The Duff House - A Game of Thrones LCG

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

The Duff House - A Game of Thrones LCG

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:32 pm

Game #1 (Demo)

Decks:

Jason: Lannister
Lindsay: Stark

The game started out close with me being able to complete various intrigue challenges against House Stark, who is strong will military challenges. Over the course of the game Jon Snow started to trouble me as he would win challenges and get power for participating in them. My best commodity was the Knight of Flowers card that gains power if he's standing during the dominance phase. She also had a Stark location that gave all her Stark cards +1 ST, which was troublesome.

Eventually an important round came when it was like 10 power (me) to 13 power (her). At the time I had Lannisport Brothel and was able to kneel a character in the Standing Phase of each round. Typically I was kneeling Rob Stark as he can choose what character to kill if he wins a military challenge. However, at this point I had Ilyn Payne who can be knelt during the marshaling phase and kill a character with 2 or less strength. The problem was that Rob, a 2 Strength Character, had a +1 from the Stark holding I mentioned earlier. Therefore I played a plot card that gave -1 Strength to all characters without the Intrigue challenge option. Rob only has Military and Power. Therefore his strength was 2.

At the same time I knew I could kneel Rob continuously with my Lannisport Brother card, and Rob is only effective if he can be apart of military challenges, with him knelt, he couldn't do anything. My attention then focused to Jon Snow, who at the time had 5 of her 12 power on his card, getting those by participating in winning challenges. If I would be able to kill him, she would lose 5 power, that would be bad for her. Jon Snow has a starting strength of 3, no intrigue challenge ability, and is not a House Stark Card. With my plot card he had a strength of 2, and Ilyn Payne could kill him.

So I knelt Rob Stark the previous round and played my plot card, giving -1 ST to character with no intrigue. I was basically only caring about killing Jon Snow. During the marshaling phase I knelt Ilyn Payne and declared his action against Jon. Lindsay was irked and went to toss away her power and card into the dead pile when she remembered her Ghost card. Ghost may knell in order to save a Knight's Watch character from being killed. Jon Snow is a knight's watch character. Therefore she knelt Ghost and I was screwed.

I didn't have that chance again as that plot card was buried for at least another 4 rounds. I was able to keep kneeling a lot of her characters with my Lannisport Brothel and Cersei Lannister which can pay 2 gold to kneel a character during the Dominance phase. I was able to keep gaining power with the Knight of Flowers, and typically win Dominance. I thought I might be able to hold her off. She has 14 power and I had 11. Unfortunately, on the last round she brought Ned Stark into play with the renown keyword, when renown character come into play they get 1 power immediately. I lost. Boooh!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Duff House - A Game of Thrones LCG

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:22 pm

How is the game in general? Mechanics and such?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:28 pm

I don't really have much experience with the other systems, so all I can base it on is this.

First thing, the video tutorial for the game is pretty good about give you the basics. The tutorial is only about 15 minutes long, and split up considering each phase of the game. It was very helpful. I've still not been able to find anything like that concerning L5R, which I have cards for but never played.

I like the game, and from what I can tell, I think it is pretty cool. You can really effect the game in each phase, depending on your character abilities and event cards. You can pretty much do a player action almost at any time in the round, which makes it interesting. Some cards I found very odd, and with us just starting, questioned exactly how some might work. But overall it wasn't too difficult.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:27 am

There are some video tutorials, in fact L5R had a contest to submit them. I'll find the links for you.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:38 am

Nice. Maybe we can play some L5R as well.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 am

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:43 am

Official Game #1

Lindsay: House Targaryen
Jason: House Greyjoy

This was our first official game with the real cards. No more learner games, these count! My House Greyjoy deck was built to win on unopposed challenges. But at the beginning of the game I couldn't get initiative. Lindsay kept getting initiative with her plot cards and her agenda card gave her +2 gold per round when she earned initiative. She raced out to a 6 - 0 power lead.

Finally I got initiative. By that time I did have some very good characters out. Euron Crow Eye gives stealth to all Greyjoy characters if he's standing, Balon Greyjoy has renown, and cannot be defended with anyone with lower strength, and Wyx Pyke cannot be defended by anyone without crests. I also had two warship cards that gave +2 strength to one participating character each. My agenda was +1 power for unopposed challenges, I also had a plot card that did the same.

Once I had initiative I didn't let go. She must have used her high initiative cards early. My strategy become pretty simple. I would use Wyx Pyke first with a military challenge, however, he had stealth because of Euron Crow Eye. I would use it on her only character with a crest (Randyl Tarly). After that, she had no one to defend because of Wyx's special ability. That allowed me to get an unopposed challenge each time and kill one her guys off with only a 1 strength card. I would follow up with a power challenge with Balon Greyjoy, who I would get +2 strength to make him a strength 5 card. She had no character with five strength. Therefore he could not be defended. He would get 1 power for the power challenge, 1 power for renown, 1 power for an unopposed challenge, and 1 power for my agenda card. Plus I was winning dominance and getting a power.

She slowed me down just a bit by winning an unopposed challenge and taking my agenda card for a round, plus she was able to put some conditions on a few of my cards, but it didn't matter. I used an event card that let me kneel two ironborn characters after I won dominance to give me two power. That made it 14 to 6. In the last round, she was able to kneel Wyx, but couldn't stop Balon from finishing her off with his unopposed challenge.

Winner: House Greyjoy: 15 - 6

Record: 1 - 0

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:24 am

Official Game #2

Lindsay: House Targaryen
Jason: House Greyjoy

Pretty much the same as last game, except Lindsay had gotten Jon Snow out of her deck and was able to win power with him. Eventually, I was able to get unopposed challenges and won a tightly contested game in 7 rounds. Lindsay complains that I stole all the good cards from the Kings of the Sea Expansion deck ;) So the next two games I'll be using her Targaryen deck and her my Greyjoy deck.

Winner: House Greyjoy: 15-11

Record: 2-0

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:28 am

If you let her win a game once and a while, she'll keep playing , its what I do to MadVlat ;)

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:29 am

Unfortunately, I think she might be right about the decks being slightly unbalanced. We're playing from the same pool of cards in general.