Discipline of Black Magic: A Jackal's Pact

Beyond the boarders of the Emerald Empire lies a vast and diverse world centered around the Burning Sands -- a place cursed by Shilah the Sun and Kaleel the Moon. For too long the Samurai in Rokugan have remained ignorant of the greater world around them.
A danger is rising, but is it too late for the children of the Kami? Only you know that answer.Run by the Game Master Moto Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Discipline of Black Magic: A Jackal's Pact

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Initiate of Undeath: Rank/Earth 5k3 = 31! (13,9,9,5,1) Success.

-1 Stamina for Adbal. Reducing his Earth 1 Rank.

1 of 3 Uses Used

Check your sheet, I added this to the Spell section for tracking purposes.

It doesn't say it doesn't effect Earth, so by dropping his stamina you also drop his Earth and in turn drop his wounds per level! This power becomes rather potent.
The Sanke steps forward, his left hand turning black with necromantic energy, his bluff that he's angry isn't hard to pull off and the twitchy Jackal beings to cower. As the black energy around The Snake's hand leaches forward it grabs hold of the other man's heart and sucks the stamina right out of him, draining him, and sending him scampering back falling to the ground crying out, "NO NO I didn't take anything I didn't DO anything! Please stop! PLEASE NO NO! I'm loyal! I swear, PLEASE STOP!" His features turn pale, and his face sinks in some as he's being sucked dry of his life and his filled with utter terror.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:52 am

The Snake shows the first true emotion for the first time in this meeting - Pity, with perhaps a tinge of Regret. "I know, I believe you, Abdal. You have been loyal. Unfortunately you know too much, and have become a liability. Know that this is not personal, and hopefully the afterlife will be a more just place than this one." With that he raises his spear and thrusts it deep into the chest of Abdal.
Damn I hate being the bad guy. Makes me feel icky inside. *chuckle* Playing this role is going to be a stretch. Oh well, Snakey Boy is an obedient little Necromancer. Full Attack, for the heck of it. All raises to extra damage. I want to finish him off swiftly, not make him suffer more.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Spear? I see a knife and a staff on your sheet. I'll go with knife since it makes more sense based on the stabbing action you posted.

Full Attack (2 Free Raises to Dmg)
Knife: Att 26 vs TN 10 Hit
Damage: 26 (1 Exploding Die) = DEAD!

Because his Stamina was reduced to a 1, he had almost no Wounds per Rank!
The Snake takes his knife and offers the Jackal an appolgy of sorts before he hoists his blade into the air. The man is already grovelying and drained of his stamina, and so is an easy kill. The black plunges down into the one eyed man's chest killing him in one swift stroke. He lays there on the ground bleeding, gurggling up blood from his mouth whispering something that can't be heard. A few moments later his twitching body lies still.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 pm

The Snake calmly wipes his blade on the dirty clothing of the corpse in front of him before returning it to its sheath at his side. He sighs for a moment, hoping that his fate in the future is not the same, his liability increasing beyond his usefulness. Oh well, no time to ponder such depressing thoughts. There is work to be done.

Even though he has only recently been able to begin controlling the ghuls that are frequently used as tools by the Jackals, he can tell that the amulet is significantly enhancing his abilities, perhaps even, he suspects, to the ability to actually raise the undead. Such an item is an extreme sign of trust by the Monkey Man, for items like this are not a copper a dozen.

Just to be careful, he again pulls out his knife and cuts the symbols for dominance and control into the corpse's forehead, and over its heart. Some think such things integral to the proper raising and control of the ghuls, while others disagree. Himself being a novice at such things, he isn't taking chances. He concentrates on the amulet, trying to feel out how it enhances his powers, and sends forth necromantic energy into the corpse. Rather than trying to such away its life, the purpose is instead to infuse unnatural life and control.
Yeah .... maybe the staff plus knife equals a spear? Maybe I thought I tied the knife to the end? Reminds me of this webcomic:

http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=710

Anyways, trying out the raising of the dead thing. Very creepy. So your original amulet post said that I could extend beyond one hour of control. I assume I'll be finding out the hard way exactly how long that control lasts? *laugh*
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:04 pm

The Snake has killed the twitchy one eyed man and cleans his blade off on the man's robe. Taking the amulet given him he places it over his neck and can feel the power coursing through it. There are some markings on it suggesting it is of Senpet design, not a surprise as that nation of people has long had a fascination with the dead. Carefull to remember all his training The Snake begins to carve symbols of controls and dominace on the flesh of the dead Jackal at his feet. He's not taking any chances.

