Greater Tioga County Area Gaming Group

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Greater Tioga County Area Gaming Group

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:21 pm

Half of us have kids. But most only has one person who games. So the person who doesn't gets to babysit. ;)
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:18 pm

We started our Descent 2nd Edition Campaign this week.

A Fat Goblin was our opening quest, chosen by our esteemed Overlord Eilandor.

After venturing to the dungeon with no encounters in the wilds we found ourselves a farmer....

Reports of goblins besieging the farmlands north of Arhynn have brought you here, and judging by the smell of smoke in the air, none too soon! You ready your weapons an rush forward, only be met by blood-spattered man in rough, simple clothes.

"Goblin," he shouts. "They're stealin' everything what isn't nailed down an' burnin' what is! They've got me brother; they've got Frederick!"

You'd best save what crops you can, or Arhynn will have a hungry winter. But what could be making the goblins so voracious?

Our group consists of:

Eilandor - The Evil Overlord

Vardaen - Ahrian (Healer/Spiritspeaker)

PrincessMagnet - Syndrael (Warrior/Knight)

ChefBoyRD - Wido Tarha (Wizard/Necromancer)

CrashTestDummy - Avaric Albright (Healer/Cleric)

The quest objective was to stop the goblins from stealing the crops. We had to get past some big ugly monsters to the fields. While the goblins were grabbing the crops and running away with them. Only 4 crop tokens were on the map, and the goblins nearly escaped with one before Ashrain was able to use her power to stun all the goblins. That let her catch up to the one that nearly escaped and grab the crop while the rest of the party killed the other goblins or handled collecting the other crops.

It looked bleak for the heroes at the start, but in the end we saved all 4 bundles of crops!!! There was a good swing of boar control at one point, and I think our Overlord wasn't too happy that he didn't manage to kill any of us or steal the crops. He did however shatter our skeleton familiar and beat on Ashrain pretty good in the last turns of the game, but Good Triumphed!

The blood-spattered farmer staggers forward again. "Me brother," he sobs. "They came for him, grabbed him an' a bunch more besides. He weren't always a farmer like me, m'lords. Frederick was a Shadow Binder, just like that poor sod got killed in 'is caravan outside Arhynn last week. They was friends! Why is them goblins killin' an' steelin' all be brother's friends?"

Clearly, the Overlord is interested in this man. You'd best get him to safety.

So far fun game, I would suggest you pick it up if you have a local group:
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/p ... d-edition/
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:28 pm

Descent 2nd Edition Continues - A Fat Goblin Part 2

Our intrepid heroes saved the farmer and his crops from the thieving goblins, but there seems to be more to it than that.

The goblins were not hard to follow, and now you edge cautiously into acave in the Caedyn Wood. Ahead, you hear a deep laughter and a croaking voice, "Bring me the prisoners. One of them is the Shdow Binder! So speaks Splig, King of All Goblins!"

You'd better hurry and take out Splig, whoever he is, before he figures out which of the farmers is Frederick!

So Syndrael, the Widow Tarha, Ashrain, and the one armed Pimp Avric Albright race to the dungeon to try and save the farmers (or at least Frederick). They dove into the cave to find the entrance filled with giant spiders, and behind them a room full of zombies. Further in the goblins, lead by Splig torture and interrogate the prisoners until they find the man they are looking for (and we assume eat the rest of them).
Image The Overload has decided that he hates Ashrain and her Stunning ability, so he focus every single attack for the entire encounter on the Spiritspeaker. It would result, through the course of the game, of her being knocked out not once, not twice, not thrice, but 4-ice! Luckily the party cleric remains far away from the Spiritspeaker so he can't really heal her much, and the Widow Tarha hogs a healing potion never sharing it that would clearly keep Ashrain up and functioning much better. The spiders are slain and the zombies too, Ashrain discovers a Scorpion Helm among the zombie's belonging that she shares with the Widow, and in return gets only mocking from the orcish necromancer and her skeletal lover.
Image It doesn't take Splig long (2 rounds) to find the man he's looking for, then the goblins and Splig press forward choking the halls, and putting on a burst of speed to escape with the man. Lukcily for the heroes Ashrain can stunn from a distance once, and she knocks Splig out, giving Syndrael and Avaric time to get into position to block. They lay the smack down on the goblin leader while the others clean up the lesser goblins in the way. A few seriously good hits from Syndrael and Splig is defeated, he leaves Federick and runs for it escaping into the wild without his prize.

The self-styled "king" hurls his prisoner to the ground. "Have him, then!" he bellows. "But you shall never defeat Splig, King of All Goblins!" Then, putting on a surprising turn of speed for a goblin of such impressive girth, Splig rushes out the door.

A big man with a scarred face and white in his hair steps forward to address you. "Thank you, heroes. Reminds me of meself at a younger age. Take me to the Barons...seems I've still got work to do."

