catalysts needed to make the bone heal quickly and painfully. When using this 'œQuick Patch' method of fixing a broken bone, a Medic using many medications to cause the bone to bond back together. To use this, a Medic MUST set the bone first, causing d4 VP damage to the patient, do not use on dieing patients. Once the bone is set the Medic injects 3 different shots into the affected area. The first is injected into the epidermis, skin, and causes the blood in the area to clot. The second injection goes into the mussel, a mussel-relaxer to relieve pressure on the break. The third shot is injected into the bone itself. This injection cases a quick reaction around the set bone as it '˜heals' together.

Rule of 1's and 20's:
If a 1 comes up on any Skill Check roll, it is an automatic success on the roll. A roll of 20 is an automatic failure.

How does my Character get stronger?
Once done with creating your character, you my increases his skills, stats, vitality points, and life points by using Build Points. Build Points, after creation, are awarded by the GM after a mission. GMs my award Build Points for good RPing, good jokes, good one liners, good ideas, and for what ever reason they feel like. GM's can also remove Build Points for bad RPing (ie: not playing in character) that interferes with the game, and what ever '€" with good reason '€" they deem deserves it.

The charts remain the same for the cost of increasing a stat or skill to the next Level.

Build Point Cost To Increase Stats or Skills:
Level:Cost for Next Level:
Horrible2
Feeble1
Poor1
Typical2
Good3
Excellent4
Remarkable5
Incredible6
Amazing-
Please keep in mind; you may be required to RP increasing/learning a stat/skill the GM. Please use your discretion.

Combat!

Initiative:
This is how quick your Character reacts to a given situation. It is based on the modifier and not 'œLevel's'. Add the Modifiers for your characters Willpower, Dexterity, and Perception and then divide that number by 2. So, John, has a Willpower + 2, Dexterity +4, and a Perception +0 = 6 then divide by 2 = 3. John receives a +3 to his Initiative Check.

How do Initiative Checks work out?
Roll a D20. Add your Initiative too it. If someone ties, they act at the same time. If someone manages a Negative Initiative they go the next round on 10. Basically, they loose a turn.

How does Initiative work?
Initiative works from highest to lowest. Players go starting with the highest Initiative rolled and working down. Anyone that is going at the same time another person does not receive any penalties from actions of the player going at the same time until the next Initiative count down.
So, John and Bob the Alien have the same Initiative on count 13. Bob the Alien shoots at John and John shoots at Bob the Alien, at the same time. Bob the Alien hits John damaging him, which causes penalties to Initiative and Accuracy. The penalties for the hit are not applied to John until Initiative count of 12. This allows John's shot at Bob the Alien to be shot as it should be'¦ Ever hear of two people killing each other at the same time?
Also, players get a second turn every 10 Initiative counts till 1. If someone can go on 0, they do not go. So, someone with a 13 Initiative will go on 13 and 3. Someone with a 23 Initiative will go on 23, 13, and 3. Someone with a 10 Initiative will go on 10 that's all.

Does Damage Affect Initiative?
Yes, for every 3 points of Life Points lost; a -1 Initiative penalty is applied. This penalty takes affect 1 initiative count after the damage is inflected. So, if you have an Initiative of a 10 and you take 3 damage on an 11, your Initiative is now a 9.

Actions:
When a Players turn comes, they can do several things per Initiative Count. They can use the full Initiative Count and may perform One Complex Action OR they can use the Full Initiative and perform Two Simple Actions. They also receive 1 Free Action each Initiative Count.

Complex Actions:
'¢ Run 15ft (not including armor and weight restrictions)
'¢ Using an Active skill
'¢ Searching a 5ft area
'¢ Scanning the horizon. Line of sight
'¢ A 10 round shot of Full Auto.
'¢ Firing a SS weapon.

Simple Actions:
'¢ Ejecting a Clip
'¢ Inserting a Clip
'¢ Inserting 1 + (Dexterity Bonus) number of Shells into a Revolver or Loader. (not to drop below at least 1 shell)
'¢ Pulling a Trigger, (SA, BF)
'¢ Aiming, bonus to hit.
'¢ Making 2 hand signals
'¢ 5ft Move
'¢ Looking over the combat area, quickly
'¢ A 5 round burst of Full Auto
'¢ Changing weapon modes.

Free Actions:
'¢ Saying 3 words.

