WH40K Conquest - OCTGN

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

WH40K Conquest - OCTGN

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:58 pm

Image Conquest is a fairly new LCG (Living Card Game) by FFG (Fantasy Flight Games) set in the grim universe of Warhammer 40,0000. So far its pretty good! For fans of 40K or of LCGs its worth checking out. Unfortauntely I haven't had a chance to play this much, out local group has been slow during the Holiday season, and since its 2 players only people have to sit out so other than demoing it we haven't had much play time.

However, all that is about to change, for Conquest is on OCTGN! Octogon, as people call it, is a PC based card game table top where you can play people in real time. OCTGN has dozens of games on it, Magic, L5R, Game of Thrones, LotR, Netrunner, etc...

So I played my first OCTGN Conquest game last night, it was mostly learning how to use OCTGN for Conquest, because I got my backside handed to me, but the guy I was playing was super nice about teaching me how to use OCTGN.

So, if anyone is interested in playing this, or LOTR LCG (Also by FFG) on OCTGN I am totally up for it. All this Conquest stuff lately has turned me back onto Dawn of War 2 as well so I'm back playing MP on there if anyone wants to try that too.

Install OCTGN from here first.

OCTGN: http://www.octgn.net/

This link tells you how to load Conquest into OCTGN. You can also find the image pack in the Imperial Library, which has the card images for the Core set but not the new war pack.

Conquest: http://www.brianathomas.com/archives/20 ... -to-octgn/

A great site for making decks offline is Card Game DB, it has some great articles, podcasts, forums, and deck building tool.

http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html

Look me up, message me here, facebook or whatever, and we can set up a game and try our luck at it! I'm Vardaen on OCTGN (and pretty much any game forum any place).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: WH40K Conquest - OCTGN

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:12 am

That actually sounds pretty cool. Is there any cost to use that platform? Do they have an android/tablet client yet?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:58 am

The OCTGN for Android is only a spectate option, you can't actually play on it like you can with some other systems. This is all a free piece of software maintained by fans and the like as far as I know.

FFGs official policy on the matter is, you need to own the cards at home first. They also don't approve of using the card art of a set until six months after its release in retail. You can still play without the art because all the text is there, you can also find censored art online which contains some but not all of what you'd want. The Imperial Library has what you'd want.

CardGameDB has a real nice deck building/card filter that you can make OCTGN decks, export them in OCTGN format for easy use.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:00 am

I also added a handful of decks I've made, but haven't used yet just to get you started.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:09 am

I just watched over the video. It's basically like a Google hangout right? The system doesn't actually enforce/use the rules of the each game. It has the card databases, but it's mostly just a chat interface.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:23 am

The game tracks and calculates spending resources, drawing cards, collecting command control win resources, new turn collection, shuffling, discarding at random, etc. However things like combat, or rules and reactions and other game play items are not controlled so its very much a virtual table top with some math done for you.

Its not like say Hearthstone where everything is controlled by the computer.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:33 am

OCTGN is 100% free.

The good thing is, whatever card images you use, they are local to your machine. No one else can see what packs you're using. All cards you see are from your local account. This means you can scan your own images, or find ones that you like and use them.

I have used OCTGN for a long time. I play A Game of Thrones LCG, Star Wars LCG, Conquest 40k LCG, Doomtown ECG, and Netrunner LCG.

I have played, in passing, CoC LCG and LOTR LCG.

Let me know if you're interest for a game as well.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:54 am

Tet we have to play some 40k

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:33 pm

Sure. Let's figure out a good time. I broke down all my decks so I need to rebuild something. Maybe next week sometime?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:05 pm

As long as its not too close to Xmas next week. I'll have time Sunday night if anyone is up for that, wife is working so I'll be around.

Luckily for OCTGN once you make a deck you just keep it, and make a new one, no need to share cards between them! I put up 7 decks, one per faction, just for starter type things if people wanted a quick deck to use.