Diplomacy 3 - Gameplay

Diplomacy is a strategic board game. Its main distinction from most board wargames is negotiation: Players spend much of their time forming (and betraying) alliances with other players. Set in Europe just before the beginning of World War I , Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power.
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Diplomacy 3 - Gameplay

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

ALL HAIL BACON DAY!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:54 am

I enjoyed the game everyone. Thanks to Grimbold for running it. I would be interested in playing again but probably can only play on a weekly basis.
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Melvest hasn't commented yet,but if I had to rank us...

Amaris 1
Haya 2
Melvest 3
Vardaen 4
MadVlat 5
EvilMonkey 6
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:33 pm

Ok, some comments.

1) Ok, if you want to call it quits, I agree. It might have been nice to find out what might have happened after Turkeys defeat - which New Alliances would be formed and who might turn against who.

2) It is called diplomacy, so if there is a two nations against one situation, the one nation is almost hopeless... Tactics is kind of important, but it is something like a Rock/Paper/Scissors system, so some results come up by chance. So I do not think I could in any way rank the players.

3) Experience shows that emotions come up in this kind of game and I am not too happy if there is too much "vitriol" in the game - so I will take at least a bit of a break before running more of this. Anyone who wants to run it is welcom to do so, and will find me a willing player.

4) Well, actually, a unit has a defense of one regardless of what it does. You need at least a strength of two to dislodge it. Even a unit supporting another unit will defend itself. So HOLD actually just tells the unit to do nothing. Supporting a unit defensively, as I understand it, does not mean supporting a HOLD, but just meanst it helps the unit defend itself, thus giving it a defense of two. That is pretty standard in Diplomacy and when I used to play it I often did that kind of thing.

I will clean up the thread a bit.

Is it ok if we end it here and now?
HAPPY BACON DAY!

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Ahh sorry, I din't get it that it was over :)

For me it is ok, as Grim said: If two nations turn against one you can hardly escape extermination.. and I got some feeling that I would be next ;)

Perhaps it would be interesting to play it once with two teams(with random countries), then it would turn out rather into a strategic game.

ALL HAIL BACON DAY!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I think at first Melvest you were the #4 guy in the alliance but it quickly changed to an even trust going on among all of us. I have yet to see a game go down to just 1 person at the end, heck or even 2. So far of the 4 games I've played (I think its 4) at some point an alliance just declares a shared victory.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:01 pm

You guys are just too nice. I have had several Diplomacy games where the alliances kept on changing - eg one person tricked another in believing they were allies and played the part for a year or so, and then in one Fall round, conquered three SP in one Fall round, gaining three armies and making the other guy lose them. Then they formed new alliances, later broke them and so on. I guess France could easily have attacked Germany or England and gained some additional SP in this game (same goes for other countries...). Anyway, it was fun.
Tip: Next time, we will have a Chaotic Evil Game.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I didn't behoove any of the 4 of us to betray the others. If you can't trust your alliance, then who can you trust?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:14 am

If Grim has the software (and can share it), maybe, if there was interested, I would run the game so he could play.

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:21 pm

Vardaen wrote:I didn't behoove any of the 4 of us to betray the others. If you can't trust your alliance, then who can you trust?
If we would have continued the game, betrayal would have be inevitable :twisted: