Greater Binghamton Area - L5R Card Group

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Greater Binghamton Area - L5R Card Group

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:23 pm

That works for me, Amaris is at work so I'm home and ready around 3:30 or 4. I'm going to order a pizza that night so we don't starve like before, so bring a few bucks if you want and chow down.

Bren or JP if you read this, you guys can come too, we can do some LotR mulitplayer or anything, we need a guys game night badly!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:08 pm

I got your voicemail V. Unfortunately Thursday was the only day I will have for at least the next two weeks. Long hours at work and hunting season (which I don't miss for anything short of my own funeral)...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:28 pm

I ended up having to switch things because of Amaris' work. So I won't be home till 5:30 and it will be the first day in 7 that I get to see my wife for more than 10mins at a time. I won't be able to play.

My schedule of good days

Sats and Suns most weeks

Tue 20, Fri 23 (All day just about, I'm off from work. I think Bren was going to try and hang out this day too)
Tue 27, Thr 29
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:35 am

Maybe I can swing the 20th. It is the only day I work next week the rest I will be in the woods. Do you have enough of the LoTR cards to make three decks??? Hint Hint...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 am

Somewhere between three and four PM til about Nine or Nine Thirty...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 pm

I can totally do the 20th. I'll be good at about 3:30pm through the evening. Looks like a prefect time. Since my Birthday is on Saturday I suspect I'll be getting some cards, so I should have enough to make a 3rd deck. Maybe we can rope JP into playing!

Also this Saturday Bitom is going to be at Brennor's house. I'm going to crash the party.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:04 pm

Sent a PM on this to you V.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Gotcha.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Greater Binghamton Area - Card Group

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:25 pm

So last night we hit one bump in the road as MV (being so old as he is) forgot to come over on time. Didn't matter, he showed up after he was done with his Early Bird Special at the local diner and then showed up. Old people, what are you going to do about them?

So JP came over and we gave the Lord of the Rings LCG a shot. I put together an "elven" ranged attack deck for him out of my cards. The rules claim you need a second base set to play more than 2 people but that didn't really seem the case. We just used dice for counters and would have used more tokens if we ran out of other things.

So...
Image Image Image
JP and I tackled the starting adventure, Message Out of Mirkwood. I played my same Lore/Spirit deck with Elrond, Bilbo and Eowyn. We utter destroyed this game. 53 Victory Points, its lower than any single player one I've had I think. The encounter deck (bad guys) drew terrible, we had a counter for everything, and we just cleaned up. It was the middle of JP's second turn and we won the game.

Feeling good we moved on to the Down the Anduin adventure, which has always given me trouble. We got in a hole early and just got beat down. My threat topped 50 and I was out of the game. He tried to hold it together a bit longer, but the stupid Hill Troll that starts just refused to die. Right about then MV showed up.

So we regrouped, and played a three person game.

Me - Lore/Spirit (Utility/Card Draw/Threat Management)
JP - Tactics/Leadership (Elf Archers)
MV - Tactics/Leadersip (Dwarf/Weapons)

This was a great game. We cleared up one rule about engagement which helped things alot, and we killed the stupid Hill Troll on turn one! Thanks to the dwarves and elves working together. My deck focused on giving healing and card draw, and questing. Their decks killed anything that dared show its face on the board. Some really well timed Hail of Stones and archery based cards from JP took out threats before they became threats.

We managed the first stage without terribly much trouble. The second when lots of creatures show up with even less trouble. We were starting to stack Locations however which was starting to make Questing harder to do. Then the final stage where you have to finish off whatever monsters are left was a piece of cake, the only down side was a lucky Shadow cards that helped a Orc Captain kill Gloin off at the very absolute last second of the game. We won with a Victory point of 108-14 I think the number was, I can't remember exactly. It was a solid victory.

So we managed to escape the dangers of Mirkwood and sail down the Anduin to the Golden Wood. Next time we gather our forces for an attack/scout on Dol Guldur the Necromancer's Tower!

Afterwards we did some deck tweaking, JP made about a 5 card change, MV did more than that, perhaps 12 cards or so, and I did about a 6 card update/change to mine. I hope by dropping some of the chaff from the wheat we will streamline things a bit. I turned my deck focus more on dealing with quest items since those guys so easily kill off the enemies. Something that we found that was awesome Sentinel and Ranged, which allowed JP to defend or attack monsters that were engaged with other players. Really added to the punch of his deck and helped keep things nice.

Looking forward to a few games with Bren maybe on Friday.

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Re: Greater Binghamton Area - Card Group

Post by jigglypuff69 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:54 pm

That game is awesome! Co-op is always the way to go and once you get the rules down, it was a breeze. Ton of fun and a very enjoyable night with the guys!
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...