The Great Diamond Operation

Out in the Black a body can find many things. Peace. Death. The crew of the Stargazy just wants to keep flyin' as long as they can without the meddlin' of the Alliance.

Run by Captain Cattywumpus
Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The Great Diamond Operation

Post by Joni » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:59 am

ah... doesn't matter to me. I don't think CiCi factors into that decision at all. I do think the mechanics should have to convince the captain beyond any doubt that Lily sent them.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue May 04, 2010 2:19 am

OK, then, so from now on, we'll try to look for excuses to keep the much reduced party together. Right now, Amelia is still awaiting a reply from the mechanics, trying to determine if they really are from Lily.

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Wed May 05, 2010 4:06 am

"The Lady called us from some phone.", says the confused mechanic, "She come ta us- 'cause of reputation she says. We already got the funds tranfered to our account. Makes no difference ta me if ya don't want it but it is top of the line!"
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 06, 2010 1:45 am

Amelia looks at the autopilot speculatively. "Spart, how much do you know about these things? Could you go over it to make sure it's not booby-trapped and install it yourself?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu May 06, 2010 2:26 am

"Ah'm sorry, captain, but Ah know almost nothin' 'bout this stuff," Spart says with a hint of apology in his voice. "When you mean booby-trapped like 'no explosives', then yeah, Ah could do that, but if you mean it like if the programmin' and else is fine, then, no. Ah don't know much about electronics, only a little. The stuff you need to know when you want to build a sensitive trigger for a smart mine, that's what Ah know. Ah have no idea how they want to install it. 'Cause it'd have to control the whole cockpit."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Amelia thinks for a moment, then says to the mechanics, "I don't mean any offense to you guys, but I can't let you install the autopilot without say-so from the ship's owner. You're probably all honest fellows, but I know of at least one person without any scruples who might be out to get us, so I don't want to take any chances. If you want to leave the autopilot with us though, we'll take it. I can always hire someone I trust with the requisite expertise to look it over and make it's safe and then install it."

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu May 06, 2010 10:53 pm

"Yeah," Spart agrees with the captain. "Or we could sell it and make a huge amount of money. But Ah don't think Miss Chen'd like that."

He waits for the men to leave.

Cattywumpus
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Cattywumpus » Fri May 07, 2010 1:23 am

The mechanics nod and walk away from the ship saying, "Evenin' ma'am."
I will give you all a bit to sort out the logistics of your new uninstalled equipment.
++?????++ Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start.

-- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 pm

The captain looks dubiously down at the complicated electronic device the mechanics have left behind, then says to Spart, "Please see if you can find some place safe to store this. We don't have time to worry about it right now. Once we're safely away from Ariel, we can see about finding someone trustworthy to go over this thing and properly install it, maybe when we reach Bellerophon."

She turns to the Companion and says, trying to keep her voice light, "So, CiCi, how was your night?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri May 07, 2010 11:21 pm

"Got it," Spart says and inspects the autopilot. Then he just moves the thing to the cargo hold and straps it down.
How big is that thing?