Firing a Weapon.
A player determines if they by making a Skill Check based on the skill of the weapon they are using. Just in case you didn't read it'¦

Let's say John has spotted an Alien. Now he wants to shoot at it with his Assault Rifle. Based on the above, His skill with Assault Rifles is 'œRemarkable'. Using the first chart listed (Skill Level and Skill Check Chart), he receives a +8 to his roll. So, on a D20, he needs to roll a number between 1 and 18 to Succeed at the Skill Check. However, the Difficulty of the shot is also included in the same manor. He has a poor shot on the target and receives a -2. This makes his target number between 1 and 16. A fairly easy shot for someone with 'œRemarkable' skill in the weapon he is using.

'¦ Now, many things effect how good or bad of a shot John would have. Lighting, cover, damage taken is just a few of the things that affect the shot. As for Damage taken, it affects Johns shot in the following way. For every 3 Life Point damage taken, he receives a penalty of 1 to Skill Check rolls and Intuitive. So if he loses 6 life points, John receives a -2 to all Skill Check rolls and a -2 to his Initiative; affected 1 Initiative count after the damage is taken.

damage Received:
Once it is determined that a hit is scored, damage is then calculated based on the weapon. Most weapons will have 2D-something damage. This makes the game much more deadly.
Damage taken affects both Initiative and Skill Checks. For every 3 Life Point damage taken, one receives a penalty of 1 to Skill Check rolls and Initiative affective the 1 Initiative count after the damage is taken. So if someone takes damage on the count of 12, the penalties of the damage will not affect the person's rolls until an Initiative count of 11. Shooting your weapon is considered a Skill Check.
First the hit has to go though the characters armor, if any is worn. Next the damage is taking from Vitality Points. Once the Vitality Points are used, Life Points are used. Once A characters Life Points hit 0, the character becomes disabled.

Armor:
Armor absorbs a random amount damage determined by the Absorption Factor (AF) of the armor the Character is wearing. Every time Armor absorbs OVER its Resistance Factor (RF) it degrades the Resistance Factor (RF) by 1 point. Once the Resistance Factor (RF) hits 0, the armor no longer absorbs damage due to the fact that it is too torn up.

Armor has 4 different fields of absorption, Impact (IA), Ballistic (BA), and Energy(EA) Multi Absorption (MA).

Impact Absorption (IA):
Impact Absorption is used vs. very low impact weapons like Swords, Clubs, Fists, and Teeth.

Ballistic Absorption (BA):
Ballistic Absorption is used vs. higher impact weapons like guns.

Energy Absorption (EA):
Energy Absorption is used vs. energy weapons like lasers.

Multi Absorption Weapons (MA):
When weapons do more then one type of damage, it is considered Multi Absorption. This is a weapon that might use both Ballistic Absorption and Energy Absorption. The MA rating of a armor is how much the Absorption factors are affected when hit with a multi affect weapon. MA ratings are normally done as fractions. So, if the MA of a armor is ½ then the armor absorbs ½ the damage in each absorption category. So, when hit by plasma weapon, which is both Ballistic and Energy based, each absorption roll will be multiplied by ½ rounded down. Once the absorption is figured for both the factors, add the remaining number together and continue as normal.

So'¦ John takes a hit. The armor he is wearing absorbs 2d4 worth of damage and has a Resistance Factor (RF) of 4, (normally starts at half the max damage the armor can absorb). The shot he is hit with does 9 damage all together. He rolls a 7 on his AF Check (absorption factor). This decreases the damage that hits John to 2, but the armor takes a good hit and its Resistance Factor (RF) is now a 3. So, if the next hit is more then 3 damage, the armor will lose another Resistance Factor (RF) lowing it to 2.

This is Johns first hit, so he has all 5 of his VP (vitality points) left. The left over damage from the above takes 2 points of VP (vitality points) away. Meaning that he is has not taking Life Point damage and so his body has not been hurt, he will probably have a burse though. John now has 3 VP. He takes another shot for 8 damage. He rolls a 3 on his AF (absorption factor) check and lowers the damage to 5. Being that the armor only absorbed 3 points of damage and not over 3 points of damage, the RF (Resistance Factor) of the armor remains the same. The 5 points of damage goes though the armor and hits VP (vitality points). He only has 3 VP left, the shot uses the rest of the VP and hits John for 2 points of LP (Life points). John's armor now has a RF of 3. He has 0 VP left and 12 LP left. John does not receive a penalty to any Skill Check or Initiative until he receives 1 more point of LP damage.

