Greater Binghamton Area - L5R Card Group

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Greater Binghamton Area - Card Group

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:22 am

It has been a long time since we played L5R, but this past week MadVlat and I managed three games.

I built a new deck finally so that was good and managed to tweak my others decks a bit with some new cards. MV hasn't made anything new but he did tweak his deck to an Open format putting in guys currently not legal in the Emperor Edition format (which my decks are). Good theme for his deck, bad manners for a samurai ;)

Game 1 - Me: Mantis Kitsune Shugenja who summon spirits vs MV: Dragon Fire Monks

My new deck worked well, it put out plenty of guys fast, each one was a shugenja that put out a spirit when it came into play. So I built fast, and had lots of spells that were cheap. He had monks, but waited and didn't attack early. I was able to build my army and my honor. I honor bombed for 11 at the end, and could have done 14 but didn't need to. He hadn't taken any provinces, game over. I won.
Image Game 2 - Me: Unicorn Tacticans vs MV Same Dragon Monks

Slow start for me, really slow, high cost guys and not enough gold. He took an early province and things just got worse as I lost guys trying to keep my provinces alive. During this game I sliced my hand wide open and was utterly distracted by the bleeding hand I had to use the rest of the day. Lucky for my my wife works in the ER and could treat my hand without me having to go the hospital. MV wins.
Image Game 3 - Me: Phoenix Inquisitor Shugenja vs MV Same Dragons

Good start for me, decent for him. I play by dishonoring him by explosing that all his tattoos are made from blood and are Maho! He attacks mid game and I block. The war goes poorly for me, apparently half his deck is unbow cards which works wonders for him as he can keep countering my lawful questioning of his maho using monks! The game starts to turn there. I manage to drop him to double digits dishonor (-11ish) but the loss of some key shugenja spells my doom. MV wins.
This was a sad day for me, loosing 2 out of 3 to MV, but every now and then you have to be nice to the elderly and let them have a pity win ;)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:24 am

After the elderly crack, the Dragon have consulted with the dark oracle of water. She recommended summoning Oni no Akuma and using sneak attacks and broad fronts to decimate their enemies... 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:23 pm

Are we making Open decks now? Yeah, I think *I* will put together an illegal deck using Open rules... Muahahahaha!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:14 am

Check this out.

http://www.l5r.com/2013/03/07/surprise- ... ouncement/

Turns out that this player made format, known as Big Deck, and that we have played at BrenCon and locally has made the grade. AEG is having a Big Deck event at GenCon this year. Cool.

We should play Big Deck again.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:15 am

Also, check this one out, card idea? Submit it to AEG.

http://www.l5r.com/card-submissions/

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:09 am

Black Crane!
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:25 pm

I was thinking the same thing Tet!

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:11 am

Hmmm...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...