Diplomacy 3 - Gameplay

Diplomacy is a strategic board game. Its main distinction from most board wargames is negotiation: Players spend much of their time forming (and betraying) alliances with other players. Set in Europe just before the beginning of World War I , Diplomacy is played by seven players, each controlling the armed forces of a major European power.
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Diplomacy 3 - Gameplay

Post by Grimbold » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:26 pm

The problem is that the pm got lost and I never got it. Now he has sent me the orders he wanted to send me, but only when the other's orders were published. I will look into that - e.g. enter the orders he gave me today and see how things work out. I do not want a software mistake to spoil the game for anyone...

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Amaris, V, MV what do you say?

Melvyst
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Melvyst » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:43 pm

Well I did not really look at the outcome of the others but was rather surprised that my moves did not work. But still I think the "bad luck" suits better....

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:45 pm

The orders he sent me now make perfect sense, that means they fit in with Germany's actions - England has now sent me a support for a move that Germany actually has sent me on time and Germany has actually sent me a support for an English order that he has sent me now. So it does make sense...

Any other opinions?
Last edited by Grimbold on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I have yet to look at results myself.

If the site screwed him, which i know I lost several posts myself, I say let him resend.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Let me make another comment.

If this happened to you, you spent all week sending PMs back and forth planning a move. Then you sent your moves in (or thought you did) and then it turns out through no fault of your own none of those moves reached the GM. The GM posted the game anyhow, and you end up loosing armies and ground (not even just breaking even) would you still be having fun? Would you still want to keep playing? I doubt it. It is easy to say you'd get over it, but I don't think that is the case, this game is very much one that requires every turn be accounted for. We are playing on a PbP site so time isn't an issue, what's another few hours or even a day if someone for some reason hasn't got an order in? I say post Melvest's moves, they were pretty clear, I mean Germany's assist wasn't for nothing, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:21 pm

If it is a "site issue" and not the players fault I don't think the player should suffer. My two cents.
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Just to add, if there is concern that moves were adjusted can an impartial admin go through his sent box (for this mail only)? I don't believe that is so, but this IS war :).
7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 pm

Post them. However, next time shout block a warning to the missing player. If they don't respond then fate has a hand in it...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Amaris
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Amaris » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:00 pm

How about we are responsible for seeing a response mail from Grim? (Which would ask that he mails us saying he got it) within 24 hrs of sending it? If we don't see it we post here and pm Grim.