If the AF roll is above the RF, but does not absorb more then the RF. Then no RF is lost.
John rolls a AF of 8, the RF is 3, the damage was only for 2 points. The armor absorbs the damage and does not lose any RF.

John is shot by a Multi Damage weapon, meaning it has more then one type of fire to be hit by; his Multi Absorption Factor is ½ on the armor he is sporting. The weapon does both Energy and Ballistic damage totaling to 16. John rolls the AF on his armor for both categories of the weapons damage multiplying them by the Multi Absorption Factor (MA) of 1/2 the rolls, rounding down. His Energy Absorption Factor (EA) is d4 and his Ballistic Absorption Factor (BA) is d6. He rolls a 3 on his Energy Absorption, so his armor Absorbs 1 point of damage. He rolls a 5 on his Ballistic Absorption Factor (BA), the armor absorbs 2 points more of damage. The total the armor absorbs is 3 damage. The armors RF (resistance factor) is currently 3; the armor does not lose any RF from this shot, however, it lets (16-3) 13 damage go though. John only has 12 LP's left, he now has -1 and is rendered Disabled. Any actions other then crawling at 1/3 John's speed will cause him to make a Ironwill Check to not take anymore damage.

Where does the shot land?
Roll a d12 and use the following chart to find where the bullet lands and added affects.

Head: 1: No helmet causes instant death. With helm add d10 '€" 1 damage.
Body: 2, 7, 10: No extra affects
Right Leg: 3, 11: -1/4 movement penalty - Stackable
Left Leg: 5, 12: -1/4 movement penalty - Stackable
Right Arm: 4, 8: -2 to skill checks involving the right arm. - Stackable
Left Arm: 6, 9: -2 to skill checks involving the left arm - Stackable

Bonuses to Hit:
These come as advantages to the person attacking the defender. Being on higher ground could give you a bonus to hit a target. The GM will take these into account while a suggested list is being populated.

Penalties to hit:
Penalties come as negatives to your attack roll; things that can affect these are a target being partial or fully hidden as well as distance and wounds. The following chart is given as the Modifiers to weapons based on range.

Weapon Ranges:
Category Short Medium Long Extreme Impossible
Penalty 0 -2 -5 -11 -21
Sniper Rifles 1-10 11-60 61-200 201-302 303- inf.
Assault Rifles 1-6 7-23 24-60 61-100 101- inf.
Pistols 1-3 4-10 11-31 41-70 71- inf.
Shotguns, Slugs 1-3 6-15 16-40 41-70 71- inf.
Shotguns, Shot 1-3 4-10 11-25 26-30 31- inf.
Thrown * x1 x2 x4 x6 x8
*- Thrown range is based on your Strength Modifier. (Str. Mod. + 3) times (distance).
So.. short is (Str Mod. +3) x 1 is the max for that range.

Infinity: After the Range hits the impossible distance, subtract 1 for every yard over the Impossible range. So, a Sniper Rifle, firing at 305 yards will receive a -23 (-21-1-1) to hit.

Firing modes:
Depending on what mode you fire your gun in, can have an effect on your shots accuracy.

Single Shot (SS): Penalty - 0
Single Shot weapons have no effect on your Skill Check. They only fire 1 round in an initiative count, do to the fact it is a complex action.

Semi-Automatic (SA): Penalty '€" First Shot '€" 0 Second Shot '€" 2
Semi-Automatic weapons have a penalty to the second shot fired, seeing that the weapon's kick will make it harder to aim that second shot. This is a Simple action and it can be performed 2 times in 1 initiative count. Damage is not modified. Note: Making a simple action first then firing will also incur the -2 penalty, this does not include aiming.

Burst Fire (BF): Penalty '€" First Shot: -2 Second Shot: -4
A Burst Fire trigger pull fires 3 rounds per trigger pull. The first shot also incurs the penalty because of the kick associated with firing 3 rounds from your gun. The second burst fire shoots 3 more rounds form the weapon. The penalty is double, seeing that you would still be trying to balance the weapon from the first burst. Burst fire adds additional d6 damage to the weapon on the first shot and additional d8 damage on the second burst.
This is a Simple Action to perform per trigger pull. Note: Making a simple action first then firing will also incur the -2 penalty, this does not include aiming.

