Diplomacy 3 - Gameplay

Diplomacy is a strategic board game. Its main distinction from most board wargames is negotiation: Players spend much of their time forming (and betraying) alliances with other players. Set in Europe just before the beginning of World War I , Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Diplomacy 3 - Gameplay

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:01 pm

Its not HOLDING if its SUPPORTING. So its doing both aiding an attack and defending its own territory. A Hold Order is an express order listed as something you tell a unit to do, so its getting 2 actions even if some seems like it static.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:02 pm

I see EM, but they're NOT holding. They're supporting. So in my book, which has been written just now as this was my first Diplomacy-game, it's still a 1-on-1 if that region/unit get support from an adjacent one and they're not on a Hold order.
Vardaen wrote:For what its worth, I'm pretty much done with this game any how. Turkey is on the ropes, and going to loose, there just is no way around it.

The Alliance is strong and no one is about to break. We could save ourselves alot of time if we called it here, don't you think?
Yeah, Turkey's going down, just like Russia. We can call it a day right here. And no one except seems to have sent orders anyway. The Alliance wins, the eastern invaders have been crushed. Let's invent television.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:14 pm

Hayabusa wrote:Weird 8O . I'm out of here.

Btw, this is a GAMEPLAY-thread. Someone clean it up, please.
Two good points.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Turkey surrenders content in the knowledge that it took almost the entire European continent to defeat them... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:39 pm

I'd laugh about that, too. Because it was your strategic incompetence. I didn't touch you and V barely scratched you. It was her Holyness, the beautiful Queen of Austria-Hungary who kicked you pig-loathing ass. ;)

Time for a Bacon-Party in Constantinople!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 pm

It really only took Austria, she out played you quite a few time, more times than not. Germany played a small role in that too, but if you look back at the orders, it was just Austria and a few moves from Germany against you/assisting Austria.

France did nothing but take out neutral countries (bad placement for me to do much) and England was instrumental in dealing with Russia along with Germany.

France and England never once attack Turkey, so don't getting a big head about 'taking on the world' like Haya said.

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:45 pm

However it DID take most of Europe to bring down Russia, and that wouldn't have happened if I hadn't been trying to support turkey in the second turn (I originally wanted to support Warsaw as I saw you turning on me and supporting Austria, but MV convinced me to aid him instead, which screwed me over in the long run)
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:47 pm

Once again, it was Germany and England that fought with Russia.

This game is called Diplomacy not Tactician. You two lost because of your bad Diplomacy (and the good moves of our alliance).

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Yeah, yeah. :rolleyes: Why don't we bring up "superior" strategy again? Boooring. Game's over. Russia and Turkey lost. The Alliance wins. End of discussion.

Henceforth Friday the 13th shall be known as Bacon Day!!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:11 pm

ALL HAIL BACON DAY!