Greater Binghamton Area - L5R Card Group

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Greater Binghamton Area - L5R Card Group

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Well, I'm going to try and get a Babysitter for this, so we can just focus on playing cards andnot being attacked by Oni no Lil'Vman. I requested an event kit, but you need 30 days, so we probably can't get it in time unless we play March 7th. I tried for before, so we'll see.

My options are the 28th and the 7th at this point.

What are yours?

Also *if* we do a draft, with 8 people, it would run about 12.50$ each.

I'm totally good if we don't, I know most of us are broke anyhow.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:47 pm

I think I'm good with either 28th or 7th. We've also got room for out-of-towners to crash.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:58 pm

We're a go for March 7th, it seems.

For those with SO's, they are also invited along, since Joni likely won't have much to do while we are playing. She's thinking possibly a 'girls day out' while we have fun.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:29 pm

March 7th it is then.

We'll shoot for something like Noon til whenever.

Pyg has expresed intrested in a No Cost Draft. Basically it works out you put in no money, you get to draft, and build and play, but in the end you put the cards back into the box. I think it works.

We'll also do some nice mulitplayer games, and just general gaming too.

Also, this will be at Brennor's house, unless something changes.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:49 pm

I have just placed the order for a Booster box of Glory of the Empire.
It should be here WELL before March 7th.

This gives us 45 packs to do the No-Cost-Draft with...
Not knowing exactly how many people are going to want to crack packs, this sounds like 9 players worth of fun.

If you intend to keep what you draft, you're welcome to kick in $2.25 per pack (figuring 5 packs... so $11.25?), or just B.Y.O.5.B.P (Bring your own Five booster packs) of Glory of the empire and jump on in! I don't plan on having prize support, but V has mentioned that there may be some goodies for the victor.

Remember: There will be NO COST TO PLAY the draft. I'm not trying to wring any koku out of anyone. I'd just rather have my packs opened in a fun way instead of cracked and stacked.

We'll also need to bring a draft pack... Many people have the Shrine to Lady Sun pack, I think I still know where mine is.

Hey V: Is there enough "stuff" in the imperial gift to make a custom draft pack out of it? I'm pretty sure most of the humans attending got that free set.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 pm

I will reproduce as many Custom Draft Packs as I possibly can. I should be able to come up with enough cards, based on what's in a Draft Pack to make up 9 packs, either with offical cards or with unoffical (yet idenitcal) cards.

Key will be the Stronghold. Please bring your Shrine of the Lady Sun stronghold, those I know I don't have enough. Then again we can just Proxy those since we all have the same thing and it doesn't matter much.

I did request the current event support pack, hopefully it arrives in time. It should, they are pretty good about dates when you request them for a certain date.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:34 am

Cool. I've still got my draft pack (or can at least recreate it).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:56 am

The Shrine of the Lady Sun Draft Pack Includes

'¢ 1 x Shrine of Lady Sun
'¢ 4 x Brilliant Artisan
'¢ 1 x Akodo's Grave
'¢ 2 x Private Trader
'¢ 5 x Spearhead
'¢ 1 x Ring of Earth
'¢ 1 x Impromptu Duel

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:45 am

BONUS DRAFT RULES

Hey all in the spirit of the Shrine of the Lady Sun we are going to run some bonus effects for the Draft.

1. Bring 2 Cans (or other wise nonperishables) for CHOW (local food bank charity) and you will begin the Draft with +1 Honor. All the food will be collected and donated in the Site's name to the local CHOW food bank.

2. Bring a Rokugan themed items for Prize Support, it doesn't have to be much, but it has to be L5R themed some how, and you start the draft with +1 Province Strength!

Also, I've started to make contact with the NYC L5R group off their Yahoo Group and in the future perhaps we can get some folks to come up from there, or we can go down there. Perhaps even this time we might get a person or two??

(Don't worry Bren I haven't given out any address information yet to them)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:22 pm

Booster Draft Stronghold
A Draft begins with any number of players who each receive booster packs. The tournament organizer determines the mix of packs, but each player must get the same number of boosters from each expansion or base set. The total number of cards per person should be in the 40's, which can mean 4 expansion boosters, 3 base set boosters, or any combinations that seems appropriate. Players are then seated randomly around a table in councils of 2 to 8.

Draft Set-Up

Once arranged and seated in their Councils, players may then open their first booster, determined by the tournament organizer. Players may look through that booster and select one card from that pack. Once that card has been selected, it becomes part of their card library and is no longer considered part of the booster pack. The rest of the booster pack is turned face down and passed to the person on his left. Once everyone has selected their card, they may pick up the booster that was just passed to them and select another card for their card library, again passing the remains of the booster to the person on their Left. This continues until the last card is selected and there are no more cards.

Once the first booster is depleted, the tournament organizer signals which booster players open next. Like the first booster, players select their cards. But this time players pass the booster to the Right instead of the left. Players continue until that booster is depleted and go on to the third booster. The passing direction continues to alternate, with odd-numbered boosters passed to the left and even-numbered boosters passed to the right.

Building Your Deck

After all the boosters have been depleted, players begin the deck building process. In addition to the drafted Cards each player adds the following cards from the draft pack to his card library:

'¢ 1 x Shrine of Lady Sun
'¢ 4 x Brilliant Artisan
'¢ 1 x Akodo's Grave
'¢ 2 x Private Trader
'¢ 5 x Spearhead
'¢ 1 x Ring of Earth
'¢ 1 x Impromptu Duel

The tournament organizer should supply draft pack cards to any players who do not already have a draft pack. Players then have a time limit set by the tournament organizer for deck building.

Draft Specific Rules

Special rules:
'¢ Decks will be constructed 20/20 exactly - no more, no less.
'¢ No Sensei or Wind cards are allowed.
'¢ Before determining who goes first, either player may offer the other the chance to go first. If a player accepts, he goes first, and the other player begins the game with 5 more honor than printed.
'¢ If you need to draw a card or fill an empty province and the required deck is empty, first refill your deck by taking all cards from your appropriate discard pile and shuffling them. Then refill as normal.
'¢ After an event resolves, it is removed from the game.
'¢ All card count restrictions in the rulebook are waived, so players may include as many copies of any single card in their decks as they were able to draft. The restrictions such as Unique and Loyalty Rules are not waived during game play.
'¢ Once players have created their decks, they declare two Storyline-Legal Factions. They are considered to be playing both of those factions, for all card and rule purposes, throughout the tournament. Once that is done the tournament begins.