Ring of Fire - Black Market Deals

Beyond the boarders of the Emerald Empire lies a vast and diverse world centered around the Burning Sands -- a place cursed by Shilah the Sun and Kaleel the Moon. For too long the Samurai in Rokugan have remained ignorant of the greater world around them.
A danger is rising, but is it too late for the children of the Kami? Only you know that answer.Run by the Game Master Moto Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Ring of Fire - Black Market Deals

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:43 am

We use Investigation/Perception (Notice) for 'spot' checks and the like. You can certainly ask for one, but I keep the roll secret and just present the narative results.

In this case I actually rolled this already, hence my post above of Otori not seeing the pair slip in the back, but Ryuichi seeing the men. It was really bad roll fo Otori, no exploding dice.

I will often send PMs to people that see hings the others don't too. This one of the cases where if there were 4 or 5 of you I'd just PM Haya tell him what he sees and leave it out compeltely in the post that others didn't notice. but with just 2 of you this works alright.
Otori's face contorts as he looks around at the three men at the front of the place. He comments as he scans the area for signs of others, but he's seconds late to notice the pair of men go in the back that Ryuichi sees.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:51 am

"He's probably talking to the ones who just slipped into the back of the building," Ryuichi offers. "The other ones are quite distracting and that's the reason why you didn't notice it. What're we going to do, Otori-san? You are the more experienced legionnaire."
Could be a simple Perception check. Or maybe investigation. Perhaps Otori didn't notice it for a reason. Like V did a covered dice roll.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:42 am

"Two slipped in the back you say? well that makes five in all I'm liking the odds" he shoots Ryūichi a grin. " I would suggest maybe you holding back and being my guardian in the shadows. But I don't know how you would feel about that plus you want to be there for the meet so you can learn as much as I in the conversation."

Otori takes a breath then speaks again. "Well there nothing for it I say we go right in if you have no objections ?"
That cool Vardaen! I was imagining you had done something along those lines anyway

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:36 pm

"Of course not, Otori-san," Ryuichi replies, looking at the back door. "You're the one who has been on duty in this city, so you know which course of action is the wisest."

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:11 pm

He Nods and at that heads for the sushi stands kitchen at the back. Trying to Pick a path that obscures himself and Kitsuki Ryūichi in the crowds of the bustling streets.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:21 am

The pair cross the street in a hurry keeping as low a profile as is honorable to do so. The two slip behind the shack and then to the door. Otori in the lead, he pushs open the door, with Ryuichi covering him.

With the door open the smell of cooking rice, a fire, and of raw fish escapes the shack's back door. Sliding it to the side Otori slips into the building, the Dragon hot on his heels.

Standing there in the middle of the room is Otori's contact, along with a bit of muscle. A ronin thug no doubt, except that he wears no daisho, but carries a pair of kama tucked into his belt. "Konichiwa Otori-sama." The merchant contact bows very shallowly, hardly at all really, just enough to not get his head taken off. "I was wondering if you were going to show up or not." The kama wearing ronin glances at Ryuichi, and without prompting sneers, "Who's this?" He sizes up what he suspects is the Hare's own personal muscle.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:24 pm

"I am but a servant of the Empire," Ryuichi says and looks at Usagi Otori. He hopes the man takes care of anything else since the Kituski wants to leave the talking to him. "Don't you recognize the mon of the 10th Legion."

From this point on he stays quiet, glancing back at the ronin, considering if he'll be fast enough to draw his kama, before Ryuichi can reach him with his own katana. Somehow he's curious how the fight would turn out between a Mirumoto-style samurai and a thug wielding a pair of the sickle-like weapons. Maybe they'll find out soon enough, the Kitsuki thinks, never letting the ronin out of his sight.

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:52 pm

"A thug who speaks out of line why you have found yourself a bold one merchant" Otori discretely insults the man back by placing emphases on his position within the celestial order instead of addressing him by his name.

"So no doubt you know why I have come and I suspect neither of us want to be here any longer than we have to. So tell me what recent events do you know of that may be of interest to the safety of this city?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 pm

The merchant takes the insult without blinking, he's used to these sort of games. "Yes, he is rather bold samurai-sama. Perhaps too much so. I shall have to speak to him about it if there is time." He folds his arms over his chest and watches Ryuichi.

The ronin thug doesn't care for the conversation going on and replies instead to Ryuichi. "Another corrupted Legionarrie. Why am I not supprised?"

The merchant continues on despite the interruption. "Things have been quiet lately samurai-sama. There is hardly anything to report. Perhaps you have something in mind?"

Kogaratsu
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kogaratsu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Otori scoffs " When is it ever quiet within the walls of this city. There is always something brewing. Perhaps I have something in mind? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that and I'm in no mood for petty games so how about you spare me and tell me what you do know..."