Ring of Earth - Descent into Darkness

Beyond the boarders of the Emerald Empire lies a vast and diverse world centered around the Burning Sands -- a place cursed by Shilah the Sun and Kaleel the Moon. For too long the Samurai in Rokugan have remained ignorant of the greater world around them.
A danger is rising, but is it too late for the children of the Kami? Only you know that answer.Run by the Game Master Moto Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Noh Good Deed

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 am

Kuni Zenko as well makes polite small talk, and makes ready to retire for the evening. He does not need to sleep as much as other men, as the kami of the earth bouy him up at all times, but he is as human as any other. The lure of sleep calls to him, and he answers it.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Three Weeks Later -- Nearing the Shrine of Duty

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:56 pm

The rest of the evening is polite chit chat, but nothing important or dangerous happens. Even the courtly games that Igawa tries to play are simple and boring, even for this group of Magistrates. So you retire for the evening. Morning arrives, baths, breakfast, and morning katas and prayers are had in various orders as you prefer. By the end of the first hour after dawn you are standing at the gates of the Kyuden, a group of 20 mounted Lion Samurai present as an honor guard for you. You say your good-byes, confirm various letters and correspondences are being sent south, and ride out of Long Spear Castle.

The rest of the trip through Lion land is thankfully plain and simple. With an honor guard of a score of men you have nothing to fear, not that you did before, but it makes for travel through check points and boarder location very easy. You travel for 3 weeks along the roads in the Lion lands passing through Shiro Matsu, Kaeru Toshi, Tonfajutsen, Renga Muzai and Ninkatoshi. Finally you are heading on the last stretch to Toshi Ranbo and along the way you will pass the Shrine of Duty where much of this venture started from. It is up to you if you will stop to visit this temple or press on past it yo Toshi Rando the capital city.
SHIRO MATSU [L10] (Caster of the Matsu)
If the ancestral estate of the Akodo family is simple, the only word that can be used to describe the Matsu family's ancestral home is ‘stark.' The Matsu care nothing whatsoever for politics, diplomacy, or (to hear some say it) even basic common courtesy. They are warriors, one and all, and the family's general philosophy is that if war is their destiny it should be embraced eagerly. Most in the Empire would consider a position as guest at Shiro Matsu to be a terrible punishment. The Matsu are not gracious hosts and their home has nothing at all that could be considered luxury. Guests can expect only the most basic accommodations, and can also expect to be awakened well before each dawn by the cacophonous noise of hundreds or even thousands of young samurai training in the vast courtyards and drill fields surrounding the castle.

Kaeru Toshi (Captured City)
http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Kaeru_Toshi

Tonfajutsen
http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Tonfajutsen

Rengai Mura (Red Brick Village)
http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Rengai_Mura

Ninkatoshi (Permission City)
http://l5r.wikia.com/wiki/Ninkatoshi

The Shrine of Duty (Setsu Giri)
Setsu Giri lays half way between Toshi Ranbo and the Lion village of Ninkatoshi "œPermission City" (L9). Nikatoshi is a military outpost of the Lion and it was once only a farming village but the Clan War changed that. The Lion forces there are minor now as most of the forces have been moved off to muster for the pending attack against the Unicorn.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

Re: Three Weeks Later -- Nearing the Shrine of Duty

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:15 am

"I must admit, I am curious as to the current situation of the Shrine of Duty," the shugenja mentions to his fellows as they travel the road to the Imperial City. "We visited it so briefly, although with good reason. Stolen daisho traveling through, false Monks, a true travesty. We should make sure that it has been properly cleansed and sanctified again, and true servants roaming its halls."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Three Weeks Later -- Nearing the Shrine of Duty

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:34 pm

"I defer to your knowledge of the situation," Eisai replies. "But we should not delay our report much longer."
The sooner we make our report and I can get back to Dragon lands the better. I made Rank 3 months ago and still don't have the benefit of my new rank - and won't until I can get to Dragon lands.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Setsu Giri - The Shrine of Duty

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 pm

The group decides to spend an hours taking a side trip to the Shrine of Duty. It won't take too long as it is just off the road north that you must travel on anyhow. It might make for a good place to break for the day or for a meal anyhow.

A square squat building rests atop a rocky rise, a zig zagging stair cut into the rocks rises up to a torii arch at their end as a courtyard stretches out between the building and the arch. Around the base of the shrine is a small shanty town of peasants, orphans and refugees from the Khan's War on Toshi Ranbo.

The group agrees, straight to the Monks it is, and from there see where fate takes you. The trip through the small village takes nearly no time at all. The shanty town is clearly poor, as there are no samurai lords here to assist their subjects. Most of these people live off the kindness of the Monks, and what koku the Lion Clan can spare for them, however its clear that the Lion have not put much resources into assisting these people as they begin their war machine to counter attack the Unicorn.

The group rides up to the feet of the stone stairs that lead up to the monastery and shrine atop it. The stairs are impassable for the horses, and the group must dismount and climb the stairs if they are to continue on.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Setsu Giri - The Shrine of Duty

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 pm

"Perhaps one of the heimin would watch our horses for a few zeni," Eisai suggests. "It would be a kindness to hire one of them. They could use all the help they can get." He looks around for a likely candidate.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:31 pm

"Hmm," is all Ryuichi says. Like Eisai he does not like to delay for long but instead of looking for a heimin he just ties his horse to the next tree and gets ready to climb up the steps. "Better to let the heimin do their work will we do ours," the Dragon shrugs.
I'm pretty much the opposite, Trog. I'd like to delay it a bit until I reach Rank 3 because who knows when I'll get another chance for that again.
Oh man, I haven't posted here in almost 2 weeks. Boo Haya. Boo, Haya. :oops:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:14 pm

The two Dragon Magistrates are so different its amazing to think they are from the same clan. Eisai finds a young boy lingering about and tosses him a zeni to watch over his horse. The boy is grateful and full of respect, living this close to the monks of the Shrine he is used to such kindnesses from monks.

The trio of Magistrates starts up the stairs. It is a long long long climb and by the time you reach the top you are winded, at least a bit. The shrine rises up above you built on the top of the plateau here. A pair of monks in simple robes stand before you, waiting for your arrival having seen you starting the climb. Neither of these two are familiar, certainly they were not here last time you were. Last time however one of the elders was abusing opium and the other was really working for, you suspect, these unknown Spider agents.

The monks bow. Both are older men, likely retired samurai, with shaved heads, and simple robes. "Konichiwa Emerald Magistrates. How may we humble monks of Setsu Giri be of assistance to you?", one asks.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed May 01, 2013 8:51 am

"I am known as Kuni Zenko, shugenja of the Crab, and Emerald Magistrate. Myself, Togashi Ryuichi, and the monk Eisai, have come to pay homage to the Ancestors at the Shrine of Duty. We also require an audience with your Elders. We were here many months ago during an unfortunate investigation, and wish to make sure that all is now well since our last encounter." He hopes that the general introduction will either spur memory of their last visit, or at least get them to talk to those in charge.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 01, 2013 6:58 pm

Eisai simply bows to the respected monks. He appreciates the chance to see the Shrine of Duty and offer his prayers here. But he is also eager for them to get on their way.