Fully Automatic (FA): Penalty '€" First 5 Round Burst: -5 Second 5 Round Burst: -10
Fully Automatic fire is very deadly, but hard to aim. The first 5 round burst incurs a -5 to the shots. This increases the damage, if hit, by 2d8. The second burst receives a -10 to the shots but increases the damage to 2d12. Each burst is a simple action. Also, when firing in FA mode it is hard to control the amount of round fired. You fire d4 -1 more rounds then wanted on each trigger pull. But, add the amount of rounds rolled to the damage dealt for that burst. So, you fire 3 round more then the five, but you do 3 more damage as well. Note: Making a simple action first then firing will also incur the -2 penalty, this does not include aiming.

'œSuppressing Fire' (FA Only): Penalty '€" Suppressing Fire -17
There is one more advantage to Fully Automatic fire; 'œSuppressing fire', only allowed in FA mode, you must declare it before you start firing. This action receives a -17 to hit your target. But, this idea is not to aim at the target, but to make them not move or die if they do. During this mode you fire at least 10 rounds on every initiative your act but fire d6 -1 more rounds as well. Each over shot bullet adds +1 to the damage. The base damage of the weapon increases to 2d12 more damage, if hit. The glory for this type of fire is when the enemy tries to move with in the area you are pelting with bullets. There is a 75% chance to hit a creature that moves into the area you are hitting, this is rolled every 5 feet that the creature moves, including friendly's. This area is 10 feet wide at the target area. This can hit anyone moving between your line of fire as well. The only down fall is it that if you don't hit what your aiming at with the first roll, you have to wait for them to step into the line of fire to be hit. You can hold down the 'œsuppressing fire' for how ever long you want to, or for how long your clip lasts as 10+(d6-1) rounds a initiative count that you act. Each round you keep up the 'œsuppressing fire' you add a -7 to the attack roll, a + 2d10 more damage, and a +5% chance to hit a creature that moves 5 ft with in the '˜lead hose'- not going over 90%. You re-roll your attack every time your turn comes in the initiative phase. But the penalties and damage only add up every time the initiative count you started the 'œsuppressing fire' comes up. . One thing you must remember, between initiatives, you are just firing. Meaning, while others are acting, you are shooting. If you move or perform another action once the 'œsuppressing fire' has started, it is broken. You must announce that you want to use 'œsuppressing fire' again and start from the base penalties and bounces. Bottom Line, avoid the lead hose.

Making Skill checks while using 'œSuppressing Fire':
While using Suppressing Fire, your attention is focused on the target and trying to place your rounds in or the area you are pelting. When making any type of Skill Check while firing incurs a -15 penalty. It's hard to see or hear around the firing weapon; Any person with in a 10 foot circumference of 'œSuppressing Fire' receives a -5 penalty to any lessoning checks made.

Critical Hits:
When an attack roll is a 1, it is a chance at a critical. When this happens, roll your attack again, if you hit the target again, it is a Critical Hit. The attack its some vital organ. Damage for a Critical Hit can be done 2 ways, Double the damage rolled or roll the damage for the weapon twice. Note: Creatures can be Immune to Critical Hits.

Called Shots:
Called Shots are when you want to place your attack in a specific area or body part. This incurs a base penalty of -8. When attacking a creature, use the following chart. If the attack is successful, add the penalty from the Shot Land chart above + d4 damage. The bounes to a Called Shot is that you do not have to do Life Point Damage to add the affect to your target.

Head: -12
Body: -6
Right Leg: -8
Left Leg: -8
Right Arm: -8
Left Arm: -8

For other called shots, say a button on the wall, it is up to the DM to decide what the penalty will be based on the shot at hand.

Firing Two Weapons:
When holding two weapons, the weapon in your primary hand receives a -4 while the weapon in your off hand receives a -6 to each attack. Larger weapons receive an additional -2 to both hands, for each weapon Category above Small. Also, if recoil affects the weapon one receives another -4 to each hand. So firing to Assault Rifles (large) will incur a -12 on the main hand and an -14 on the off hand. These penalties can be off set using feats. Normal Firing Mode penalties and other normal penalties such as range and damage also stack with these Coming Soon!

