Ring of Earth - Descent into Darkness

Beyond the boarders of the Emerald Empire lies a vast and diverse world centered around the Burning Sands -- a place cursed by Shilah the Sun and Kaleel the Moon. For too long the Samurai in Rokugan have remained ignorant of the greater world around them.
A danger is rising, but is it too late for the children of the Kami? Only you know that answer.Run by the Game Master Moto Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Ring of Earth - Descent into Darkness

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:51 am

- The world is earth, eternal, immobile.

It has been three days since the Funeral of Usagi Hiroto, Governor of Owako Provice near Zakyo Toshi "Pleasure City". Since that time a quartet of Emerald Magistrates have finished what they started in their investigation that started with a Banraku Puppet of the Kurdoda Puppet Theater. That same theater has been shut down and all those involved have been rounded up and tried. Some of them were hung, others released as they were found innocent. The justice of the Emerald Magistrate is swift and decisive and for the first time in recent history the criminals in Pleasure City are on edge. With the help of the Imperial Legion the last loose ends are tied off.

One such loose end was missing delegations that were coming to the funeral of the former governor. Scouts had been sent out and returned with some troubling news. The local heimin population has been implicated in the missing courtiers. Worse yet not all of the scouts that were sent out have returned. Unwilling to let things degenerate any further Hiruma Umeko has taken a small group of Legionaries and has left the city in search of the missing scouts.

Present Day, 11th Day of the Month of the Dog, Late Summer, Imperial Legion Barracks, Zakyo Toshi "Pleasure City"

Shinjo Kadoma, the Imperial Legion Taisa in charge of the troops in Zakyo Toshi has sent a request to speak to you, at your next available opportunity. It so happens that you have found the time now, an hour after breakfast. So it is that you find your way into his office at the barracks. The Unicorn Taisa is pacing the room, a small piece of paper in his hands. As you enter he turns and bows deeply, "Domo Arigato Emerald Magistrate-samas for coming to see me so quickly. I believe I have something you will want to see." He holds out his hand and offers the small scrap of paper to you. It is a rolled scroll, taller than half and inch in height with five words write on it.

"Need help. Send reinforcements quickly."
Welcome to the next chapter! Umeko has now been officially written out of the group. The next mystery begins, enjoy!
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Ring of Earth - Descent into Darkness

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:56 am

After issuing proper greetings to the Taisa, Eisai takes the note, glances at it, and hands it to the other magistrates. "This is most troubling," he says in his understated way. "Is this from your scouting party? How did it arrive? And where did it arrive from?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:24 am

Ryuichi glances at the scroll to read what is written on it. He then turns to Kuni Zenko as Eisai already asked the legionnaire taisa everything.

"Do you recognize if this has been written by Hiruma Umeko?" The Dragon asks the shugenja.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:48 am

The shugenja has some training in calligraphy, mainly so he knows the family cyphers, but it is enough to help judge the kanji before him. "Let me see that more closely." He bends over to carefully examine it. "Umeko-san was raised in the Crane, then trained with the Crab. Her strokes are quite distinctive. Hopefully the writing is not too small for me to notice her peculiarities."
I am trained in Calligraphy, if that matters.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:06 am

Kadoma answers you questions, "This is from a carrier pigeon, it is not from your companion Hiruma Umeko-sama." He turns the paper over and small symbol is on the paper, "This came from Mushi Mura, a nearby village that lies on the outskirts of the wild. It arrived in the night. Mushi Mura has one local yorikki a man by the name of Takashi. I presume was he that sent it, the hand writing appears his." He paces, "You can see my problem can't you? The Legion is busy rounding up smugglers of the opium, dealing with the missing scouts, and handling a half dozen requests for protection from the Scorpion Unicorn and Hare since the funeral of Usagi Hiroto." He turns and looks pained to ask, "I was hoping that you might be willing to investigate this for me?"
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:12 am

"For the good of the Empire, I should gladly investigate this," Eisai replies, neatly deflecting any question of who works for whom in this. "There has been trouble enough in this region that a situation like this warrants direct attention." The monks' eyes narrow ever so slightly as he considers what they must do. "What can you tell us of this village?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:41 am

He bows deeply to Eisai, "Excellent, the Empire is better for it." He really has no desire to be seen as ordering about Emerald Magistrates, and was asking only for a favor from you. He goes on to answer the question, "Not much. I rarely receive any news from Mushi Mura or Takeshi. The seasonal reports and feedback from the tax collector visisting the village once a year is about the extent of it. Given the remoteness of the village and its modest size it is hardly surprising. Takashi is an honorable man and not ambitious as I understand him, I have never met him, no been to Mushi Mura myself." He rubs his hands together as if cold, "If the rumors are to believed a few years ago he lost his wife or sickness and requested the assignment to Mushi Mura, apparently so he could grieve in peace. I do not think he has any children. It will take you four days travel from here, and you will be at the far edges of any claimed province. Beyond is the wild of the Shinomen Mori, the dark and dangerous forest."
I added a map to the OOC thread.
Last edited by Vardaen on Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:43 am

"We will glady investigate this, Kodama-san," Ryuichi says. He's quite sure that the magistrates have done anything they can do anyway as the three of them certainly cannot go hunting petty drug dealers. "Honestly, I was surprised that this message could have been from Hiruma-san as I doubt that anything that stands in her way that will be an obstacle to her testubo," he adds with a grin.
Quick question, which I don't think is something for IC: what are the Unicorn doing here? I thought Zakyo Toshi was on Scorpion-Fox-Sparrow borders... Though that could be outdated info.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 am

Kuni Zenko smiles, although it is more grim than truly friendly. "Yes, Umeko-san is truly a terror in battle. I, for one, am glad she is on our side." He looks at his two companions. "I believe the three of us should be able to handle whatever is bothering the yorikki, as long as it is within reason. If it is a bandit horde 100-strong, we will simply flee and return to gather a strike force in response. Anything smaller than that should be manageable."
The Taisa of the Imperial Legion happens to be a Unicorn (Shinjo family). "The Unicorn" as a Clan aren't here, just him. And I guess whomever among the Legionnaires happens to be Unicorn as well.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:35 pm

MWD has the right about it for the Imperial Legion. It is made up of samurai from every clan. Remember the duel with the Dragon? Kadoma is the Taisa of the Legion assigned here, it could have been any clan really.

However there is a Unicorn Delegation in the city as well, they were present at the Funeral and mentioned a few time on your arrival. Why they are here is a mystery ICly. However Zakyo Toshi is a RONIN city, the Scorpion are attempting to take control of it because it sits near their boarders, and the boarders of the Hare, but is technically no one's city (hence part of the lawless problem). The Unicorn are charged with keeping the Shinomen Mori safe by both the Naga and the Emperor (before he died) and Zakyo Toshi is darn close, so they have men and resources here for that purpose.
Kadoma bows deeply, "I shall give you direction to the village then..." he produces a map the Imperial Legion uses and traces a line from Zakyo Toshi up the edge of the Shinomen Mori to a spot not even marked, "Here is Mushi Mura, about four days travel."