Discipline of Black Magic: A Jackal's Pact

Beyond the boarders of the Emerald Empire lies a vast and diverse world centered around the Burning Sands -- a place cursed by Shilah the Sun and Kaleel the Moon. For too long the Samurai in Rokugan have remained ignorant of the greater world around them.
A danger is rising, but is it too late for the children of the Kami? Only you know that answer.Run by the Game Master Moto Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Discipline of Black Magic: A Jackal's Pact

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:06 pm

The Snake stop to inspect the drawing, its writen on the top of the arch at the highest point over the sewer water, so getting close to it is impossible. The markings mean nothing to the Jackal, but he files away the shape and design for later, perhaps with some study at a library something might be found out about it.

The Ghul's back at the grate start to make a bit of noise shambing about. Something might be going on that warrents investigation.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Sighing in regret for having to cut short his new archeological discovery, the Snake hurries back to the main room. He mentally reasserts his dominance over the ghuls, ordering them to quiet down. He gets there as soon as possible, peering through the grate before slipping through.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:32 pm

Sighing The Snake hurries back to the Ghuls and reasserts his dominance over them. He squeezes through the iron grate but catches his robe on a rusty protrusion and rips a small piece off of it. Unaware that he's left this tiny piece of evidence behind he moves to stand under the floor. The noises of wagons and men can be heard from up above. Finally the cargo is arriving.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:05 pm

The Snake waits patiently, reading again his note. All it said was to gain access to the room and wait, cargo would be needed to evacuate through this area. He assumes a hole will be made and the goods lowered through, but he isn't about to get aggressive in gaining the cargo unless necessary. He waits for further information before acting.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:02 pm

The Snake has no need to wait, as he returns to the chamber, with the wooden roof above, he can hear and see people through the slats of the floor. Wagons are rolling into the room above, and the voice of authority giving orders. After some movement, boots, and various views up people's robes the Snake listens, "Lock this up, I'll post guards out here so nothing fishy happens until Fadil returns."

The sound of heavy doors closing echoes through the sewers and the unmistake sound of a big lock being closed is heard. Whatever the Jackal's want, its waiting above you now.

That is when a shadow lengthens on the wall, causing the Snake to turn around in a hurry. There is a man standing there, having arrived silently. He is well known among the Jackals, Master Saleh. The man has been gone from Medinaat al-Salaam for over a year now however, rumors suggest he was east in the lands known as Rokugan. But now here he stands, a crooked smile on his face. "Greetings Besnik. I see you have been busy in my absence, excellent."
He should be treated as a major authority figure among the Jackal Necromancers.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 04, 2010 2:00 am

The Snake decides to take a chance. After all, the Jackals value intelligence and a sly mind. He worries slightly that he will become like poor Abdal, but that is unlikely, since he is still useful. If Master Saleh has indeed been to Rokugan, he likely understands their language. To test that, Besnik responds in their foreign tongue. He has some of an accent, but he is fluent. With a deep bow, he says, "Konnichi wa, Saleh-sensei. Your travels have been quite fruitful, I surmise. Has our Lord sent you with further instructions?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue May 04, 2010 6:27 pm

I generally use the following convention for speaking in another langague. Either you can put it in a spoiler if you don't want others to read it that can't speak it like:
"I think Halil smells funny."]
Or you can do it like this in your post.

The Snake says, "<Rokugani>Hello and welcome to the show!"

It rarely comes up in L5R but hey you never know.
Master Saleh doesn't smile or make and facial changes when he hears Rokugani, he just lapses into the eastern language, "<Rokugani> They have been more interesting. The Dark Lord there is a...interesting man. They say he is a monsters, but I do not think he is anymore so than any other man." His accent isn't nearly as thick as The Snake's. Returning to the native speach of the Sands he looks up at the wooden ceiling. "I believe we are ready. The wagons above us are loaded with goods that we must have. Set your minions to work unloading them, be silent about it."
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri May 07, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue May 04, 2010 8:51 pm

The Snake bows in acquiescence, then looks up towards the heavy wooden ceiling. He scratches his jaw, thinking of the best course of action. He had seen no obvious openings, trap doors, or stairs leading up. He'd have to make the ghuls tear through the floor to get up, which would be less than silent. And he didn't exactly have woodworking tools with him. He paces around the room, looking for the best spot to gain access.
I'm a bit lost at this juncture on how to get up. I re-read the descriptions of the room, and see no way to get up without tearing through the floor, which is quite noisy. Maybe explore those side tunnels some more?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 05, 2010 7:24 pm

The Snake explores a bit to see if he can find a more silent way up, his search turns up a ancient hatch that does lead up into the chamber above. Without a complete search of the ceiling there is no way he would have noticed it from down here. It appears to actually latch from below, from this chamber, and he can guess that those above would not have any idea its even there so sly is the construction.

Master Saleh watches, the Snake search and gazes at the ghuls, "Your power is growing I see. Are we ready? I know the way our cargo should go."
Oopos my bad, I sort of forgot about that. :)

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu May 06, 2010 1:24 am

"Of course, Master Saleh. I am ready to start immediately." He carefully unlatches the hatch, going slow to avoid sound. He listens intently, double-checking there are no sounds of other humans above. Then he lowers the hatch and makes his way up to start the unloading process as swiftly and silently as possible.
Nice! No problem. I had thought perhaps I'd missed something, so I re-read all the room descriptions a couple times to see what I had overlooked. Glad to see everything's straightened out now.