Diplomacy 1: Learner Game

Diplomacy is a strategic board game. Its main distinction from most board wargames is negotiation: Players spend much of their time forming (and betraying) alliances with other players. Set in Europe just before the beginning of World War I , Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power.
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Diplomacy 1: Learner Game

Post by Grimbold » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:48 pm

Takers (correct me if I'm wrong):
-MadVlat: Turkey
-Vardaen: Russia
-Amaris: Italy?
-Melvyst: France
- Kilroy: Germany
-3rd-I: England
-Brennor: Austria?

I'll pm Brennor to see if he is playing. If not, we could perhaps find another player?
(Estimated starting date is Monday). For those who know their nations, feel free to roleplay a bit right here.

Kilroy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kilroy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:33 am

Kilroy Von Kilroy has self-decreed himself as the leader of the modern German war machine. The people of the Motherland rejoice (or so the government controlled papers say)!

"Greetings fellow leaders! I look forward to negotiations with all of you!"
"If at first you DO succeed, try not to look surprised!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:35 pm

Drunk on Vodka and wearing very tall fur hats, the steriotype Russian Czar Vardamir Postsalot raises the hammer and sickle flag over his domain and sets his sights on the rest of soon to be Not-So-Free world.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:40 am

Havent yet heard from B. If I don't hear anything today, we will try and give Amaris Italy, and find someone else for Austria-Hungary.
I also thought of limiting the number of turns to 10. The winner is the one who controls the most supply centers after 10 turns. Tell me what you think.
"You've seen all sorts in shapes and sizes, marauding about the moppamound. How's the cock and the bullfight? And old Auster and Hungrig? And the Beer and Belly and the Boot and Ball? Not forgetting the oils of greas under that turkey in julep and Father Freeshots Feilbogen in his rockery garden with the costard? And
tid you meet with Peadhar the Grab at all?"
James Joyce: Do you recognize European Countries here?

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:14 am

Limiting to 10 rounds looks good to me, I'm still a bit busy at the moment (we are building a house and have tons to negotiate) but should be ok from wednesday on.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:45 am

Sounds good to me. We of the Ottoman empire embrace the chance to have the world bow to our whim. I Emir Tuktuk shall see that the fleeing refugees have bread and warmth in my lands. They may sit by the funeral pyres of their dead and eat of the finest goat milk cheese. Of course, they will sacrifice their women to our harems. For I tire of camel hair in my bed chamber... :roll:
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:42 pm

If Brennor doesn't wish to play I'll give it a shot.
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:59 pm

The game has officially started. Start negotiating, threatening whatever...
(Please do keep in mind that this is only a game - no real life rows...)

I would like to keep this thread a mix of ic and ooc. Put in as many flavour posts as you like and ask any rules questions here as well. Refer to the ooc rules and maps threads for more information.

The players are the following:
-MadVlat: Turkey
-Vardaen: Russia
-Amaris: Italy
-Melvyst: France
-Kilroy: Germany
-3rd-I: England
-Brennor/EvilMonkey: Austria (will join later today)

First deadline is exactly in four days (from the date of this post). I need your first orders by then (by pm). Please write "Spring 1901" as a subject, so I do not get confused.

Faites vos jeux!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:50 pm

OOC Question: How many, and where do our units start out at? What kinda troups do we begin with and where?

I would like to say to the rest of you, I'm looking forward to a good game here. I personally have never played this before, so I'm sure you don't all mind letting me win, thank you :)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:07 pm

V, take a look at the big map thread. Your starting pieces are listed there.

Army Warsaw(War)
Army Moscow(Mos)
Fleet St. Petersburg, South Coast(Stp(sc))
Fleet Stevastapol(Ste)
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...