Afterwards the group learns from their experience and Tarha's bond with her skeleton grows making it stronger, while Syndrael perfects a new shield bash that can stun foes. The group goes shopping selling all those potions they didn't think to use in the dungeon and they buy the Immolation spell for Tarha to use in her attacks that seems pretty damn potent.
Image In the end Ashrain did "all" the work, took all the beating, and got none of the rewards!

Next time they think it might be time to visit a friend in a nearby castle....
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:34 pm

Image We had a little family game night over the weekend, where kids and parents played some various family friendly games like Trivial Persuit Family Edition, King of Tokyo and Muchkin. We also then had a game of Axis and Allies (my first time) where it was Dads vs Sons. The sons wanted to do it this way, so we did. It was both fun crushing your son's tank army into the ground and also a little sad to see him upset when he lost his capital to your massed blitzkrieg of tanks and infantry.

This was my first time playing A&A and while it was a 'shorter' game because of kids vs adults I could give it a second try with all adults. I'm sure it would last several game sessions that way.

Dad's were the Axis Powers (Germany and Japan)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:30 pm

Eilandor couldn't make it this week so we flipped back to Pathfinder Adventure Card Game!

We had a player swap and removed Mr. Miyagi for CrashTestDumby as our group's wizard Ezren. This would be CrashTest's first PFACG experience even though he owns the game. So after leveling him up and giving him the basic rule set we dove into the next adventure.

We were playing Foul Misgivings:
We had to try and find the Skinsaw Man and stop his reign of terror. As we searched the town for him we encountered Haunts that would make things difficult for us, and a revenant appeared that if we talked her down would help us hunt for the man that killed her.
Image This was a pretty good adventure, it was a bit hard as Iesha required diplomatic checks and we are not all that diplomatic of a party, but we managed. A few lucky checks and we closed down some locations early and then kept at it through town. We were able to defeat Iesha most of the time but every search turned up nothing until late in the game. When we final found the Skinsaw Man we had only 3 turns left but we were able to defeat him!

We discovered after the game that Amaris had forgotten to level up for a few missed adventures so we did that, and the rest of us all got a new skill feat which was nice. The new guy liked the game, and we hardly even busted on Eliandor for not being there!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:52 pm

Did up some more custom cards for the Grey Company Podcast Book Club. Chapter 6-7, In the House of Tom Bombadil and the Barrow Downs. I didn't get into 7 yet, but here are the cards that I was sinpired to make for Chapter 6.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:57 pm

Our local group has been playing Pathfinder still, and are making our way through AP #2 but we have been distracted by Star Realms

http://www.starrealms.com/

Go get this, its free on the App Store, it's only $15 for the card set. A great fun game for 2 players, add another pack for up to 4, etc...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:40 pm

So I haven't posted much here of late, but we continue to play every week, give or take with summer vacations. Our focus has been the LotR LCG or Pathfinder ACG. In the Pathfinder game we have managed to make it to campaign box 4, and have been doing well and really having a fun time with it. That is until last night.
Image The dice gods finally got pissed at us and we began to fail many more rolls than before. Wisdom seems a key that few of us have, and when the Harpies arrive to mess up location all hell can break loose. It was our first lost, we just ran out of time on the blessing deck, and so we failed the mission. What hurts more than that was our Charmed Red Dragon Ally got ticked at us, breathed fire on all of us and then fled (thanks to Eilandor's dice rolling skills ;) )
Image Things certainly get a bit harder at this level!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:28 pm

Last night was two new games, both I would suggest to people.

The first was Codenames. I'd been hearing about this for a while, and at GenCon they put out Codenames Pictures, and when a local store had it on sale I picked it up.

This is a team game, plays best with 4 and up. The complexity of this is deceptive. It seems easy, but you start playing and you find it has more to it. One person on each team is giving clues to words on the table that you want your teammates to choose, while not choosing the wrong ones, and while racing the other team before they get theirs. We had a good time with it, and will play it again. Its short too, so it works as a before or after game when you don't have too much time left in a session but still want to play something.

The other was Thunderstone Advanced: Numenera.

This is older, been out a while by AEG before they stopped being good. Its based on Thunderstone, 2-5 players. A deck builder where you don't directly attack or mess with the other players beyond stealing cards from the pool from them or killing off the monsters they might want to try. This one has the Numenera theme to it, which I only know a little of but seems cool. Anyhow, it seemed rather complex too, with a lot of card set up but in the end it wasn't bad and we were able to really give it a good go without having to go back to the rule book too much.

If you like the deck building sort of game, and one without the 'screw your neighbor' feel to it, this is good.

Both games we are going to give another try to.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:56 pm

Codenames: Pictures what the hotness at Gencon.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name