Discipline of Black Magic: With Friends Like These

Beyond the boarders of the Emerald Empire lies a vast and diverse world centered around the Burning Sands -- a place cursed by Shilah the Sun and Kaleel the Moon. For too long the Samurai in Rokugan have remained ignorant of the greater world around them.
A danger is rising, but is it too late for the children of the Kami? Only you know that answer.Run by the Game Master Moto Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Discipline of Black Magic: With Friends Like These

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:27 am

Image "A man without needs is a man that cannot be tempted."
-Hensatti
Three Months Ago...

The smell of coffee fills the small room in an unmarked coffee house in the southern districts of Medinaat al-Salaam, the Jewel of the Desert. Seated at a small table for two is a larger hardy looking bearded man. Dressed in fine clothing with a white silken turban head wrap the man stuffs dates into his mouth one after the other hardly even chewing them before he swallows. He is known among the Qabal as "The Dealer", his real name is unknown except by those of the highest ranking among the order. He sits waiting for the arrival of Halil Rakscha, the young man who's training is complete, and has proven himself in the last few months to be both ruthless and effective in his work.

The Dealer looks up as the door to the coffee house opens and in steps Halil...

This is the solo thread for mackaber's character Halil the Qabal Agent. This thread will be short scenes that move rather quickly (I hope) into the present time setting the stage for the events to come.

Mackaber, please post your arrival with a nice detailed phsyical description.
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Discipline of Black Magic: With Friends Like These

Post by mackaber » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:08 am

... Rakscha, a slender man of average height, dressed in simple brown trousers and a white cotton shirt steps into the coffee shop. His short pointy nose sniffs the air wearily while his brown eyes scan the perimeter not paying the fat man eating dates any heed as he steps inside. He stands there for a moment mustering all persons in attendance with merely a glance before sitting down before the man all only know as "the dealer" looking him in the eyes only now. As the fat man seems unwilling to speek Halil merely strokes his beard slowly for a fe mments before speaking: "You wished to see me? How can I be of assistance?"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:09 pm

"Sit Effendi, we have much to speak about." The Dealer motions at the other side of the table for Halil to sit at. "You have proven yourself rather inventive in your craft, and you are to be rewarded for it." He takes another date out of the bowl and pops it into his mouth without biting it in half. "You see, we have a job for you, a job that if you complete well shall seal your reputation among the Qabal forever." He lifts his eyebrows in excitement.

Just then a server arrives at the table and sets down a copper coffepot and two cups for your use. A small jar of honey is provided as well as a saucuer of goat's milk. The Dealer gives the woman a few pool and she is on her way.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:20 pm

Halil remains unimpressed by the dealer's words silently wondering how a man carrying around his emotions so blantly has been able to become such a famed figure. Then again perhaps he has another trick up his sleeve Halil thinks as he takes a small spoon of honey to sweeten his cofee. After a long drawn out silence in which Halil merely swirls the spoon in his coffee he smiles. "Wonderful. How then may I help you?" while there seems to be note of excitment in Halil's voice he is merely playing along carefully studying the fat man for any signs as he raises the coffee cup and takes the slightest of sips.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:30 pm

"Not I Halil, but yourself, and you masters." The Dealer is well known among the Qabal as a high ranking member of that order, but how well known he is outside the Qabal is something else. "You see a rather important customs agent has just recently lost his personal assistant to a most unfortunate accident. It seems the young man was bitten by a viper and died of the poison in the market place the other day. Perhaps you heard the news of this?" He doesn't wait for an answer, "You Halil were that man's cousin, and you Halil will take his place, befriend the customs officer, and learn his ways, his patterns, and from time to time steer the man in ways favorable to the Qabal." He lifts one eyebrow, "Do you understand?"

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:32 pm

Halil nods silently at the dealers words he had heard of the incident but nothing more. After the dealer is done speaking Halil inquires: "What can you tell me about my cousin and of my new employer?"
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:23 pm

The Dealer smiles as he eats another date. "Well, Jabiir was a good man, a good servant, never spoke out against his master. He was a talented singer..." For the next hour the Dealer tells Halil all he needs to know about his 'cousin' and very little about the Customs Officer. "You see we simply do not know enough about the man, that will be your job, to gather as much information about him as you can, and to try and find a weakness to exploit. He is married with two grown children that have moved on in their lives to bigger and better things. He is honest, hard working, that much we know, which has caused us no amount of trouble. He did speak very fondly of Jabiir at the funeral, and loved him greatly I believe. That shall be your way in, play on his sympathies and family loyalties. Oh yes, and he loves sugar dates."

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:43 pm

Halil listens intently to the dealer's words taking in all the details and making mental notes while already formulating a plan for his mission in his head. When the Dealer finishes his account of the customs officer Halil smiles. "Too bad the funeral has already been held and I had no time to attend it. Tell me where was my cousin put to rest and it seems you yourself are quite fond of sugar dates could you perhaps provide me with some from my home region?"
Just realized that precise memory would have been a pretty cool advantage to have for my character.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:55 pm

The Dealer smiles, he's already given Halil all the information about 'his cousin' he needs to know. The slightly rotund man smiles eating another of the dates, "This coffee house may be a bit out of the way, and rather poor with its quality of coffee, but it has some of the best sugar dates in all the city. In fact..." he nods toward the door where in walks a tall black haired man wearing a small red fez. The tiny hat on his head has a gold tassle that bobs along as he walks. His garments are somber hued, but well made and higher quality than you would expect from a patron of this unnamed coffee house. "...there is your new employer now. How fortunate that you happen to be here as well." He grins widely. "Remember Fadil bin Masruq is a noble and honorable man who loved your cousin very much. Do not fail us Halil, and we shall speak again soon enough." The Dealer motions for Halil to approach the man and begin his task.
Basically I'm letting you make up anything you want about Jabiir here so you can have fun with that. You'll need to talk to the Customs Offical and try and get hired in Jabiir's place...

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:39 pm

"I have my own ways of going about business" replies Halil as he shakes his head. "and randomly stumbling upon the cousin of my former dearest employee in a low down cafe is not a strategy I wish to pursue in this scenario..." with that he rises from his seat and disappears off into the city streets where he just another stranger who soon will become Faruk Habil's cousin from a nearby dates plantage.
Basically I'd like to follow the customs officer to his home where some time in the late evening hours I'll pay him a visit and bring him some tasty dates.
Big Pimpin...