The Snake begins chanting the ritual of undeath to raise the man as a Ghul. He can feel the power of the amulet at work, and really Besnik is doing little of the animating power. It seems that the amulet, in the prescene of a newly killed man, wants to raise them a Ghul. No doubt the man has also lead a terrible and vile life, always making it easier to raise the body in the afterlife. Black and amber energy crackles about the sewer tunnel and the corpse.

"Gahaha..." the nameless corpse rises as a living undead.
Same as controling them right now.

Earth/Necro = 5k3 vs TN 20. I'm spending a Void for you. 6k4 = 23 (1 die exploded, the rest were mostly 1s!) Success

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm

While rather amazed that the trinket has allowed him to fully raise a fresh kill as an undead, the Snake quickly moves beyond those paltry feelings and gets back to work. He gathers up his things, carefully hefting the soul jar and studying the map. The strong thread of necromantic energy connecting him to the new ghul reassures him that the creature will not be turning on him soon.

"Come, Abdal," he says, rather vaguely, "we have work to do." Now familiarized with the map, he heads towards the indicated passageway to begin the digging. He will likely have to recruit more 'helpers', in one fashion or another, but best to know the area first before getting more assistants.
Sorry for the absense. Lots of stuff hit at once. Computer dying (should be fixed by early next week, borrowing one right now), health problems (migraines and stuff), and some family issues. Should be getting back into my stride soon.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:05 pm

Sorry to hear about the troubles. We'll manage keep moving forward dispite the troubles. Hope things gett better.

This scene will be indiciative of things to come so after this I'm going to do a littl storytelling and fast forwarding.
The Snake seems rather amazed at the raising of the ghul, "Come Adbal..." The ghul nods and hisses following along sort of limping as he goes. The Jackal Necromancer heads toward the tunnel where he needs to start digging and finds that it is a section of tunnel half sunken under years of sewage waste. The smell is terrible, but Abdal doesn't even notice. Putting the ghul to work scouting the passage and plumbing the depth of the water it is totally soaked now but still it doesn't care.

There is a grunting noise behind the pair, and turning to look The Snake spots an other Ghul moving forward violent lurching forward, "Fresh....meat..." it manges out of its mostly toothless mouth. It doesn't seem the Snake will have to wait long to find more helpers! If they don't eat him first.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:29 pm

The Snake's smile widens, glad for this newfound opportunity. Hunting down errand ghuls would have taken ages. If they keep coming to him, his task will go much faster. He grips the amulet with his left hand, extending his right palm towards the undead. "Heel, creature! And learn who your true master is!" His shout is accompanied by a whipcord of negative energy, attempting to latch on to the ghul. If he can manage the connection, it will enable him to direct the thoughts of the creature. If not, he'll be in for a fight.
Attempting to assume control. I'll throw in another void point, because I really don't want to fail that roll. Bite marks take so long to heal.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:42 pm

Rank 2 Tech w/ Void: 6k4 = 21 vs TN 20! WOW That was uber close, without the void you'd have failed, nothing over a 6 on the dice.
The Snake smiles, pleased to see them coming to him. He shouts at the creature to heel and whips a tendril of necromantic energy at it latching onto the creature. There is a moment where the pair struggle, and he can feel his need to keep control of Adbal draining his focus. He channels the power through the amulet and the Ghul staggers forward and comes to its knees only two feet infront of the Necromancer. Now with two Ghuls chained to his will the Jackal has doubled his work force.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:51 pm

The Necromancer shakes his head, not particularly liking how close that one came. His familiarity with the amulet's power is still obviously at a novice stage, and will require greater practice before he can truly master its abilities. Likely he will not want to try controlling more than one additional ghul at this time unless he wants to seriously risk failure. And given the ample timeline given him, the risk is not warranted.

"Alright," he says to his servants, "get to work digging out that tunnel." He mentally and verbally directs them to their new task, keeping an eye out for further surprises.
Basically get the work going. Going to conserve my last void point if possible, but will use it to get a 3rd ghul if it jumps out at me. Man, the dice are hating me right now. *laugh* Also need to test the time limits on how long the amulet extends my control duration. Might need to save the void point for reassuming control.