Diplomacy 2

Diplomacy is a strategic board game. Its main distinction from most board wargames is negotiation: Players spend much of their time forming (and betraying) alliances with other players. Set in Europe just before the beginning of World War I , Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power.
Galen
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Diplomacy 2

Post by Galen » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:54 am

Greeting from Mikhail Something-ovski, your big brother to the east.

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:49 pm

I liked your rules. I would only add a couple of suggestions...
-Each player gets one freebie mistake in forgetting to submit moves, after that the GM substitutes holds in place of the regular moves (possibly creates retreats as well).
-to maintain continuity and help players in remembering when moves are due have them on the same day of the week
for example....
Tuesday and Friday moves are due and Builds must be done no later than Monday? Maybe not these exact days but something like it? I like builds over the weekend because there take little time and usually don't require too much consultation with other players.
Lastly I would suggest that if the orders are delayed don't adjust the days the next order is due (it should only be 24 hours).
Thanks!
A
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:03 pm

* Sempai needs a few days to look up the rules - he is busy at work.

I like the idea with fixed days for orders. I think Tuesday and Friday makes sense...with builds over the weekend.
Freebie mistake in submitting orders, ok.
Any other ideas?

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 am

Man law 272: All whining and griping shall fall on deaf ears after the game master has made a ruling...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

sempai
Level 12
Level 12

Post by sempai » Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:38 am

ok i'm going to read up on the rules tonight!!! i'll be ready tomarrow morning...

oh and BTW i got your turkish delight right here!!

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Image[
I am awaiting your orders. The first deadline is Tuesday (and the deadlines will be Tuesdays and Fridays from now on). So you have a long time for your first moves and also to ask questions.

Please label your posts as follows (so I do not get confused with other games):
"D2 Spring 1901 orders"
"D2 Fall 1901 orders"
"D2 Fall 1901 builds"
"D2 Spring 1902 orders" etc.

Have fun! Ask me anything you like.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:05 am

England would like to extend a warm welcome to the European collection of nation, and invite everyone to Tea this Tuesday. Friends please just show your membership card to the guards at the door, enemies leave your guns at home, you won't need them, I promise.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

I am including a big map here so everyone can see the names of all the provinces.

Keep in mind the special status of Spain, Bulgaria and St. Petersburg - for fleets, they have two coasts (north coast - ns and south coast - sc; or ec and sc).

Also note that fleets cannot move over land (doh!) and cannot support over land (e.g. a fleet in Venezia cannot support a unit in Piemont, or a fleet in Gascony cannot support a unit in Marseilles.)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:23 am

There are also some special countries that can have land units move across the water from one to the other Denmark to Sweden for example. I think there are a few more of these right Grimbold?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:32 am

Yeah, the only other is Constantinople from where you can go by land to bulgaria and ankara.