Firing When Hidden or Camouflaged:
When you fire your weapon when hidden or camouflaged, you receive a -4 to your hide check, already rolled, for the shots made. It gives away your position, either by barrel flash or noise. Silencers and Muzzle Flash Reducers modify this penalty, normally by a +2. So if you fire to shot in SA mode you now have a -4 to your hide check that was previously rolled. Anyone in the area my make a Battle Field Awareness check to see if they spot the shooter.
How long does the penalty last?
This penalty remains for as long as you fire the weapon continuously. This means, for every Initiative Turn that you choose to fire, the previous penalty stays and stacks with new ones. So, if you fire 2 SA shots, simple actions, in one Initiative Turn you not have a -8 to your previous hide roll. If you fire one more time on your next Initiative Turn you receive another -4 to the -8, this makes it -16. For every FULL Initiative Turn you spend not firing or drawing attention to yourself, you receive a +4 to your hide skill up too the roll of your hide check. So.. Fire = hide '€" 4, everyone in the area makes a battle field awareness check. If they spot you then you are no longer hidden to them. You do not fire and stay hidden on your next Initiative Turn, the -4 goes away. You can not go higher then your hide check started at so if you decide to not move or fire it does not affect your hide check.

Once again, I am no going to be using stats in this first game this is for possible future games. Thats all for now, more to come!
Last edited by Shinling on Sat May 20, 2006 6:19 am, edited 18 times in total.
"The Clock of Life is Wound But Once"
-Some Old Guy
-Shinling

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: ATC's System

Post by Shurijo » Tue May 02, 2006 5:06 am

What are the stats?

Still Strength, Willpower, Dex, Intel, Wis, Cha?

I like this approach over the number one (d20).

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue May 02, 2006 5:27 am

I'm confused over the second list.

If we start with Typical and must buy Good (2 points), then do we use the second list to buy Excellent (for 3 points)?

If so, then the first list shouldn't include anything over Good since you can't buy those without using the second list. Or do you use the first list for character generation and then at lv 2, you use the second list if you want to better that score?

Shinling
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Shinling » Tue May 02, 2006 6:06 am

Err sorry, that first list is mark witht he Modifyer, not the Build Point Cost (points) the modifier, I might use later for rolling or the like. or other ideas. use the 2nd list for all "Buying" of Stat Level's. : ) sorry about the confusing.

I left off the Stats, cus they are always changing.. keep thinking of different things.. I think these are the ones I'm going to be sticking with...

Strenght:
Willpower:
Dextarity:
Intelligance:
Wisdom:
Perception:

these might change, but I do not think they will.. I wanted to have a chrisma stat, but I also only wanted 6 stats.. Perception is required, due to the guns involved.. I guess I could make it a stat based off of 2 others, but I'd rather not.. : )
-Some Old Guy
-Shinling

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue May 02, 2006 6:10 am

I know the stats aren't that important, but which stats affect which things? Like does dex or perception affect shooting? Strength for melee attacking?, etc.

Shinling
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Shinling » Tue May 02, 2006 6:13 am

Wisdom and Perception are going to be affecting the Sniper Rifle Skill.. I have the skills section typed up, no skills really typed up at all, but anyone can have anything : ).. I'll post it so you can get the idea.

Also, we are not using the skills yet either. : )

Edited in Skills section to the first post..
edited for me being dumb, updated to the correct Stats for Sniper Rilfes
-Some Old Guy
-Shinling

Shinling
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Shinling » Sun May 07, 2006 2:34 am

posted all of ATC ruals I have writen at the moment, includes SOME combat. lot more to come when its done.. I'm not going to change the fact that Armor Absorbs damage and I like how it degrades when it takes a good hit.. anyhow.. any ideas, let me know!

PS, I have not added more skills sence last time..
-Some Old Guy
-Shinling

Shinling
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Shinling » Sun May 07, 2006 4:25 am

just as a base idea of whats going on with speed and movment, note: this will change in the futur

Running distance in a round
no armor: 20ft a round
light body armor: 20ft a round
Light Assault armor: 15ft a round
Heavy Assault Armor: 10ft a round - no running. (5 foot steps)
-Some Old Guy
-Shinling

Shinling
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Shinling » Wed May 10, 2006 5:45 am

anyone know how to make the spacing work out better? I dont remeber the code for tabing..

oh, updated some of the combat section- added modes as well
-Some Old Guy
-Shinling

Curris
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Curris » Wed May 10, 2006 6:12 am

use {code}your text here{/code} where the {}'s are ['s and ]'s

Put your text in Wordpad or something, throw down your tabs and columns, etc. and paste it into the code blocks.