WH40K Conquest - OCTGN

This forum is for use by groups of folks who want to help organize their local gaming groups. If you have some people in your area and you want to organize game play at the table you can post to this forum!
Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: WH40K Conquest - OCTGN

Post by Bo » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:35 am

It was a good game. My gamble didn't pay off. If you would not have drawn Yoda and Luke and I would have drew Vader it may be a different story!
~Bo~

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:45 am

I plan on setting up a league for us. Feel free to invite anyone from RL that wants to play. We'll need to get some ground rules down, etc.

There's lots of LCGs out there, so I think we should agree on what games can be 'scored'.

Options include, WH40K Conquest, SW LCG, AGOT LCG, Netrunner LCG, and Doomtown.

These are games I play and can teach people. If there are other games you'd like to include, please let me know.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:47 am

I created a league website for us.

http://www.leaguelineup.com/brennors

Not really sure what we'll use it for at this point.

Brennor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Brennor » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:12 am

Sounds like that was an interesting game. Especially with Yoda ping-ponging like that.
[url=telnet://brennor.dyndns.org:1896]Akarian Dawn MUSH[/url]
SRGC v0.22: SR2+++ SR3++ h+ b+++ UB+ IE+ RN W+ dk+ ri+ ad+ m+ gm+ M- P+

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:32 am

I will have to check that site out Tet. Eliandor amd i played Conquest and i beat him but it was his 2nd game.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:39 am

It is just a skeleton for what we can do with it.

Wulf and I played Netrunner today again. I'll post a recap. Was a fun game. Wulf's just learning the rules and stuff at this point.

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Bo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:23 pm

How different are the games from each other?
~Bo~

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:56 pm

Pretty different. Netrunner is completely different AGOT is more similar. Conquest is pretty different.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:55 pm

I've decided to go ahead and write an introduction for each game.

The five games I will be discussing are A Game of Thrones LCG, Star Wars LCG, Netrunner LCG, WH40k Conquest LCG and Doomtown Reloaded ECG. All games, save Doomtown, are made by FFG. Doomtown Reloaded is made by AEG.

A Game of Thrones LCG is FFGs first LCG and was first created as a CCG. For those that don't know, LCGs come in a format where each pack you buy has set cards. You will always know what you're getting. CCGs are basically random, many card games, such as Magic the Gathering, Legend of the Five Rings, etc, follow this format.

A Game of Thrones is a very complicated game with a large card pool. You select one House Card affiliation (Stark, Baratheon, Targeryn, Martel, Greyjoy, Lannister or Neutral) and may play any matching faction for list cost (Each card has a gold cost).

There are various phases in the game, Plot - Draw - Marshalling - Challenge - Dominance - Standing - Taxation. I won't get into details about everything. However, there is only one win condition in the game, and that is gaining 15 power tokens among your house card, characters, locations, etc. There are many ways you can gain power tokens.

In the Plot Phase, you reveal one card from your plot deck which you select. These cards give you your gold, initiative, and claim for the turn. More on claim later. They also typically have special text that aid you on your turn.

Example of a Plot Card:

Each player reveals plot cards in order of their initiative (the highest initiative chooses the First Player). After that, you move to Draw, which you typically draw 2 cards and add it to your hand.

Marshalling is the next phase where you pay for characters, locations or attachments from your hand and put them into play.

The Challenge phase is where stuff typically happens. Where you fight against your enemy. Typically, there are 3 different challenge types. These are: Military (Red), Intrigue (Green) and Power (Blue).

If you win a military challenge as the attacker, the defender must place one character he has in play into his Dead Pile. If you win an Intrigue attack as the attacker, you may discard one card from his hand at random, and if you win a power challenge as the attacker, you take one power token from the loser's House Card and place it on your own House Card. If the claim on your Plot card is different than 1, you either kill, discard, or take whatever the claim is set as. Each character has a strength value. You must beat or tie the defenders strength to win the challenge. In order to use a card, you must kneel them. Typically, a knelt card cannot be used again your turn. They cannot attack again, nor can they defend later. Also, you typically can only attack with one of each challenge type on your turn.

Example of Character w/ all 3 Icons:

The next phase is Dominance. Dominance is simply a calculation where you add your standing character's strength and gold. Whomever has the highest number gains a power.

After that is Standing, where all knelt characters stand. And finally, Taxation, where any gold that a player had is returned to the gold pool. After the turn ends, you move back to plots where you select a new plot card for the next turn.

This continues until someone has 15 power. The game ends immediately if someone claims 15 power.

The only card I did not mention are event cards. Unlike some games, event cards can be played at any time, on your own turn, or another player's turn, based on the text of the card.

Example of an Event Card:

This has been a basic primer for the A Game of Thrones LCGs. Feel free to ask me questions.

Extras:

Wiki about the Game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Game_of_ ... rd_game%29

FFG Website:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ones%20LCG

Upcoming Second Edition Website:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... %20Edition

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:30 pm

We should start playing some Vampire: The Eternal Struggle as well. It's designed for multi-player and can be a riot to play. Originally published circa '96 it had you the player donning the role of a Methuselah vampire who sets out their minions to wreak havoc on their rivals, i.e. other players.

THE WIKI LINK HERE tells you more about the game, though it's concept is pretty much simple and the game itself plays a bit like Legend of the Five Rings and Magic. You have a Blood Pool which consists starting off at 30 tokens. These are pretty much both your Life and Mana reserves. You spend these tokens on procuring minions, equipment, agendas, etc. to better yourself and standing.

What I loved most about the game was how it allowed you to work the table socially (establishing alliances, sneaky cross dealings, etc.) but remaining focused primarily on two things: A) The person to your left (i.e. your Prey and target of trying to oust from the game) and B) The person to your right (i.e. your Predator and person trying to oust YOU from the game.)

The game has several ways of winning as well, the foremost two being a political win (somewhat tricky and only specifically "ranked" cards can even hold weight during such maneuvers) and bleeding your prey into submission (kicking him out of the game in the process). The bleeding process itself is a hoot, you can either try to be sneaky and deceptive - bypassing your opponent's defenses entirely - or bloody and brutal - through combat that pummels an opponent's defenders into torpor stupor thereby leaving him defenseless against further bleeding attempts.

I used to play this game alot, alongside L5R, and some others. I really dug this one and would love to try and see if we could learn the latest rules together.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!